This week was me and my husband’s 5th year wedding anniversary. Celebrating has brought back so many great memories. Especially, memories about what I ate and how I exercised during the weeks leading up to the big day.
Unlike typical brides, my wedding dress was a little revealing and showed off my mid-section! Thinking about showing my stomach to all my friends and family scared the you know what out of me. This was the only thing I needed to keep myself super disciplined day in and day out.
I worked out 5 days a week. I resisted offers for co-worker birthday cake and sweets at the office. I ate in for the majority of the time and created a routine of foods to stick with.
As I strolled down memory lane, a particular soup I made kept popping up in my mind… So I decided to make it yesterday in honor of our anniversary weekend. It’s based on mostly green vegetables of kale and celery, but also includes some protein sources of cannellini beans and organic chicken.
I ate this soup every week for a few months. I call it the “Wedding Weight Loss Soup” because it really helped curb my appetite and satisfied the urge for something warm and comforting at night. I didn’t have a wedding planner, so I was crazy busy every night doing something for the wedding. I made this on Mondays and it lasted me a few days so I wouldn’t have to cook every night. Left overs were so easy to heat up on the stove for 10 mins.
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP of olive oil
- 1 large organic onion chopped
- 1 bunch organic celery chopped (including green leafy tops)
- 1 bunch organic kale chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound organic chicken breast
- 4 cups organic chicken broth (if you buy packaged – make sure it doesn’t have any yeast extract or autolyzed yeast – a hidden name for MSG)
- 2 cups water
- 1 can of "Eden Foods" organic cannellini beans (this is the only canned product brand I use, the liners are guaranteed BPA Free)
- Salt and pepper organic chicken breast on each side, cut into small cubes and set aside
- Heat large pot with olive oil on medium for about 3-5 mins
- Add chopped onions and celery and cook until soft about 5-7 mins
- Add the bay leaf, broth, water and chicken and turn heat up to high
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat down to a simmer for 10 mins
- After 10 mins add cannelloni beans and chopped kale and cook another 10 mins
- Remove bay leaf before serving
- Serve with Mary’s Gone Crackers (onion is my favorite!)