So Fresh and So Clean – Skin Care Tips

As promised in my “Be a Drug Store Beauty Dropout” post last week…coming to all Food Babe readers from my lovely bathroom – Check out this “off the cuff” video to learn all about my skin care regime from day to night! And yes – I am in my PJs again.  I live in them when I am not at work during the week.

Remember these important points when considering changing your skin care regime:

Food Babe’s Skin Care Video Notes:Your skin is your largest organ!  What you put on your skin, is absorbed into your blood. Nurture it, be kind to it, and most importantly LOVE it!

1.  Have you tried searching for the products you use on EWG’s cosmetic database cosmetic database?  I did a few months ago and was saddened to learn one of my favorite shampoos was a 9! WTF! Needless to say – I didn’t buy another bottle.
  2.  Try to pick products that are all below a rating of  3 on the EWG cosmetic database
  3.  Check all your products individually for safety.  Don’t assume if you use a certain brand, your product is safe.  Many companies have products across the spectrum from really safe and natural to horribly deadly.
  4.  If you find out that some of the products you use are harmful, go ahead and use them until they are gone and then replace them with new safer products.
  5.  When in doubt, use natural oils on your skin.  Sesame is considered one of the best because it contains several vitamins and minerals, has been known to fight skin cancer, is naturally antibacterial and when it is absorbed in your blood stream it can prevent migraines, diabetes and hepatitis.  My favorite reason to use sesame oil – it’s a natural sunscreen and protects your skin from chlorine in a pool, radiation, and air pollution!
  6.  Vote with your dollars!  Stop supporting companies that are harming the environment, your family and most importantly your own body with crazy chemicals!
  7.  Unscented products are best – when you use perfume, do you spray 10 different kinds on your body at once? Seriously, this is really important – buy everything unscented and then scent yourself with natural fragrances created from mostly plants.
  8.  What works for me, may not work for you – there are so many great natural products available now, you WILL find some that suit you.  It might take you some time navigating through the “old” world of natural beauty!  God knows, I’ve been through several trials and errors.

So…. Where in the world do you find the products I mentioned in my video?

You can get them at most natural health stores – but you can also save a ton of money getting them here on the internet!   Online shopping is a must once you find a product you like. I like to buy my favorites in bulk, so I never have to worry about trying to find them or running out.

Note – if you use the online shopping links provided, Food Babe will get a small kickback, which will be used for future funding of the site and continuous education to share with all of you!

Here are all of the product details…

When I Wake Up:

First thing in the morning before I put on my contacts – I use unscented Kiss My Face hand soap

Then after I drink my hot water with lemon and organic coffee, I brush with Dessert Essence (Please note – I don’t use Tom’s anymore because of fluoride) and head off to my morning exercise

After I get back – I use the unscented hand soap from Kiss My Face again to clean my hands from all the exercise equipment I touched. I do not use the cleaners that the gym provides because they are toxic.

Then I jump in the shower, where I lather up with Kiss my Face Pure Olive Oil Soap

Then I proceed to shave with unscented Kiss My Face Moisture Shave

On my face I use McBride Beauty Wheat Germ and Avocado Replenishing Night Cream during the day because my skin tends to be dry, however they make a day cream too if your skin is more oily!

Night Creme

To moisturize my body I use a combination of Avalon Organics Hand and Body Lotion Unscented with Aloe and Sesame oil – I put about a 1/8 cup of oil into the lotion.

Sesame Oil

During the Day:

If I find myself getting dry from the super air conditioning in my office I use Kiss my Face Olive My Body balm on any area, including my cuticles and lips

Before Bed:

I ALWAYS wash my face before going to bed. I use Avalon Organics CoQ10 Facial Cleansing Milk to clean most of the makeup off my face, if I have heavy eye makeup on, I will use a little Sesame oil on a cotton ball and swipe my eye lids as well. Don’t spend a fortune on eye makeup remover, just use a natural oil.

Then I hydrate again with McBride Beauty Night Cream and my special mixture of lotion on my hands, elbows and knees

Next it’s time to sleeeeep! Good Night!!!!

Hair & makeup specific posts to come soon!

103 Responses to “So Fresh and So Clean – Skin Care Tips”

1. Meggie Sophia

TOOTHPASTE: I’ve been using baking soda for about 3 years now, disgusted with all the brands out there. Maybe if I grind up some calcium carbonate tablets…? lol But that wouldn’t taste any better.

FACE SCRUB: If you have tender skin, rosacea acne, sensitive skin, oat flour is the way to go, and really cheap. It’s so gentle it doesn’t feel like it’s doing anything, but it’s working. Just watch.

Corn flour is more “scrubby” and good for normal skin. Add coconut oil and honey.

I’ve been using baking soda for 3 years on normal skin, and yes I’d like to use something else, but I’m clueless….?? I love finishing off my face with coconut oil.

I am not happy with Kiss My Face. Read the ingredients. I was disappointed

• Jeanette (to Meggie Sophia)

I mix coconut oil and baking soda. It’s more creamy than abrasive, so I get a little but of a scrub and instant moister at the same time. I use it on my skin – face included and I use it for toothpaste. Love it.

• Melvina (to Meggie Sophia)

Have you tried making your own deodorant? Sounds like you might be down for it with the ingredients you listed. I love making my own, so much safer! (and dare I say, more effective)

2. Dana

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing all this great information. When I looked for the Mcbrides facial moisturizer mentioned above I cannot seem to find it. I do notice Sears carries this product with a similar name….CAN you please tell me if this is the same or as good of a product?
    Nature&’S Gate Night Cream Avocado – 2 Oz

3. burcu

Mcbride night cream ingredients list says it has retinol palmitate,xantam gum, tetrasodium edta and citric acid. Is it still safe to use?

4. Joy

I cannot find the exact McBride cream you talked about here but found this

However it says “natural” but not organic and cannot find info on EWG’s skin deep. Also has this ingredient in it: Tetrasodium EDTA a preservative that’s made from the known carcinogen, formaldehyde and sodium cyanide.

I am looking for a moisturizer for day and night. Right now I am not using anything and in the winer it wasn’t the best idea but I rather be a bit dry than wear scary stuff LOL I’ve gone w/out make up for a year (and I really, really miss Mascara). Tried making my own, that was a disaster!

5. http://www.arganoilacne.org/

Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?
    I am satisfied to seek out numerous helpful information here in the post, we’d like work out more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing.

. . . . .

6. Julie

McBride Beauty – can’t find it anywhere! Where is it? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

7. Shirley Pollman

What skincare would you recommend for 60 yr old woman. I’ve always used, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Avon, & Retinol. I am very sick and need to use all natural skincares. Which do you suggestion??

• Lynn (to Shirley Pollman)

Shirley, I am an independent consultant with a company called NYR Organic. We are a certified organic health/beauty company. Feel free to check out our products via my website. If you are interested in trying any samples, use the contact me button on my site and I will be happy to send you some! My ultra sensitive skin has been transformed by these amazing products!

8. Succulent Succotash

What kind of body wash do you use?

9. Cheryll

I use Hylunia skin care. It’s organic and vegan. Awesome products!

10. Shannon

Tom’s has a flouride free toothpaste also. That’s what I use.

11. Jill Graham

A chemist friend of mine advised against using CoQ10, as can alter DNA. I appreciate your blog, but you might want to do more research on that particular ingredient.

12. Alli

What would you recommend for a facial moisturizer with sunscreen?

• christine (to Alli)

Arbonne has day creams with spf. 100% vegan with no gmo’s, parabens, phthalates, fragrances and other harmful ingredients.

13. Gaby

I bought the olive oil soap at my local publix. YUCK. It stinks to high heaven and it makes me feel dry. Hey FB, I have two bars wrapped still if you want them, tell me where to send it. I wont be using that ever again.

14. Terri

I would love to hear what you think about L’BRI products! They aren’t listed in EWG either way, but I love them and did way before I became a consultant.

If you would be willing to try them, I’ll even send you a bag of samples. Just email me.

I promise I don’t scour the internet to find places to post stuff like this. Someone linked me to your great article on deodorant/aluminum and I started surfing your site from there. Lots of great info!

15. Toma

The best night cream&day cream&moistiruzer&cleanser- olive oil or coconut oil. I mix it together and it’s even better. It’s simple but it really work…

16. Lindsay

I’m having trouble finding a face moisturizer with a low rating on EWG’s website AND that is Cruelty-Free. I looked into the McBride moisturizer and was also unable to find it on the EWG website, and it appears the company does test on animals.

Does anyone have any recommendations??

17. Brenda

Love your website– and found this page since I am searching for a toothpaste that does not contain carageenan. I was surprised that the toothpaste you use contains it. But hopefully I can find one via the EWG website– thanks for posting!

18. sue and joe

Vani any changes to your current skin care routine since you first wrote this article? Getting ready to make skincare/cosmetic transition. THANK YOU SO MUCH

19. Kelly Bonanno (@Savvysuburban)

Good advice. We absolutely vote with our dollars. What we put on our bodies is just as important as what we put in it. The BEST organic skin & body care I have tried is Ava Anderson Non Toxic. I know you like their mascara, so you’ll love the skin care (excellent hair care too). Many brands, like Kiss My Face, have certain clean products but some others have harmful chemicals. Ava’s entire line is pure, 0-1 on EWG’s cosmetic database Skin Deep. http://www.avaandersonnontoxic.com/shop/

20. ELLEN GORDINIER

I have been using Natures Way in Hampstead N.C. 9102703036 for awhile now and can not believe how wonderful it it has been on my skin The best part it is ALL pure with nothing in it but organic almond oil, coconut oil,beeswax,coca butter and any of the essential oils. There soaps are with the same pure ingredients plus. I use their dog soap also they have tea oil cedar oil plus oils that keep insets off it rinses so well . My dogs have NO more skin problems All less then $ 6.00

21. Dawn

Does anyone know if the Aura Cacia organic Sesame oil comes in a size larger than 4oz?

22. Tamara

Thank you for this advice! Always reading but never really reacting to your super interesting posts. All the way from Holland reading with pleasure what you do. For toothpaste I’m using this one http://ow.ly/CBvh4 Very happy with it! Keep on posting! Sharing is caring

23. Melvina

Kiss my face is the best! I really need to do some reviews on these natural products. Thanks for the great list!

24. Sara

I have always had acne problems and nothing seemed to work. I came across the oil cleansing method last year and have been so happy with the results! There are many oils to choose from depending on your skin type; I have had the best results so far with a mix of castor oil, hemp oil and sunflower seed oil (must be organic and unrefined). I use a few drops of grapeseed oil with a drop of tamanu or neem oil at night for a moisturizer. My skin is never oily and while not perfect, it is the definitely the clearest it has ever been (I am 39 years old). For a natural deodorant, try 2 Oz of lemon juice with 2 drops of tea tree essential oil and 2 drops of lemon essential oil in a little spray bottle. Works better than any store bought deodorant I’ve ever tried and all natural! If you have sensitive skin, you may need to dilute with extra lemon juice as the oils are strong and can cause minor skin irritation, as I discovered. Making your own products allows a lot of flexibility to find what works for you.

25. katie

Hi!

I just put some of the products you use into the ‘skin deep’ website. I noticed that the ‘kiss my face’ moisture shave is a number 6! Do you have any other recommendations of a product for shaving? I really liked it and ordered it before I checked the site!

• Assistant to Food Babe (Pam) (to katie)

Hi Katie – I just checked the EWG website for this product and it is rated a 4:

However, it appears the ingredients they have are incorrect. It doesn’t contain RETINYL ACETATE (VITAMIN A ACETATE), which is the ingredient that they have issue with.

Ingredients per Kiss My Face website:
      Aqua, Myristic Acid, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Allantoin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Nut Butter, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Arnica Montana (Arnica) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Root Extract, Equisetum Hyemale (Horsetail) Extract, Alchemilla Vulgaris (Lady’s Mantle) Leaf Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Leaf Extract, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Extract, Saponaria Officinalis (Soapwort) Root Extract, Nasturtium Officinalis (Watercress) Leaf Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose