Have you been duped by the cosmetics industry? Do you suffer from acne, eczema, psoriasis or rosacea? And can’t figure out how to get rid of it? What foods can you eat for strong, shiny and healthy hair? Are you using safe shampoo, conditioner and styling products?
Check out this video on holistic hair care for answers! P.S. There is a surprise ending!
Food Babe’s Holistic Hair Video Notes & Extra Tips:
- Your skin is your largest organ! What you put on your hair, is absorbed into your blood through your scalp and face. Nurture it, be kind to it, and most importantly LOVE it!
- Eat foods that have a rich source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids & all the essential amino acids like chia seeds, hemp seeds and flaxseeds. Your hair is made up of protein, getting all the essential amino acids will help it get stronger and grow more lustrous
- Silica found in cucumbers, cabbage and celery are great to improve elasticity of hair preventing split ends!
- Joy McCarthy, a registered holistic nutritionist recommends to eats lots of dark leafy greens like Kale that provide Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Iron which are critical for healthy, strong and shiny hair. She also says to eat lots of legumes too! Brittle hair is often caused by a deficiency in biotin which is found in beans.
- Choose hair care products fragranced with natural smells from essential oils, herbs, fruits and vegetables.
- Sleep on a 100% silk pillowcase – not only will this help you prevent bed head – it will help you get less wrinkles on your face.
- Have you tried searching for the hair care products you use on EWG’s cosmetic database? I did and was saddened to learn so many popular hair care brands were rated 8-10!
- Try to pick hair care products that are all below a rating of 3 on the EWG cosmetic database.
- Check all your hair care products individually for safety. Don’t assume if you use a certain brand, your product is safe. Many companies have products across the spectrum from really safe and natural to horribly deadly.
- Stop relying on fancy marketing and celebrities to choose brands.
- Vote with your dollars! Stop supporting companies that are harming the environment, your family and most importantly your own body with crazy chemicals!
- What works for me, may not work for you – there are so many great natural products available now, you WILL find some that suit you. It might take you some time navigating through the “old” world of natural beauty! God knows, I’ve been through several trials and errors.
Here are my absolute favorite holistic hair care products below and links on where to get them-
- John Masters Lavender Rosemary for Normal Hair – Shampoo that gets your hair luxuriously shiny and soft.
- John Masters Organics Evening Primrose Shampoo For Dry Hair – I love this shampoo because I have to wash my hair more often than I like. Oh the sacrifices for HOT YOGA! I am also a “Vata” Dosha – so I have a tendency to have dry skin and hair.
- John Masters Organics Two in One – Zinc & Sage Shampoo and Conditioner – Great for the men and to replace head and shoulders!
- John Masters Organics Lavender and Avocado Intensive Conditioner – I love this stuff. It makes my hair smell like candy. An avocado based dessert infused with lavender for your hair
- John Masters Organics Rosemary & Peppermint Detangler Conditioner – Amazing, workings like a charm and I love the smell!
- Argan Oil – Make the switch, stop using chemical laden Moroccan Oil. 100% pure argan oil works just the same making your hair smooth, frizz free, shiny and dry faster.
- Giovanni Direct Leave in Conditioner – By far my favorite leave in conditioner. I love this stuff – I can wash my hair at night, leave this in and not dry it at all. My hair ends up looking fabulous with little to no effort in the morning! Giovanni also make an array of good styling products like mousse and hair spray that is less toxic.
- Aubrey Organics Hair Care – They have the most fantastic products that are all safe! My favorite is the “Tangle and Go” primrose hair spray. Makes my hair smell like fresh roses! I also like the volumizing shampoo and conditioner and the honeysuckle. (I used to eat the honey out of honeysuckles as a kid… it’s been years and this shampoo brings back so many childhood memories!)
- Avalon Organics Hair Care – I’ve tried A LOT of their products, I love the peppermint shampoo and conditioner, it’s my favorite and rated a 2 on EWG.org.
If you know someone who is suffering from facial skin problems like eczema, acne or roseaca or needs some hairy advice, please share this post with them!
Check out my past posts on safe cosmetics -
And Part 2 of this post – Hairy Afterthoughts, Holistic Hair Care