I am so pumped my Mom is hosting Thanksgiving this year. Last night we came up with the menu and I absolutely can’t wait to share the yummy organic Thanksgiving recipes we are going to make. This is a perfect recipe for a side dish and it might just make the menu – It was something I made on Saturday night because I had a huge organic spaghetti squash on my counter for the last two weeks. Winter squash like this have a ton of nutrition, packed with vitamins and minerals because they have much more time to produce nutrients compared to summer squash. You can also store it longer – sometimes up to 6 months!
Spaghetti Squash is not something everyone knows about – After discovering it – I told everyone about it and they were like “eh!What? When you cook it, it comes out like real spaghetti?” I responded “Like duh, that’s why they call it spaghetti squash”! This is one of the most versatile pasta substitutes available. It has 1/4 of the calories of traditional pasta per cup…meaning you can eat and eat and eat some more. One of my favorite ways to eat this squash – is straight up with homemade spicy tomato sauce and raw goat’s milk hard cheese. Heavenly. See Below -
Back to the recipe – This is my take on traditional yellow squash casserole that is usually made with lots of cream, bread crumbs, eggs and cheese. I used ZERO of these ingredients making it a nutritional powerhouse dish. Hope you love it as much as my husband and I do!
Eat Well Folks!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- olive oil for spraying
- 1 and ½ cups water
- 5 leaves fresh sage minced finely or ½ tsp dried
- ⅛ cup spelt or whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp tumeric
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- fresh ground pepper
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Make quinoa according to package instructions with vegetable broth instead of water
- Spaghetti Squash:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice spaghetti squash in half and remove all seeds with spoon
- Place spaghetti squash face down on large baking sheet, add ½ cup water and cover with foil
- Cook spaghetti squash for 45 mins
- Once cooked, take a fork and scrap out inside of squash into a large baking dish
- Cheese Sauce:
- Combine water, flour, ground pepper, red pepper flakes, turmeric, nutritional yeast and mix together to combine and set aside
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add olive oil to heat
- Sautee garlic for 2-3 mins, making sure not to burn
- Add sage and cook lightly until fragrant
- Next add the liquid flour & spice mixture to the pan. The mixture should begin to bubble and start to thicken, if not – increase heat
- Allow sauce to bubble for about 2-3 mins, and then add lemon juice and mustard and cook another 2 mins
- Assembly of Casserole:
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over squash in baking dish
- Top with quinoa and lightly spray with olive oil
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins and broil on high for last 5-10 mins to brown the top
This recipe is also great re-heated in the oven – Thanksgiving leftovers are the best, no?
Would love to hear from you! Like my Facebook Fan Page and say Hello or send me a question!
Sending you lots of good energy!