Food Babe’s Pantry Staples

This post right here has been long in the making! The question “What’s in your pantry and/or how can I stock my pantry” has been asked so many times via email, Facebook or in comments…Sorry it’s taken so long to finally share this information with you!

I’ve put together a list of all the items in my cupboard that are must haves (I don’t really have a pantry – it’s a make shift broom closet converted)… And there will be no pictures or peaking in this make shift pantry either, because it is a DISASTER! Spices are falling from being stacked too high, things are shoved in left and right, random oat groats spilled everywhere, it’s absolute chaos in there! My husband calls the whole scene one big booby trap and thinks I’m out to get him. Can you see it now – “Food Babe’s husband knocked unconscious by spaghetti sauce”

IMG 0448

One day I’ll have a walk-in pantry and never have to live through this embarrassment again – One day.

A couple of things you’ll notice about my staples – They are all certified organic (unless noted otherwise), you won’t see processed soy products, there’s no white enriched flour anywhere, or refined sugar. A clean pantry like this is easily attainable with the right swaps and choices. You can do it!

One of the best things I ever did was clean out my cabinets about 5 years ago and got rid of all the chemical filled junk. I donated it all and I haven’t looked back. That includes things like baking powder with aluminum that I could have continued to use for another year or two…but made a decision that I could afford to do better.

If you know me, you know this – I’d rather spend money on food vs. anything else. This is why my husband and I have shared a car for last 4 years…this is the reason why I prefer to eat at home or eat at the best restaurant that I know will serve the highest quality ingredients. This is why when I travel, I take pricey travel size foods like packets of green vibrance, raw almond butter and chia seeds with me. This is why it doesn’t bother me to shop at the best places for food like Healthy Home Market and Earth Fare. But this is also why, I will save an 1/8 of an organic red onion. I am crazy about not wasting good food either!

Ok onto the list… I’ve included a printable version right here – Food Babe’s Pantry Staples, in case you’d like to print it out for reference or to take to the grocery store! Happy browsing, shopping and eating!

Breakfast/Breads Drinks
Oat Groats Larry’s Beans Coffee
Steel Cut Oats Synergy Kombucha
Gluten Free Rolled Oats Harmless Harvest 100% Raw Coconut Water
Ezekiel English Muffins – Cinnamon Raisin GT’s Kombucha
Ezekiel Bread – Sesame Assorted Yogi, Traditional Medicinals, & Numi Teas
Nature’s Path Hemp Waffles
Chia Seeds (Whole) Dessert/Sweets
Flaxseeds (Whole) Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (not organic)
Jay Robb Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (not organic) Green’s and Black’s White Chocolate
Navitas Naturals Hemp Protein Sunspire 65% Dark Chocolate Chips
Arrowhead Mills Puffed Kamut Righteously Raw Bars
Ezekiel Cereal – Any flavor Van’s Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches
Kaia Foods Raw Buckwheat Granola Coconut Bliss Ice Cream – Ginger Cookie
Coconut Bliss Ice Cream – Cherry Amaretto
Pasta/Grains Seitenbacher Strawberry Alligator Gummies (not organic)
Organic Planet Buckwheat Soba Noddles Go Raw Coconut Cookies
Organic Planet Whole Wheat Udon Noddles Yummy Earth – Butterscotch Drops
Organic Planet Whole Wheat Lomein Noddles Twin Cakes – Cashew Coconut Biscotti (not organic)
Ezekiel Penne Pasta Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
Ezekiel Linguine Erewhon Brown Rice Cereal
TruRoots Sprouted Quinoa Assorted Pacari Chocolate
Quinoa Flakes
Farro Condiments/Other Staples
Brown Rice Ketchup
Red Himalayan Rice Yellow Mustard
Oat Flour Apple Cider Vinegar
Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Cold-Pressed Olive Oil
Whole Wheat Panko Bread Crumbs Nutiva Hemp Oil
Spelt Flour Coconut Oil
Tamari
Beans Eden Farm’s Ponzu Sauce (not organic)
Eden Farms – Garbanzo Beans Eden Farm’s Miran (not organic)
Eden Farms – Red Kidney Beans Balsamic Vinegar
Eden Farms – Black Beans Organic Rice Wine Vinegar
Eden Farms – Cannelli Beans Maple Syrup
TruRoots Sprouted Lentils Raw Local Honey
Green Lentils Pickles
Yellow Lentils Olives
Dry Garbanzo Beans Himalayan Sea Salt
Dry Non-Irradiated Spices (Too many to list!)
Nuts/Dried Fruit Imagine Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
Snacks Frozen Artichokes
Unique Splits – Sprouted Wheat Pretzels
Mary’s Gone Crackers – Onion & Plain
Mary’s Gone Sticks and Twig Pretzels – Sea Salt & Curry
Late July Summer Blues Tortilla Chips
Late July Yellow Corn Chips
Suzie’s Thin Cakes – Flax & Spelt (not organic)
Twin Cakes – Plain Jane Crackers (not certified organic)
Twin Cakes – Kale Crackers (not certified organic)
Mauk Family Farms Raw Wheat Free Crusts
Organic Popcorn (Dry Kernels – not microwave bags)

If you have any questions about the brands I choose or staples I have – Please feel free to ask away! There is a method behind my madness and choices! I’ve been through lots of trial and error…everything on this list comes highly recommended!

You can even find some of the items on the Food Babe Shop – Have you checked that out yet?

Toot a Loo!

Vani Always Smiling

, ,

34 Responses to “Food Babe’s Pantry Staples”

1. Janice

Thank you so much for all the info! You are the beat! I have a question regarding supplements. I take juice plus, vitamin d3, calcium, fish oil and vitamin c in the morning with my glowing green smoothie. Do I need to take chlorella and/vibrance later in the day if at all. I don’t want to over do the vitamin intake.
    If I am traveling and know healthy eating will be a challenge, is it wise to use the vibrance in the place of fresh fruit and veggies.
    Again, thanks so much.

• Food Babe (to Janice)

Green vibrance has amazing benefits beyond the supplements you are already taking – Spriulina, Chlorella, Wheatgrass and Probiotics are just some of the whole foods based super foods it has and hard to get otherwise… I would still take it, but at the later half of your day based on your routine… Also it is absolutely perfect for travel! Keeps your body alkaline when you don’t have the best of options! Good Luck Janice!

2. Jessica Britt

Thanks so much for all of the great posts, and for informing all of us who care about food and health! :) I’m the same way. I’d rather spend more $ on food than anything else! Health is wealth, and without health, we have nothing.

• Food Babe (to Jessica Britt)

Totally Jessica – Thanks for being such great support on here and on my Facebook page. I love all the things you are always sharing with me and Food Babe readers!

3. Mary Beth!

I would love to get lost in your pantry. My list is very similar, but there are a few things I can’t wait to try on your list… good thing I *LOVE* grocery shopping. :)

• Food Babe (to Mary Beth!)

Come on over, get lost and while you are at it, want to organize it a bit? LOL.

4. Rachel T Bardin

Question about your pantry…

How do you manage the supply and how often do you replenish? Do you buy 2 of everything so you always have one on hand?

• Food Babe (to Rachel T Bardin)

Hi Rachel! Good Question! I usually buy a few packages of all my favorites (like quinoa, lentils, etc) and when I am getting low – I’ll add it to the list that week to get at the store or order on the internet. If I am lucky and get to eat lunch at home, I’ll have to replenish more often :)

5. Cady

Chia seeds… why? Protein? Can you share more about those? I know a few posts have mentioned you take them to work daily and sometimes add them to your Hari Shake or green smoothie/juice. I am just curious as to why. Thanks!

6. Stephanie

Thank you for your dedication! Can you list all of your shopping resources including websites? I’d love a complete list of where you go to shop for your groceries & supplements at home as well as in a pinch while traveling. Whiole Foods, Fresh Market, local farmers markets & Natural Grocers of my favorites. Fortunatly Inow live in Denver where I have these options available- but I’ve lived in various smaller towns for months at a time for work and the choices were limited to the small local grocery where I was lucky just to find wheat bread much less a “natural and healthy” selection.
    But let’s pretend I’m in your zip and availability isn’t a factor….where do you shop? And what are your go-to websites you order from, even the ones you use for just one specifc item like coconut palm sugar? Essentially can you share your “shopping tour”?

7. Sue

What brands of dried fruit do you purchase and where?

• Food Babe (to Sue)

Made by Nature “Organic” – you can get them at whole foods, earth fare and home healthy market. I also like organic dried fruit at trader joes or in the bulk bins at natural supermarkets.

8. Kathy

Thanks for sharing this list. I saw some local raw honey at my local farmstand yesterday. It even had some honeycomb in it. Could you explain why you purchase raw honey? I have two small children and am wondering if its safe for them to eat it raw? Years ago, someone told me not to give it to kids and I can’t remember why…probably just some scaremongering?

9. Kelly Jones

Hi!
    Where do you find whole wheat panko? I didn’t even know someone made it!

Kelly

10. jamie

when you say Dry Non-Irradiated Spices does that mean most spices we r buying are irradiated? Is it labeled?

11. melissa.martinez74@gmail.com

Well, I bought Ezekial English muffins, organic cherries, organic necterines, dried Goji berries (expensive little suckers) organic cream cheese, sprouted pumpkin seeds… It’s a great start for me to begin including more Super foods into my everyday life. I can’t thank you enough, really!

12. melissa.martinez74@gmail.com

Oh yes, I also ordered In Defense of Food to my Android Kindle. Huge.
    Gigantic strides. Keep doing what you are doing, Sister (lovingly) it has a huge impact on this food babe babe!

• Food Babe (to melissa.martinez74@gmail.com)

Awe – You are welcome Melissa.

13. Marina

I too have a question about the spices, how do you know if they are irradiated?
    It is too late, I need to go to sleep, but I can’t stop reading your blog. I am ready to clean everything out, but I need the husband to agree, and prepare for the 5 year old tantrum, he probably won’t get the “why”; he’s already so addicted to sugar at such a young age, and we aren’t even that bad, I have a reputation of bringing fresh fruit and veggies as snacks to play dates. I had a friend say to the kids one time while making a “yuck” face: “you can always count on Marina to bring fruit and veggies”. Yes, Yes you can!

14. Kathleen Nielsen

What “milk do you use on your cereal?

15. Teresa

Hi! I’ve enjoyed reading your blog and have learned a lot. I’m wondering why you don’t grind your own wheat though? Or maybe I just missed it. Thanks for sharing with us!

16. Alex

I found your website several months ago, and have been working my way through all of your posts. I’ve really enjoyed learning all you have to teach! I was wondering, though, what brand of pickles you buy. I have always loved them, but am not able to find any that don’t have tons of chemicals in them. Thanks for any help you can offer!

17. Jenny

Hi Food Babe!

I see at least three items in this article that incorrectly say Eden Farms instead of Eden Foods. I grew up in Clinton, Michigan and drove by Eden Foods nearly every day of my young life and I always wondered what was going on in there! In first grade, I remember that a classmate’s mother brought different foods from there into our classroom for us to try like sea vegetable chips and rice noodles and that I wasn’t a big fan! Oh how things change . . .

18. Beth

Could you elaborate on which teas you drink? I’ve been wanting to drink more, but I get completely overwhelmed when trying to pick some out. I don’t like anything too “spicy” or strong. Would also love any detox type teas. I did buy the cranberry tea you recommended and really like it! Thanks in advance for your help :)

19. Jen

I am wondering what brand of coconut oil you use? I want to start using it but am not sure which brand is best! Thanks!

20. Kristy Kelley

Just wanted to drop by and tell you I LOVE your blog. I found it through 100 Days of Real Food. Great information here! Thanks for dissecting what you have in your pantry. I try to keep things basic but it’s good to have some ideas for prepared food that you approve! Thanks again!

– Kristy @ Wine Logic

21. Jennifer

Thanks for posting this lost. I notice that you have a few things that are not organic, chocolate chips for example. I know earth fare has organic chocolate chips in their bulk section, is there a reason why you use the ones you do? Also, I notice that you eat some grains that contain gluten. As I understand, it’s difficult for everyone to digest, taxes your body’s energy and is associated with many symptoms, your thoughts?

22. Caryn Brereton

no yogurt on your list? We eat a lot of yogurt. We used to use Wallaby and Oikos, both organic, but my husband brought home Fage (non-organic), and now that is all my family will eat. I must admit, it is thicker and creamier than any other yogurt I’ve tried. They sell it at Whole Foods so I am hoping it can’t be that bad for you. I emailed the company to see if they use any GMOs to produce the product but have not heard anything back.

23. Janice Burke

Read your comment about spices and agree that spices are hard to organize, have been using stacked turn-tables, but I saw a post elsewhere about using broom closet organizers. You can attach them to the cabinet (or closet) door so they do not take up shelf space and you can organize them anyway you like. Need a spice? Just pluck it out, no need to search.

24. Nilda Pannhoff

Modern closets can be built into the walls of the house during construction so that they take up no apparent space in the bedroom, or they can be a large, free-standing piece of furniture designed for clothing storage, in which case they are often called a wardrobe or armoire. Closets are often built under stairs, thereby using awkward space that would otherwise go unused.:

Our very own blog site
    <http://www.healthmedicinelab.com

25. Stephanie

Dear Amazing Vani :)

Thank you – first of all… for all you do and for this amazing post. My sister and I have been loading up our pantry bit by bit with awesome things and this helps tremendously. We have been collecting glass containers for our awesome walk in pantry – it makes a huge difference!

I am from Greensboro, a fellow lover of Luna’s Living Kitchen, a North Carolinian, and hopeful future B-School attender (bc of the info you shared)! Luna’s juices are just amazing aren’t they?!!! Those guys are just awesome! I love the beet one & the others too. Anyway – I just adore the work you do.

Okay, I have a question for you: I think I read somewhere, that some peeled tomatoes in-can, are peeled via lye! Ughhhh. I use fresh produce but so surprised to hear that they use this practice on a vegetable! Have you heard of this? I wonder if you have done a segment on canned food dangers? I know I’ve heard you say that canned goods are dangerous because of the bpa in them but I was wondering if you could tell us more. Maybe I missed this information in your site.

Side note: Btw, my awesome Dad loves sugar free-stuff, and of course is trying to do something “better” for himself with his choices. Well, since Dad also loves to read…. I shared your diet drinks/Vita Water article with him and it really stuck!. He said, ”So basically, i’m drinking the least of the worst… not so good” ;) he was referring to Vitamin Water he has “upgraded to” from diet sodas. He is well on his way. Knowledge is power and he is taking big steps in the right direction -thanks to people like you. He is off diet sodas for a while now and heading away from Vitamin Water too. I always say – at least if we understand what’s going on behind the scenes we have a chance to make a choice! We don’t have to be perfect but just try to apply things one by one as we learn and then big changes happen really fast :) It’s unstoppable, because you just can’t let loved ones eat non-foods!

Vitamin Water (and other harmful drink info) article here: http://foodbabe.com/2013/01/25/coca-colas-low-calorie-beverages-will-kill-you-before-they-solve-obesity/

Thanks Vani <3
    Much love
    Xoxo ~ Steph

26. Susan

Hi! Would you recommend taking a kombucha supplement like Garden of Life RAW capsules or is the tea more beneficial? Thanks for your insight!

27. Eric

The link to the PDF is broken…. FYI

28. Angeline

Hello Vani, what brand of aluminum free baking powder do you buy? Thanks!

Angeline