I’m always concocting new veggie burger recipes at home, now that I don’t buy packaged or processed veggie burgers anymore because of the scary ingredients and additives they contain. These quinoa masala burgers I made last night turned out FABULOUS and are too EASY not to make ASAP.
The best part? You can make several ahead of time and either freeze or refrigerate them for later. They also make a perfect burger to bring over to a cook out. Just have the grill master plop them on the grill to reheat and you’ve got a delicious plant based protein packed meal.
- ½ cup quinoa dry (cooked to package instructions)
- 1 baked sweet potato with skin removed
- 1 egg slightly beaten or 1 tbsp flax seed mixed with 2 tbsp water
- a few springs of fresh cilantro diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 inch piece of ginger minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp mustard seed
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- melted coconut oil for brushing burgers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine all ingredients and mix in a large bowl
- Form mixture into 8 patties
- Place patties on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper
- Brush top of burgers with a small amount of coconut oil
- Bake for 15 mins, then flip burgers and coat with coconut oil again
- Bake for another 15 mins or until golden brown
I’ve never tried the Trader Joe’s Masala Burgers before, but if you have, I’d love to know how these compare. I know one thing, the ingredients I used are definitely an upgrade! Using quinoa as a base vs. white potatoes and bread crumbs adds a complete protein to the mix. I like Tru Roots Sprouted Quinoa Trio – it’s a pantry staple I cannot live without!
My favorite way to consume these masala burgers are with a large salad and topped with pickles. YUM.