How to Avoid Genetically Modified Ingredients When You Eat Out

When I told a friend recently that my next post was going to be on avoiding genetically modified organisms (GMOs) at restaurants, he responded “good f*&*ing luck!”…It’s nearly impossible to avoid GMOs if you are eating out and the reaction from my friend illustrates exactly how dire the situation has become here in America.

Considering I only found two restaurants in my hometown of Charlotte, NC that are 100% GMO free, I thought it would be prudent to share the best tips to minimize your exposure to GMOs when eating out, especially until the government listens to the overwhelming majority of us and puts labels on GMOs.

How to avoid consuming GMO’s when eating out:

1. Unless labeled or listed organic (or from a reputable local farm the restaurant can verify doesn’t use GMO seeds or feed), I suggest avoiding these 8 genetically modified (GM) foods when dining out:
    • Corn
    • Soy
    • Sugar (beet sugar – i.e. refined sugar)
    • Papayas (from Hawaii)
    • Canola
    • Cotton (cottonseed oil)
    • Dairy (conventional American cow’s milk and cheese)
    • Zucchini/Yellow Squash
    • Conventional Meat (They are fed GM corn & soy)
  2. GM corn, soy and canola oil are the cheapest for restaurants to purchase. Ask your server about the oils they use to make your food – this is where GMOs are hidden in almost everything from salad dressings to soups to pan or deep fried items.
  3. Know the exceptions: Ask if the cheese is imported. A cheese from France means you are safe from rbGH – genetically engineered growth hormone and genetically modified ingredients, as this country has banned GMOs all together.
  4. Look out for these hidden GM ingredients: Amino Acids, Aspartame, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin C, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Flavorings (“natural” and “artificial”), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Lactic Acid, Maltodextrins, Molasses, Monosodium Glutamate, Sucrose, Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), Xanthan Gum, Vitamins, Yeast Products.
  5. Unless the sugar they use to make desserts is 100% pure cane, it’s likely from GM sugar beets
  6. Consider having the Non-GMO Shopping Guide in your purse or pocket that has a list of GM ingredients that you want to avoid and give it to your waiter or even call ahead. If more people did this, maybe restaurants would start to pay more attention to the products they buy.

Since it’s a serious feat to avoid genetically modified foods, I investigated all of my favorite restaurants here in Charlotte and of course I found GMOs being used at almost every single one. There were only two eateries that were 100% clean of GMO’s – Luna’s Living Kitchen, and Viva Raw.

As I was echoed in the NY Times this week – Luna’s Living Kitchen is one of my favorite restaurants – it’s the most truly organic place in Charlotte and if you are visiting in town this week for the Democratic National Convention (DNC), having breakfast there is a must.  My favorite option is the organic coconut milk iced coffee (the ice cubes are handily made from coffee, so your caffeine buzz doesn’t get watered down) and the raw bagel with cashew cream cheese pictured below.  They also have a coconut yogurt parfait that is to die for if you are looking for something sweet to start your day.

IMG 4036

Viva Raw which is located in 7th Street Public Market is not an actual restaurant, however they do have an awesome bar you can sit at and sip their fresh local and organic pressed juice. They also sell some pretty incredible raw snacks that are free of genetically modified ingredients. You can definitely get your fill of nutrients here and it’s a place I’ve been frequenting a lot lately. For me the “Pure Green” juice and their Goji Berry Granola make a really terrific meal on the go. This week they are running a special menu item in honor of the DNC that I am dying to try – it’s called the “Barackly” named after President Obama. It’s got broccoli, cucumber, apple, green pepper, celery, onion, lemon, rosemary, garlic, and jalapeño. What a combo of ingredients, right?!

NewImage

There are two places, also in 7th Street Public Market that deserve an honorable mention, as they are ALMOST GMO free.

The local and mostly organic Pure Pizza is INCREDIBLE. I usually make my own pizza on their sprouted grain crust (they have a gluten free one too), leave off the cheese, add all their fresh farm veggies, then add lots of their green palermo sauce and arugula on top. After I wrote about them using a soy based oil on the bottom of their dough – they changed it to pure olive oil! It was the only ingredient on their vegetarian menu that wasn’t GMO free. Now I can go there on #GMOfreeFriday in pure bliss!

Not Just Coffee is hands down the cleanest place to get a cup of organic coffee in Charlotte. They use homeland creamery for their milk which I wasn’t able to verify if the soy/corn feed they mix with the hay & grass to feed the cows was GM or not. They also have almond milk available which I LOVE. Their coffee presentation is so beautiful – you don’t want to drink it right away – but stare in awe instead!

In the meantime, I’ve got a busy week ahead here in Charlotte.  As I mentioned, the DNC is in town and I’m not just partying. I am an elected delegate to the convention representing the 12th Congressional District of North Carolina. I plan on spending every waking moment talking to the political leaders who influence food policy here in America – especially Secretary Tom Vilsack, the head of the USDA. I’ll be tweeting real time updates all week and reporting back here when the week is over.

I thought it would be fun to share the menu and pics from the biggest party in town last night below. The DNC welcomed the media (and special guests like me) with a ridiculous amount of choices from several restaurants in Charlotte…which I didn’t even have time to taste, because I was incredibly pre-occupied with one goal in mind: Labeling GMOs

Cheers!

9/20 Update: To find out what happened at the DNC (protesting in front of Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack) - check this post for a play by play.

IMG 1849

Earlier this week, I asked CNN on Twitter if they were serving GM corn at the mexican restaurant turned “CNN Grill”…they sadly didn’t respond.

Image

I caught up with the Mayor of Charlotte – Anthony Foxx. I’ve known him since 2006, and served with him as a delegate in 2008 in Denver. What he has brought to Charlotte in just 3 years of being Mayor has been incredible.

IMG 4404

, , , , ,

124 Responses to “How to Avoid Genetically Modified Ingredients When You Eat Out”

1. Rebekah

Have you heard of eatwellguide.org? It is a great site that list restaurants, grocery stores, butcher shops, etc. in your area. It tells you if the restaurant serves local food, organic or offers vegetarian etc. I love using this site when I travel!

• Erika (to Rebekah)

THANK YOU!

I am in need of something like that! :)

• Janine (to Rebekah)

Thanks for posting about eatwellguide.org, Rebekah! This would have come in handy last year. I have bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks again!

2. Nina

Food Babe – i just signed up for your meal plan and am so excited to get my materials. What do you think about the new restaurant Freshii that just opened up in the overstreet mall in uptown?

3. Peez N. Luv

So, you put a lot of effort into avoiding GMO food [so do I] but you appear to support the genetically modified organism now in the WH? He’s NOT one of US! For starters, hes’ a LIAR. Second, he’s a shape-shifting destroyer creature. He’s certainly NOT a human. Thanks for your site: You are doing a wonderful thing, which I and others have been doing for a long time: Educating people on how to avoid the crap our government tries to feed us every moment of every day we allow it to be anything but our servant! You’ll get there because you claim to value the truth! Look further: You need to be willing to see him for what he and his agenda really are.

Peace and Love,
    justanuthamutha@yahoo.com
    retired physicist
    Believer in our God-given rights

look up: living man Montana 2013

• victoria (to Peez N. Luv)

Wow, Some people are so low they use someone’s website for their own agenda.

• Susan (to Peez N. Luv)

I agree. My first thought was: Great!…I’d love tips on making healthier choices while eating out. My next thought was: I will not have anything to do with anything named after our presidential disaster. In fact, I may decide not to patronize an establishment that would name something in his “honor.”

4. Helena

Glad to hear that rBGH is not used in France. Are the other EU countries taking the same approach? For example, imported Italian cheeses? Or Irish butter?

Thank you!

5. Lorna

How do I recognize at the super markets what veggies aren’t GMO ? fruits.
    Lorna

• Jasmin (to Lorna)

The only veggies that are GMO are the ones that she listed in her article… corn, soy, papaya, zucchini, yellow squash. This is if you buy produce. When it comes to processed products just make sure that they don’t have the ingredients she listed. I say just buy as much organic as you can.

• VegHead (to Lorna)

The whole point of not eating GMO produce is because it is modified to withstand heavy pesticide use. Even produce that IS non-GMO is sprayed with pesticides. You should always eat ORGANIC food, that is the only way to not consume these nasty pesticides.

Look up the dirty dozen. It is a list of the top fruits and veggies that contain the most pesticides. Strawberries are sadly on that list. :(

TRY YOUR BEST TO EAT ORGANIC :)

6. tom lowe

the only way to avoid bad food is go vegan and stop eating innocent animals they are not hear for you to murder.

• Jasmin (to tom lowe)

Not everyone agrees with your “go vegan” philosophy.

• Karrie-Anne (to tom lowe)

Been vegan for 2 years and I’ve never felt better!

7. Gordon Bell

Dear Food Babe, You, your information and your recipes are a real treasure.

8. Samar

How does one easily stir clear of GMOs as a Vegan when going to any Mexican restaurant and has no choice bc of a company event or family gathering? What about just veggies and guacamole there?

9. Benjamin

Babe, Thank you for sharing non-gmo and gmo.

10. Jacquelyn

Just looking at your beautiful glowing skin and hair is enough to make one want to eat as healthy as you! Thanks for sharing, great tips!

11. Claire

Hi, this summer I will be travelling with my American husband to visit his family in pa and to visit New York. Being English and not having to worry as much about where our food comes from I’m worried about eating out. As he hasn’t been home for a few years he’s unsure of where any healthy places are. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

12. Danielle

Very excited you are involved in the political scene. Thank you.

13. dewluca

I wish your posts included DATES . . . this post on eating out without GMOs appeared on FB today (5/2/2014) like it was a new post . . . but the mention of DNC and older comments makes it clear that it is not new. Please find a way to incorporate date of post somewhere in the site controls or include in the post itself. When was this originally posted?

• Caitlin (to dewluca)

The date is in the full link to the blog post. This was originally posted on 9/2/12.

14. Tracy Friedlob

I had the pleasure of finding Luna’s Living Kitchen the last time I was in Charlotte. It was amazing. So thankful for restaurants like that when I travel. Eating out while on the road is very difficult. Thanks for the great info.

15. therese kaufman

And the links no longer work.

16. Marla

I am a fairly new follower…enjoying your posts! On this one though, I don’t quite understand how you look out for the hidden ingredients you mentioned ie sodium citrate, maltodextrin when ordering off a restaurant ‘s menu…the reality is that most of us are going to eat out occasionally at standard restaurants, especially when traveling on family vacations and this does not seem very realistic.

17. Sandra

I didn’t really find this helpful, the restaurants listed are not chains. So, when traveling I will not find these. How about expanding on this and added coast to coast restaurants.

18. mitsui

hello
    Great info you provide. I use it very much especially wehn it comes to buying stuff for my kids. I try my level best to avoid.
    cereals are hard to find.. maybe you can suggest which cereals are best for kids.
    My kids love lucky charms and Cinaminon toast.. but i have bought few organic cereal which are not much of good taste so hard to get them to eat.
    second thing is — how do we know if veggie and fruits are gmo free. i can’t even find good app on iphone that can scan to let us know if fruits and veggie are gmo free. my kids don’t eat junk food so thats good thing but they love fruits and veggie.. i’m trying to see whats best for them. can you help in that.

19. patt

Funny you mentioned asking if the cheese is imported. Whenever I travel out of the country, I find I feel great eating the local food. When I return to the states, I start feeling like crap again. I buy as much imported food as I can. I shop at latino, asian and indian grocery stores that import their food products, I buy butter , cheese and yogurt imported from Europe, and grow my own produce. I find it works. The food that is sold here seems to be killing me. (and probably a lot of others, but I only speak for myself.)

20. Susanne

Just remember to tip your server accordingly for how much time you take up by asking all these health questions. You could be taking time away from the other guests in the restaurant which could decrease the tip received from the other guest. Or do online research before going out and choose wisely. Calling will not help as you will be taking time away from the bartenders, servers, and managers while they are trying to run a restaurant. If the information is not online, it is most likely not in the restaurant. If it is a franchise or corporate restaurant, call the main office, not the restaurant.