The Truth About PB2 & Powdered Peanut Butter

I’ve been getting the question “What do you think about PB2?” a lot lately on my Facebook page. PB2 is a powdered peanut butter, made by squeezing natural oils out of the peanut and then dehydrating what’s left, yielding a powder in which 90% of the fat is removed from the peanut.

PB2 C

Photo Credit: Gym Optional

This is the truth about PB2 and why you’ll never see me eat this manufactured substitute for peanut butter:

• PB2 Is Not Whole Real Food – When I talk about the foods I eat, I tell people I want to choose the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and PB2 is just not one of them. The beauty of a peanut is that it contains all of the nutrients nature intended. It has a healthy dose of fat, protein and vitamins.  PB2 extracts almost all of the essential monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, leaching the vitamin E content which is fat soluble, therefore reducing the nutritional content of the whole food. The fat is what keeps you satisfied and reduces cravings making just a tablespoon of real peanut butter so satisfying. This powdered form looks pretty clean when you review the ingredients, but it’s just another way for manufacturers to trick you into thinking less calories is better for you. They have to add a mixture of sugar and salt into the powder to make it taste better without the fat. I know I’d rather have the fat vs. the sugar and salt!

• PB2 Is Not Organic – Conventional peanuts are some of the most heavily sprayed crops ever. The amount of toxic pesticides sprayed on peanuts is suspected to have caused the increase in peanut allergies.  As you know, peanuts have a very thin and porous outer layer and shell that allows toxins in easily. These toxins are not something you can wash off. Remember increased exposure to pesticides are linked to birth defects, nerve damage and cancer. The President’s Cancer Panel has urged us not to consume food sprayed with pesticides and doesn’t believe any amount is safe.

• PB2 Has Added Sugar – It might not be that much added sugar but knowing what refined sugar does to my mind and my body – I try to avoid it at all costs unless it’s a special occasion. I eat nut butter almost everyday so I make sure that my variety is sugar free and made from whole organic nuts. Also, this sugar could be made from genetically modified sugar beets.

• Peanuts May Contain Aflatoxin – The mold that is frequently present in peanuts creates a carcinogen called Aflatoxin. This chemical has been shown to cause liver cancer in developing countries where there is a large consumption of corn, peanuts and grains grown without strict regulation of the quality of soil. Here in the United States, the FDA allows aflatoxin into our food system at varying levels. This is just not something I want to consume on a regular basis, even in small “approved” doses. For people who have had cancer or already have compromised liver function, you should really consider this information. This is why I choose to only eat Jungle Peanuts if I have a choice, because they are grown in an environment and harvested in a way that does not produce this toxin.

• And… Almond Butter is Better For Your Health – According to this analysis taken from Prevention, almond butter has 69% more calcium, twice as much fiber, 86% more iron, and 169% more vitamin E than peanut butter.

Screen Shot 2012 09 17 at 9 27 31 AM

And just in case you ask – I like Tree of Life Organic Almond Butter and Once Again Organic Almond Butter. In both these products, the oil stays nicely mixed in when kept in the refrigerator, it’s extra creamy, raw and delicious – more than any other 100% pure almond butter I’ve ever tasted. A lot of stores don’t carry these brands, but if you live in Charlotte, you can find them both at Healthy Home Market.

What’s your favorite nut butter?

P.S. If you know someone who’s eating PB2, please share this post with them.

, , , ,

387 Responses to “The Truth About PB2 & Powdered Peanut Butter”

1. Bianca

What are your thoughts on MaraNatha Organic Peanut butter? They make their products in small batches and dryer climates to reduce the molds and Aflatoxins. I think it’s pretty neat, and it’s the only peanut butter I don’t feel bad about eating–just can’t give up peanut butter!

• Ann J (to Bianca)

I just got a phone call and a text telling me that the Maranatha peanut butter I had purchased had been recalled due to salmonella contamination.

2. Shannon

Okay! -I recently purchased Once Again Organic Almond Butter. I purchased the Almond butter Crunchy. The labeling stated it was “NATURAL” Almond butter thinking this meant it was still organic and no GMO which made me happy because i am getting into purchasing items that have no GMO. To my disappointment when i got home from the grocery store the butter i purchased had no labeling that it was “NO GMO” or “ORGANIC” and that was the whole point of getting this butter. The labeling was “NATURAL” therefore to the best of my knowledge there is GMO in that product. I looked on the website i see there is an “ORGANIC” NO GMO choice & labeling. However, if the same company is making two different butters with different labeling isn’t that contradictory ? That means both products whether there is labeling “NO GMO” or not there is still a chance that there could be “GMO’s” in either product. As a new customer getting into looking for organic butters and organic choices. I am trying to understand this. If you could shed some light on this what would be great!

3. Tara

I just heard about PB2, and I’m glad I came across your article. I’m on a high protein/fat eating plan and I wouldn’t want to cut the fat! If anything, I try to get more. I’m allergic to almonds and other tree nuts, so I’ll keep hanging with the PB, no 2! Thanks!

4. Julie Calcao

I love this.

5. Phill

I was recommended pb2 by a friend who runs 5k’s and counts calories and eats healthy. What I’m asking is it good for me or not?

6. Debra Pearson

Why refrigerate peanut (nut) butter? My favorite is Jif (ducking)… I’d like to try the almond butter, seeing the health benefits, but it costs twice as much…

7. M Lew

Aflatoxin is a contaminant found mainly oilseed crops (corn, peanut, cotton) and has been found as a contaminant in nearly food product on the market. “Soil quality” doesn’t matter; what matters are post-harvest storage conditions, how stressed the plant host was prior to harvest, and what Aspergillus strains are present. Aspergillus is isolated from all soils; it’s ubiquitous. Jungle Peanuts won’t keep you from consuming aflatoxin or Aspergillus; Aspergillus is in the rainforest too. Please be careful about where you are getting your information.

Side note to people: There’s no such thing as GMO peanut or almond on the market.

-Your friendly plant biologist and pathologist

8. Renee

“I hope I didn’t burst anyone’s bubble about PB2… Just remember when a product seems too good to be true, it probably is!”

Not my PB2! *joking I was recently introduced to this product by a fit and healthy coworker. I really thought this was a great product especially after reading the label. This is why I LOVE this site and appreciate all of your research. I try really hard to avoid GMOs and processed foods where I can and this site is one of my main go-to-sites for updates and tips.

Thanks so much for all that you do!
    ALOMD BUTTER IT IS! :)

9. LWood

As a lifelong PB addict and obese person who is making difficult dietary choices to become slim once again, I am attracted to the concept of a food with the flavor I crave with significant reduction in fat calorie burden. I also understand your arguments about comparing nutritional value of almond butter with peanut butter. However there is a flaw when using this argument against a peanut flour which has some oils removed. They are simply not the same product. I also understand your aversion to processed foods, however, perhaps, for the sake of us dieters out there we should also look at nutritional value per calorie as an additional data point. If we were to do that peanut powders like PB2 and Great Stuff have approximately 1/3 the calorie burden of traditional nut butters. Since we could could eat 3 times as much peanut powder as almond butter or any other nut butter your nutritional value data comparison will swing in favor of the powders.

Your other fears of pesticides and GMOs in our foods are ranked with the other fears of life in the 21st century like brain damage from radiation from cell phones, dangerous chemicals in the building products in our homes and cars, and dangerous metals in our seafood and light bulbs. All are valid and must be weighed against our individual lifestyles. Who among us wears a filter mask on days with high pollution index? We all should, but vanity prevails, just like the vanity of thinking that we have achieved whole foods dietary exclusivity. Each of us must pick our most important battles to fight and enjoy life as best we can.

10. Pat

Can’t we all just get along? Eat whichever brand of peanut butter you find enjoyable. :)

11. Sandra J

I had never heard of PB2 until I was looking at a recipe which called for peanut flour or PB2. I have also never seen peanut flour in any market I have shopped and that is a large varieties of markets. Hence, my landing on this website. For what it is worth if I had to restrict my peanut butter consumption I might give this a try but, who knows. But, with so many of my friends being vegan, vegetarian, lactose intolerant, and or gluten free I have to have alternatives when baking, or throwing a dinner party to be a gracious host to provide delectable treats for everyone. So, here we are. At the end of the day we all have to eat and we have to answer only to ourselves. Doubtful a helping of GMOs or non-organics are going to make much difference at the end of the day. If that’s the only thing you live on well…..enjoy it while you can. Bon Apetit!

12. Tina

Good info and suggestions, but just keep in mind that some of us are allergic to tree nuts (ie, almonds), while not allergic to peanuts. This means we have limited choices when seeking out the health benefits of nuts. Are you able to reccomend a true peanut butter that meets your whole food, organic and mold free requirements?

13. Gina R (to Steve Austin)

Thank You for this comment. I agree with you!

14. hlj (to Steve Austin)

Dear Shane,

Thank you for your information on this product.I was wondering about PB2. I appreciate you taking your time to help others:)

Respectfully, would you kindly change “less calories” to “fewer calories” in your information? The word “less” is for non-count nouns and “fewer” for nouns that you can count. For example, “less sand” or “less peanut butter” (You wouldn’t want to count each grain) and “fewer calories” (I don’t like counting ‘em but… chubby me has to do this!)

Most Sincerely,

HLJ

15. Amber Wilhoit (to Gina R)

Do you realize you said defecate and not deficit? Interesting…anyway, if you think 2+2=4 always where metabolism is concerned, you have a lot to learn.

16. Gina R. (to Amber Wilhoit)

I think your reply was maybe to Steve, but it posted in response to me.

17. Shane (to Amber Wilhoit)

Amber if you think that pb2 is bad for you than I believe you should stop going off of BroScience like this article and go and find some real scientific proof.

18. Amber Wilhoit (to Shane)

Shane, I’m sorry. Did I say PB2 was bad for me? I don’t recall saying that. I believe you are putting words in my mouth. I do believe that nature’s way of making the peanut is perfect and doesn’t need changing. I don’t have time for the back-and-forth. I talk nutrition all day long in my full-time job. Good day.

19. shae (to Shane)

Shane,
    Amber didn’t say its bad for you, I did. So now go take your uneducated peanut for a brain to the chemical, toxic and MSG sites where you and your kind belong. You are out numbered on the Food Babes site…… buddy boy!!!!

20. Youarenotsmart (to Sternberg)

At least she practices correct spelling.

21. Cheryl (to hlj)

THANK YOU!!! I love when other people notice these things! I work in a college reading and writing lab, and this makes me very happy!

22. Andrej (to hlj)

Where do you get the idea that chubby people need to count calories? Why?

23. Shae (to Rach)

Rach,
    If you’re so against the so called Food Police, which by the way the Food Babe isn’t, then why even come on her site. Why don’t you just go over to the chemical, toxins, MSG sites and worry about polluting yourself. Its people like you that don’t understand and don’t want to understand what is in our food supply. You also don’t want to understand how these chemicals are so toxic and do your body harm. You might be one of the lucky few that don’t notice any effects but believe me, you are and you will. Sure, anyone could go out and get hit by your bus but stop being so negative and live your life to the fullest and that means understanding what is good and what is bad. Take it for what its worth…..

24. Danna (to Rach)

Why are you on this site if you don’t care about food or what goes into you body? This site is all about food and health. So she was asked about a product and she answered the question, I don’t understand your opposition. Maybe if you spent some time understanding food then maybe you’d figure out the the world hunger things. Just saying.

25. The Food Doll (to Rach)

Hey Rach! Just wondering….WHY are you on this page?? Seriously. Why are you here?? Just to quote your stupidity, saying, “Eat whichever kind of peanut butter you’d like.” Are you kidding? If you can’t comprehend the dangers of the toxins found in pesticides and used on peanuts and understand how detrimental it is to your health then that’s really unfortunate. But don’t waste the Food Babe’s time with your uneducated comments.

26. The Food Doll (to Shae)

Right On Shae!! Very nicely said!!!