Putting together poppy seeds & Nutiva hemp seeds was the best idea ever and no, I’m not a drug dealer. I had no clue these flavors would work so well together…These muffins turned out to be so good!
I am always on the hunt for the best available products to try (nutritionally speaking of course) so I was super excited to try Einkorn, an ancient grain that is the most ancient form of wheat that has not been hybridized or denatured in any way. It’s higher in vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein than the typical whole wheat flour products you see on store shelves. “Einkorn is a rare gift, untouched by modern influence.”
Jovial Foods sent me several different products to try and I’ve already broke into all them. I substituted wheat berries for this quinoa recipe, added almond butter to their cookies and tried their pasta. Trying this flour on the other hand, was the true test of this ancient grain. Could it make a moist and fluffy muffin? Well…. yes… it did and all 6 of the muffins I made last night have all been deliciously consumed!
- ¼ cup shelled hemp seeds and 1 and ¼ cup water or ⅓ cup hemp milk
- 1 large orange seeded and diced
- ½ tsp orange zest
- ⅛ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 large egg or 1 tbsp flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- ¾ cup flour – I used Jovial Einkorn Ancient Grain Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup apple juice sweetened cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, zest, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Make hemp milk by combining hemp seeds and water into a blender.
- Strain milk using a strainer or nut milk bag – and put aside
- Blend orange, oil, egg or flax seed, sugar and vanilla in a blender
- Add ⅓ cup hemp milk and continue blending a few more seconds to combine
- Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients slowly
- Stir in cranberries and poppy seeds
- Pour batter into a lined or well greased muffin tin
- Bake for approximately 20 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool for 5 mins and enjoy!
Giveaway Details: Jovial Foods – Value $230.00 Each month the winner will receive – 1 flour, 1 pack of wheat berries, 2 types of einkorn products. You can enter to win up to three times: (Deadline: Midnight on Nov. 6, 2012) 1. SUBSCRIBE to Food Babe and leave a comment below 2. (Optional) Get out the vote for Yes on Prop 37 - call undecided voters using an easy to use online phone bank. There are no long distance charges and it’s super easy. (If you decide to do this option – you will be entered 10 times in the drawing.) This sweepstakes is open to US residents only; residents of Florida, New York or Rhode Island are not eligible. Click here for the Official Rules.
Good Luck, tomorrow I hope we’ll be doing a virtual cheers to celebrate!
Yes on Prop 37!
Contest is now closed. Congratulations to Kaylen M. for winning the Jovial Einkorn Products giveaway! If you didn’t win, Jovial’s amazing products are available at most health food stores and here online.