Turmeric Cooler – The Juice That Can Save You From Buying Advil

When I found this organic turmeric at the grocery store the other day, I squealed like a little pig!

That’s because this is probably the most powerful root on the planet and just the thought incorporating it even more in my diet is a dream come true.

Photo

I knew the first thing I wanted to do with the turmeric was kiss it… haha, just kidding.

Actually, I wanted to make juice!

Turmeric is super powerful at reducing inflammation in the body naturally – without drugs – i.e. Advil, etc.

Did you know that the inactive ingredients in different forms of Advil include artifical food coloring made from petroleum, artificial sugars, sodium benzoate, GMO’s, propylene glycol and parabens?

When I had a bad accident a couple of years ago, I did not take ibuprofen long term or any other prescribed drugs, I took turmeric extract in pill form to allow my body to heal naturally and ease the pain of my injury. And I would not be sharing this story, unless it freaking worked! To this day – whenever I have an ailment – I turn to turmeric.

But that’s just the icing on the cake – Turmeric can also be used a preventative measure against a myriad of diseases, not just treat a specific aliment.

This is evidenced by what Dr. Andrew Weil shares below:

Reviewing some 700 studies, Duke concluded that turmeric appears to outperform many pharmaceuticals in its effects against several chronic, debilitating diseases, and does so with virtually no adverse side effects. Here are some of the diseases that turmeric has been found to help prevent or alleviate:

• Alzheimer’s disease: Duke found more than 50 studies on turmeric’s effects in addressing Alzheimer’s disease. The reports indicate that extracts of turmeric contain a number of natural agents that block the formation of beta-amyloid, the substance responsible for the plaques that slowly obstruct cerebral function in Alzheimer’s disease.
  • Arthritis: Turmeric contains more than two dozen anti-inflammatory compounds, including sixdifferent COX-2-inhibitors (the COX-2 enzyme promotes pain, swelling and inflammation; inhibitors selectively block that enzyme). By itself, writes Duke, curcumin – the component in turmeric most often cited for its healthful effects – is a multifaceted anti-inflammatory agent, and studies of the efficacy of curcumin have demonstrated positive changes in arthritic symptoms.
  • Cancer: Duke found more than 200 citations for turmeric and cancer and more than 700 for curcumin and cancer. He noted that in the handbook Phytochemicals: Mechanisms of Action, curcumin and/or turmeric were effective in animal models in prevention and/or treatment of colon cancer, mammary cancer, prostate cancer, murine hepatocarcinogenesis (liver cancer in rats), esophageal cancer, and oral cancer. Duke said that the effectiveness of the herb against these cancers compared favorably with that reported for pharmaceuticals.

IMG 7782

So now that I’ve hopefully convinced you to try this root…. I need to tell you that juicing turmeric can be really tricky. If you use too much – the juice can end up very bitter and not at all pleasant to drink.

I experimented with a few different blends that don’t use fruit juice or sugar (like most recipes call for) because I wanted to find a way to drink this all the time without having to consume the additional added sugar.

The blend that worked is so REFRESHING.  The coolness of the cucumber and romaine worked like a charm…. I hope you can find fresh turmeric root where ever you are… because this juice is the BOMB.

IMG 7804

• 1 bunch romaine lettuce
  • 3 carrots
  • 1 cucumber with ends removed
  • 1 lemon with peel removed
Instructions
  1. Wash all vegetables thoroughly and place into a large bowl
  2. Juice each vegetable in this order – turmeric, romaine, carrots, lemon, and cucumber
  3. Stir mixture before serving
  4. Clean juicer immediately
Notes

*Please buy all organic ingredients if possible*

If you are like me, sometimes you can get in a juicing rut. I am so glad to have this new medicinal cocktail in my repertoire…. if you know someone who could benefit from incorporating this juice into their diet – please tell them about it and share this recipe with them.

The feeling of not having to buy that little blue package of Advil is quite incredible and something everyone should experience!

XOXO,

IMG 7796

273 Responses to “Turmeric Cooler – The Juice That Can Save You From Buying Advil”

1. Patricia 2

Thanks for all the information and enthusiasm by all.

I had only used Turmeric powder for savory foods. I then found some fresh at a Mediterranean store. I didn’t use it right away, kept in fridge, and I believe it was no longer good, so threw it out. But, with my green smoothies all the time, and ginger and turmeric go so well together, I bought some more fresh. Then found some frozen. I have used fresh and frozen a lot, mostly to make teas, grate on savory dishes and rice, soups.
    I pulse (grate) it in my Ninja Single Serve (skin included), and then make my items. I use any pulp (flavored with ginger and lemon) in my smoothies.

I think I am going to make ICE CREAM with it. I make avocado/lime/coconut ice cream and many other flavors. I could use the flavored pulp, mix with cold coconut milk, then add some frozen coconut milk cubes, pulse in my NInja Self Serve Cup and it would come out like ice cream. I could freeze it for a more firmer texture.
    Thanks again.

2. Cleo

I make a tumeric smoothie. I call it the carrot cake.

Handful soaked almonds
    Handful of soaked raisins.
    Teaspoon of cinnamon
    Carrot juice
    Tumeric root

Experiment .

3. Joanne Villeneuve

Im going to try your turmeric drink I am 67 with plenty of arthritic pain at times.

4. Jon

It is IMPERATIVE that you eat your turmeric (pills, juice, powder), with a bit of fat mixed with either ginger or black pepper. The active compounds are barely bio-available without them. Curcumin is poorly absorbed by the body.
    I juice my turmeric with ginger and add a tablespoon of fish oil or flax oil before drinking.

5. Jojo

I LOVE turmeric capsules (when I find a good brand and quality turmeric in them). Does anyone know if it is possible to use any form of turmeric that has the organic root as in this article or my less hopeful idea of achieving any benefits from already ground turmeric. I am hoping there is a cost-efficient, health benefitting alternative to grounding my own up and putting into capsules myself versus paying the high cost of store brand/similar and not receiving the great full advantages of turmeric. (I am not looking to juice at this time). But, I don’t want to lose it’s benefits. Thanks for any input. If there is a link to making my own supplements in capsule form, I would be very appreciative. I juice or make smoothies but sometimes I just don’t have the time for that. Thanks all

6. Vijaya

Hi Vani,

Do you know why you are removing lemon peel before juicing?

• Sharon (to Vijaya)

If you leave the peel on the lemon your juice will become very bitter. I know this from personal experience :(

• Diane (to Sharon)

yes, i learned that the hard way.

• Karen (to Vijaya)

I never peel my lemons (do cut ends off though). I don’t find it bitter but I do always put a small piece of ginger through the juicer, so maybe that counteracts the lemon peel.

7. Deborah

I have been wanting to try turmeric for a variety of reasons before but seem to remember that there were some possible interactions with OTC or prescription drugs. I am taking a whole bunch of the latter. Anyone know anything about this?
    Thanks —— Deb

• Ron Starr (to Deborah)

I can help it’s all lies the reaction comes from the medical cartel running things and since there is no money in healthy people we are fed lies to stay ill and distracted get off the pills or you will never feel normal …hope this helps knowledge is power !

• Sandy (to Deborah)

You can Google for more info, but here’s a starting point.

• Kim (to Deborah)

Get off the preecription meds! That is your first problem.

• Gwyn (to Kim)

I’m sure it wasn’t your intention Kim but this sounds inconsiderate to me. There are people with conditions that can’t avoid prescription meds. Speaking from experience sometimes it’s the best or only good option, very difficult as it is for us to give into doing, probably treatment hell to go through and it’s really hurtful to have someone tell you you “should” be doing the very thing you wish you could be. Please try to think about what someone may be going through or saying before sounding like your passing judgment. Again I’m sure it’s not the way you meant it but obviously it hit home for me.

8. serena

Yes, I think fresh is best. But if you can’t, go to ‘golden milk’ on you tube. It’s easy and tasty.

9. Jon Wells

thanks for this post. Sounds like we’re doing similar things with tumeric.
    I had to comment on the price of tumeric I see on your package…in San Diego i can get it for 3.99/lb. One place had it for 6.99/lb and one of the workers told me (quietly) where to find it cheaper.
    Asian markets have made a huge difference in my health and juicing as well.
    Again–thank you! Great juice recipe.

10. Ron

Is tumeric o k as a powder? How much?

I also take a capsule a day.

11. Joe

It’s important to remember, and I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned, or perhaps I missed it, but when using Turmeric root, be VERY careful about what it touches. It WILL stain any surface that holds a stain and that includes skin and clothing.

Also, if you live in a warm climate, you can treat it like ginger and simply plant it if you’d like to harvest plants about 10-11 months later.

12. Arlene

I have tumeric growing like a weed. I use it often. I have now started using it in smoothies after reading about the health benefits.

• Julie L. (to Arlene)

Arlene, where do you live? I would love to grow it but haven’t looked into it at all. I live in Minnesota, so I’m not sure if conditions are appropriate.

13. Arlene

Fortunately I live in Australia, Qld. We have the most beautiful climate, and a very beautiful part of the world. Never too cold, and occasionally it does get quite warm. We grow sub tropical fruit.

14. Arlene

I take a walk into the garden, pick some basil, a bit of coriander any greens I can find
    purslane, some mint, parsley, pick a lemonade fruit put in the vitamix, add some honey, some presoaked almonds, a cinnamon stick, and make a smoothie it takes great. I also add Chinese greens.

15. Hannah

I just made a juice incorporating turmeric for the first time and it was delicious. It included:
    -lettuce
    -cilantro
    -lemon
    - ginger
    - turmeric
    - coconut water

The only thing is that I noticed a waxy residue in my juicer when I was finished that was very hard to clean off! Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips? Soap and elbow grease are not quite cutting it!

• kelly (to Hannah)

are you certain this isn’t wax preservative on your veggies? Not to be alarmed, the wax will not harm you although I doubt you want to consume that stuff. However, wax should remove with hot water and soap. I always turn to ammonia when I have stubborn waxy/greasy problems. $1 a bottle. It’s my magic bullet when others fail. Don’t underrate simple “magic erasers”, also, much less toxic! Rinse well:)

• Kelly White (to kelly)

I was just thinking (dangerous when I do that…) I wonder if the residue could be a finish applied to the actual juicer itself, disturbed by chemical constituents in the vegetables?

• Robby Burns (to Hannah)

The “wax” that you are referring to could very well be the coconut oil that is in the coconut water.

Coconut oil will become solid below 76 degrees, so if the entire mixture is below that temperature it is possible that is what you see.

The best thing to do is to add some hot water to your machine…and then turn it on. Just make sure the hot water gets all the way up to the top when the machine is running.

I usually then add lemon juice and drink it.

DO NOT dump this water down your sink drain, because it will then clog your pipes when it gets below 76 degrees down there.

• Cara (to Hannah)

Try rubbing the residue with a little olive oil and a clean cloth. I bet it’s just residual vegetable oil from the veggies you’ve been juicing. This worked for me ;)

• Carolee (to Hannah)

I hear you when you juice fresh tumeric it does leave a stained resinous film on juice parts. I had to use a bio orange cleaner degreaser to get it off. Fresh tumeric root has a lot of deep orange pigmented stickiness.

16. Laura

Is this juice very thick? Do you add any water or liquid to the turmeric cooler juice?
    Thanks
    Laura

17. Austin

Hey Vani, Doesn’t Indian food and Thai food call for turmeric root in like dozens of recipes too? I just read one where you marinate chopped / diced turmeric root in fresh lime juice for 3 days and use it as a marinade!
    yumm.

18. Glendaly

How often can you drink the juice? Daily, weekly, as needed…?

Thanks

19. Arletta

Hey! This is really cool. I have an Ayurvedic recipe for a turmeric broth that I have been meaning to reincorporate into my life. Then, I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, right after one of my sister’s did, and, we started talking about juicing. And, I was wondering what I would do about getting an adequate supply of turmeric, because, there are not too many juicing or even smoothie recipes that call for it.

I have been sold on turmeric for a very long time. It took my health problems from being so bad I could barely move, sleep or otherwise function to where I can actually function somewhat normally and I can exercise without constant fear that my tendons will flare from the slightest movement or that my muscles will cramp up throughout my body just from breathing too hard. Beautiful spice!

I wasn’t even using organic or root. Just powder, but, good quality . I, now, recommend it to everyone.

20. ralph dimambro

is raw ginger and turmeric better than pill form or powder?????

21. Madison

My boyfriend has been having pain in his lower back and I have been looking for natural remedies for pain and I am so glad you posted this! One of the things I saw though as I did my research was a root called Kratom that also works similar to turmeric and also has other awesome benefits other than relieving pain. I just wanted to know if you have heard of Kratom, and if you had any thoughts on it?

• Diana (to Madison)

Ginger root is my go-to pain reliever! I grate some into water and take it whenever a headache or cramps kick-in. I’ve been using it religiously since messing up my gut with NSAIDS and will never go back :)

22. Kathleen Quinlan

Hi,
    I live in Vermont so the only Turmeric is capsules. Will that work in the healing powers of Turmeric? Also it helps joints and a lot more but what is the recommended dose? Do you take it every day” every so many hours? Only when your in pain? Please help me to understand as I have RA, and a lot of other issues I think this would help.
    Thanks
    Kathleen

• kathy (to Kathleen Quinlan)

I would love to find out more about turmic and or kratom. Can you get it in pill for and take that instead of advil when needed? Would you have to take something else with it to help it digest?

• Chris (to Kathleen Quinlan)

I take turmeric capsules that has black pepper in it to make it more readily absorbable. It has helped with my shoulder pain. Take daily 1 capsule in the morning and night together with fish oil.

• Kathleen Quinlan (to Chris)

Hi,
        The black pepper is already in the capsules of Turmeric? Where do you get them?

• Chris (to Chris)

I am Australian so the brand I am taking is NutriVital. I don’t know if it’s available in other countries!

23. Amy

Would it be OK to do this in a Vitamix, rather than a juicer??

24. Nikki

What is the best type/brand of turmeric in pill form?

25. Kelly Schaefer

Can I do this in a blender?I don’t have a juicer.

26. Rainbow Unicorn

Sunshine shots-
    Turmeric -ginger-bee pollen-homemade vitamin c powder- local honey- raw coconut water- cayenne pepper- whirl till your hearts desire! 2 ounce shots twice a day! Super happy energy!

• Gwyn (to Rainbow Unicorn)

Raw or powdered Turmeric and Ginger? How much of each of these ingredients? What are you whirling in? Sounds like a medley of all the right things…Thanks!

• Gwyn (to Rainbow Unicorn)

Not sure where my original reply went, sorry if it appears again somewhere. Rainbow Unicorn, are you using raw or powdered Turmeric and Ginger? How much of each ingredient and what are you whirring them in? Sounds like a powerhouse group of ingredients. Thanks!

• Rainbow Unicorn (to Gwyn)

I am using Organic Raw Turmeric Root, Organic Raw Ginger Root from the produce section, or Local Farmers Market.
        I use 3 finger size of each and I use 1 large Harmless Harvest Raw Coconut Water, if I can’t find fresh coconuts.
        I use a Vitamix , then store in 1 large mason jar. Good for 3 days.
        I make my own vitamin c from orange and lemon peels.
        I usually add a tablespoon of each of the vit c, the bee pollen and honey. ( you can use grade B maple syrup if you don’t have honey)
        Today I added real cinnamon and it was lovely!
        Oh, I forgot I also use two whole organic lemons with the peel on.
        I just had a friend call and ask me to bring him some as he was not feeling well.
        This recipe has helped friends with local allergies due to grass, pollen, etc.
        The key is using “local honey and bee pollen” and the rest from local farms, if you can. If it’s too thick for you, you can add more coconut water or bottled water. I like it in the blender, because I you still get some of the fiber. Swish mouth with water after each shot of this , as the turmeric may stain your teeth.
        Happy Heath!!

27. bingo

How about just turmeric pressed in a Norwalk juicer? Drinking 50ml straight? Three times a day.
    Or blended with ginger?

28. Kathy

I have a vitamix. Would I be able to make the juice on that?

29. Heather

Any ideas for gout? Could I apply turmeric topically? Or juice it for him?

30. Kathleen Quinlan

I made a comment above then got an e-mail from your website, yet I do not see an answer? Am I doing something wrong?

31. shelley

Excellent article and recipe. Truly appreciate your work. What are your thoughts about maltodextrin as the New Chapter supplements that you recommend contain maltodextrin. Wondering if making your own capsules with organic tumeric powder would provide same affect. Thank You!

32. Amelia Sorce

i understand the magic ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Curcumin is not easily absorbed. Absorption is greatly aided by fat.
    “But you would be overlooking one crucial fact about turmeric that could mean the difference between simple consumption and full-absorption. That fact: turmeric is fat-soluble, and you want to be able to absorb is magnificent food to experience all of the health benefits it has to offer.”

Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/turmeric-absorption-super-benefits-black-pepper/#ixzz3EdrU5JSA
    Follow us: @naturalsociety on Twitter | NaturalSociety on Facebook

Or pepper:
    Most of the studies on this herb are using turmeric extracts that contain mostly curcumin itself, with dosages usually exceeding 1 gram per day. It would be very difficult to reach these levels just using the turmeric spice in your foods.

Therefore, if you want to experience the full effects, then you need to take an extract that contains significant amounts of curcumin.

Unfortunately, curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream. It helps to consume black pepper with it, which contains piperine… a natural substance that enhances the absorption of curcumin by 2000% (3).

33. connie

I like the added information that can come in the comments section. But it would be helpful to answer the questions that people bring up in this section as well. It’s quite frustrating to read the questions that people have and not read the answers.

• Jennifer (to connie)

I totally agree. Why have a comment section if you’re not willing to address any questions to your articles? :/

• LindaS (to connie)

I’ve often wondered about this too but over time there are a few things I have learned about even the most dedicated blogger and the people who read their articles. First, the people who blog also have a life. Many are following their passions and sharing with others but they also have families and can’t always get back to questions that are asked months or years after the original post. In addition, I’ve also found that many people just don’t read all the comments to find out that their question has already been answered – sometimes more than once. Another consideration – especially with things like turmeric and other herbs is that there may not be a definitive answer. We are just beginning to understand that certain herbs can be extremely helpful but since the drug companies can’t make money selling herbs very little “formal” research has been completed. I think we need to give those who follow their passions and share their information with us a break and take the time to look up our questions on our own. After all, we are all adults.

• Gwyn (to LindaS)

All good points Linda and Jennifer and Connie as well. I also find on many of these blogs that good answers often come from other readers/comment’s as well so don’t always need to come from the blogger. The thing I find most helpful is when the site provides for the option to follow or be notified when someone comments in the chain you have. So often people never know if their question has been answered and it’s hard to check if it’s a popular post with lot’s of comments. I’m not sure why some are able to offer the ability to follow a comment chain (so just those under Connie’s original for instance here) and other’s either aren’t or choose not to. Probably a host thing so some bloggers aren’t able to offer it but too bad.

34. Christine Benson

I have a Vita Mix not a juicer. Can you make this using a high speed mixer instead? I owned a juicer years ago but gave it away because I did not use it that much. I don’t like using pills if I don’t have too either.

• Melissa (to Christine Benson)

I’m wondering the exact same thing (Vitamix). I hope we find out! :)

35. Maglor

Isn’t Ginger the same as Turmeric?

• Gwyn (to Maglor)

No, they are both roots but different plants with different properties.

36. Coco

While turmeric can be useful as an antiinflamitory, it should not be taken in medicinal doses by women who are pregnant or breast-feeding. Also those with gallstones, GERD or scheduled for surgery should avoid it in medicinal doses.

37. haily

Hello! Thank you for all of your info and recipes! I was wondering if you had one that didn’t contain cucumber? I have a sensitivity to that but really want to try the turmeric. Thanks so much :)

38. Amber

So Vani, how do you use turmeric for you current ailments? In pill form for headaches, for instance?

39. Jim Trudeau

Food Babe – The turmeric capsules that you had a link to in this article have maltodextrin in them!

We got turmeric capsules at Sprout’s Farmers Market that had more turmeric in each capsule (450 mg vs 320 mg), 427 mg of that is Curcumanoids, and has 5 mg of Bioperine (black pepper) to increase absorption. It cost $20 for 60 capsules with no shipping costs or delays. If you have a Sprouts nearby I highly recommend it!

Jim

40. Nadine

Im desperate…..I have coronary arterial disease, otherwise known as heart disease…..inflammation is a huge issue, and I hate taking 3 cholesterol meds…..anyone out there that has seen a change in cholesterol coming down as well as inflammation? Thanks very much……nadine

• Gwyn (to Nadine)

I don’t have an answer about the Turmeric but I do know that Red Yeast Rice works wonders for bringing down cholesterol. Fish Oil and Omegas also help maintain them. We used this first over the prescription my husband was sent home with several years ago. When he went back (I forget 6 wks or 3 months) for the scheduled blood test to see if the meds were working he got a letter showing the great results and a new prescription in the mail with a note from the doctor raving about how well the meds were working and to keep taking them. Lol He had never even filled the original prescription!

41. Jen Ocampo

I recently started taking Tumeric supplements as I’ve had bouts wih painful boils this year: 3 styes and 3 boils on my body. Anyone who’s suffered knows that these have to be the most painful, debilitating and annoying/gross thing to happen to one. Researching I read that not only was Tumeric (either grated into a paste and applied although it will stain clothes) or drank in a tea/smoothie or supplement, will cleanse the liver and blood stream and reduce the inflammation/pain and recurrence of boils. I am taking one with Dr Danielle’s Organic Curcumin (tumeric) with Bioprene (black Pepper) 2x a day and have been boil free for a while. The pepper helps your body absorb the tumeric better. I was just sick and tired of having a different antibiotic prescribed every bout. I’d just check with the doc if anyone is on statins or baby aspirin and Tumeric does thin the blood a bit. Best, Jen