Turmeric Cooler – The Juice That Can Save You From Buying Advil

When I found this organic turmeric at the grocery store the other day, I squealed like a little pig!

That’s because this is probably the most powerful root on the planet and just the thought incorporating it even more in my diet is a dream come true.

Photo

I knew the first thing I wanted to do with the turmeric was kiss it… haha, just kidding.

Actually, I wanted to make juice!

Turmeric is super powerful at reducing inflammation in the body naturally – without drugs – i.e. Advil, etc.

Did you know that the inactive ingredients in different forms of Advil include artifical food coloring made from petroleum, artificial sugars, sodium benzoate, GMO’s, propylene glycol (the stuff used in anti-freeze for your car) and parabens?

When I had a bad accident a couple of years ago, I did not take ibuprofen long term or any other prescribed drugs, I took turmeric extract in pill form to allow my body to heal naturally and ease the pain of my injury. And I would not be sharing this story, unless it freaking worked! To this day – whenever I have an ailment – I turn to turmeric.

But that’s just the icing on the cake – Turmeric can also be used a preventative measure against a myriad of diseases, not just treat a specific aliment.

This is evidenced by what Dr. Andrew Weil shares below:

Reviewing some 700 studies, Duke concluded that turmeric appears to outperform many pharmaceuticals in its effects against several chronic, debilitating diseases, and does so with virtually no adverse side effects. Here are some of the diseases that turmeric has been found to help prevent or alleviate:

• Alzheimer’s disease: Duke found more than 50 studies on turmeric’s effects in addressing Alzheimer’s disease. The reports indicate that extracts of turmeric contain a number of natural agents that block the formation of beta-amyloid, the substance responsible for the plaques that slowly obstruct cerebral function in Alzheimer’s disease.
  • Arthritis: Turmeric contains more than two dozen anti-inflammatory compounds, including sixdifferent COX-2-inhibitors (the COX-2 enzyme promotes pain, swelling and inflammation; inhibitors selectively block that enzyme). By itself, writes Duke, curcumin – the component in turmeric most often cited for its healthful effects – is a multifaceted anti-inflammatory agent, and studies of the efficacy of curcumin have demonstrated positive changes in arthritic symptoms.
  • Cancer: Duke found more than 200 citations for turmeric and cancer and more than 700 for curcumin and cancer. He noted that in the handbook Phytochemicals: Mechanisms of Action, curcumin and/or turmeric were effective in animal models in prevention and/or treatment of colon cancer, mammary cancer, prostate cancer, murine hepatocarcinogenesis (liver cancer in rats), esophageal cancer, and oral cancer. Duke said that the effectiveness of the herb against these cancers compared favorably with that reported for pharmaceuticals.

IMG 7782

So now that I’ve hopefully convinced you to try this root…. I need to tell you that juicing turmeric can be really tricky. If you use too much – the juice can end up very bitter and not at all pleasant to drink.

I experimented with a few different blends that don’t use fruit juice or sugar (like most recipes call for) because I wanted to find a way to drink this all the time without having to consume the additional added sugar.

The blend that worked is so REFRESHING.  The coolness of the cucumber and romaine worked like a charm…. I hope you can find fresh turmeric root where ever you are… because this juice is the BOMB.

IMG 7804

• 1 bunch romaine lettuce
  • 3 carrots
  • 1 cucumber with ends removed
  • 1 lemon with peel removed
Instructions
  1. Wash all vegetables thoroughly and place into a large bowl
  2. Juice each vegetable in this order – turmeric, romaine, carrots, lemon, and cucumber
  3. Stir mixture before serving
  4. Clean juicer immediately
Notes
*Please buy all organic ingredients if possible*

If you are like me, sometimes you can get in a juicing rut. I am so glad to have this new medicinal cocktail in my repertoire…. if you know someone who could benefit from incorporating this juice into their diet – please tell them about it and share this recipe with them.

The feeling of not having to buy that little blue package of Advil is quite incredible and something everyone should experience!

XOXO,

IMG 7796

227 Responses to “Turmeric Cooler – The Juice That Can Save You From Buying Advil”

1. Patricia 2

Thanks for all the information and enthusiasm by all.

I had only used Turmeric powder for savory foods. I then found some fresh at a Mediterranean store. I didn’t use it right away, kept in fridge, and I believe it was no longer good, so threw it out. But, with my green smoothies all the time, and ginger and turmeric go so well together, I bought some more fresh. Then found some frozen. I have used fresh and frozen a lot, mostly to make teas, grate on savory dishes and rice, soups.
    I pulse (grate) it in my Ninja Single Serve (skin included), and then make my items. I use any pulp (flavored with ginger and lemon) in my smoothies.

I think I am going to make ICE CREAM with it. I make avocado/lime/coconut ice cream and many other flavors. I could use the flavored pulp, mix with cold coconut milk, then add some frozen coconut milk cubes, pulse in my NInja Self Serve Cup and it would come out like ice cream. I could freeze it for a more firmer texture.
    Thanks again.

2. Cleo

I make a tumeric smoothie. I call it the carrot cake.

Handful soaked almonds
    Handful of soaked raisins.
    Teaspoon of cinnamon
    Carrot juice
    Tumeric root

Experiment .

3. Joanne Villeneuve

Im going to try your turmeric drink I am 67 with plenty of arthritic pain at times.

4. Jon

It is IMPERATIVE that you eat your turmeric (pills, juice, powder), with a bit of fat mixed with either ginger or black pepper. The active compounds are barely bio-available without them. Curcumin is poorly absorbed by the body.
    I juice my turmeric with ginger and add a tablespoon of fish oil or flax oil before drinking.

5. Jojo

I LOVE turmeric capsules (when I find a good brand and quality turmeric in them). Does anyone know if it is possible to use any form of turmeric that has the organic root as in this article or my less hopeful idea of achieving any benefits from already ground turmeric. I am hoping there is a cost-efficient, health benefitting alternative to grounding my own up and putting into capsules myself versus paying the high cost of store brand/similar and not receiving the great full advantages of turmeric. (I am not looking to juice at this time). But, I don’t want to lose it’s benefits. Thanks for any input. If there is a link to making my own supplements in capsule form, I would be very appreciative. I juice or make smoothies but sometimes I just don’t have the time for that. Thanks all

6. Vijaya

Hi Vani,

Do you know why you are removing lemon peel before juicing?

• Sharon (to Vijaya)

If you leave the peel on the lemon your juice will become very bitter. I know this from personal experience :(

• Diane (to Sharon)

yes, i learned that the hard way.

7. Deborah

I have been wanting to try turmeric for a variety of reasons before but seem to remember that there were some possible interactions with OTC or prescription drugs. I am taking a whole bunch of the latter. Anyone know anything about this?
    Thanks —— Deb

• Ron Starr (to Deborah)

I can help it’s all lies the reaction comes from the medical cartel running things and since there is no money in healthy people we are fed lies to stay ill and distracted get off the pills or you will never feel normal …hope this helps knowledge is power !

8. serena

Yes, I think fresh is best. But if you can’t, go to ‘golden milk’ on you tube. It’s easy and tasty.

9. Jon Wells

thanks for this post. Sounds like we’re doing similar things with tumeric.
    I had to comment on the price of tumeric I see on your package…in San Diego i can get it for 3.99/lb. One place had it for 6.99/lb and one of the workers told me (quietly) where to find it cheaper.
    Asian markets have made a huge difference in my health and juicing as well.
    Again–thank you! Great juice recipe.

10. Ron

Is tumeric o k as a powder? How much?

I also take a capsule a day.

11. Joe

It’s important to remember, and I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned, or perhaps I missed it, but when using Turmeric root, be VERY careful about what it touches. It WILL stain any surface that holds a stain and that includes skin and clothing.

Also, if you live in a warm climate, you can treat it like ginger and simply plant it if you’d like to harvest plants about 10-11 months later.

12. Arlene

I have tumeric growing like a weed. I use it often. I have now started using it in smoothies after reading about the health benefits.

• Julie L. (to Arlene)

Arlene, where do you live? I would love to grow it but haven’t looked into it at all. I live in Minnesota, so I’m not sure if conditions are appropriate.

13. Arlene

Fortunately I live in Australia, Qld. We have the most beautiful climate, and a very beautiful part of the world. Never too cold, and occasionally it does get quite warm. We grow sub tropical fruit.

14. Arlene

I take a walk into the garden, pick some basil, a bit of coriander any greens I can find
    purslane, some mint, parsley, pick a lemonade fruit put in the vitamix, add some honey, some presoaked almonds, a cinnamon stick, and make a smoothie it takes great. I also add Chinese greens.

15. Hannah

I just made a juice incorporating turmeric for the first time and it was delicious. It included:
    -lettuce
    -cilantro
    -lemon
    - ginger
    - turmeric
    - coconut water

The only thing is that I noticed a waxy residue in my juicer when I was finished that was very hard to clean off! Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips? Soap and elbow grease are not quite cutting it!

• kelly (to Hannah)

are you certain this isn’t wax preservative on your veggies? Not to be alarmed, the wax will not harm you although I doubt you want to consume that stuff. However, wax should remove with hot water and soap. I always turn to ammonia when I have stubborn waxy/greasy problems. $1 a bottle. It’s my magic bullet when others fail. Don’t underrate simple “magic erasers”, also, much less toxic! Rinse well:)

• Kelly White (to kelly)

I was just thinking (dangerous when I do that…) I wonder if the residue could be a finish applied to the actual juicer itself, disturbed by chemical constituents in the vegetables?

• Robby Burns (to Hannah)

The “wax” that you are referring to could very well be the coconut oil that is in the coconut water.

Coconut oil will become solid below 76 degrees, so if the entire mixture is below that temperature it is possible that is what you see.

The best thing to do is to add some hot water to your machine…and then turn it on. Just make sure the hot water gets all the way up to the top when the machine is running.

I usually then add lemon juice and drink it.

DO NOT dump this water down your sink drain, because it will then clog your pipes when it gets below 76 degrees down there.

• Cara (to Hannah)

Try rubbing the residue with a little olive oil and a clean cloth. I bet it’s just residual vegetable oil from the veggies you’ve been juicing. This worked for me ;)

16. Laura

Is this juice very thick? Do you add any water or liquid to the turmeric cooler juice?
    Thanks
    Laura

17. Austin

Hey Vani, Doesn’t Indian food and Thai food call for turmeric root in like dozens of recipes too? I just read one where you marinate chopped / diced turmeric root in fresh lime juice for 3 days and use it as a marinade!
    yumm.

18. Glendaly

How often can you drink the juice? Daily, weekly, as needed…?

Thanks

19. Arletta

Hey! This is really cool. I have an Ayurvedic recipe for a turmeric broth that I have been meaning to reincorporate into my life. Then, I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, right after one of my sister’s did, and, we started talking about juicing. And, I was wondering what I would do about getting an adequate supply of turmeric, because, there are not too many juicing or even smoothie recipes that call for it.

I have been sold on turmeric for a very long time. It took my health problems from being so bad I could barely move, sleep or otherwise function to where I can actually function somewhat normally and I can exercise without constant fear that my tendons will flare from the slightest movement or that my muscles will cramp up throughout my body just from breathing too hard. Beautiful spice!

I wasn’t even using organic or root. Just powder, but, good quality . I, now, recommend it to everyone.

20. ralph dimambro

is raw ginger and turmeric better than pill form or powder?????

21. Madison

My boyfriend has been having pain in his lower back and I have been looking for natural remedies for pain and I am so glad you posted this! One of the things I saw though as I did my research was a root called Kratom that also works similar to turmeric and also has other awesome benefits other than relieving pain. I just wanted to know if you have heard of Kratom, and if you had any thoughts on it?