Does Your Cookie Need All That Sugar?

IMG_8135

I’ve made these cookies three times in the past 3 weeks. They are chewy, crispy, ridiculously delicious and SWEET. The best part, they have hardly any added sugar. I used only a 1/4 cup of organic coconut palm sugar because the almond flour I also used has a natural hint of sweetness. Did you know the famous Nestle Toll House cookie recipe has 1 and 1/2 cups of added sugar plus the sugar contained in 2 cups of chocolate chips?! That is close to 600 grams of added sugar per recipe, which is crazy! I still can’t believe I used to use make those cookies back in the day. Talk about a sugar hangover.

If you’ve never used coconut palm sugar in your baking, I recommend starting ASAP. This type of sugar is a perfect 1 to 1 substitute for any recipe that calls for regular old sugar. Coconut palm sugar is completely unrefined and not bleached like typical refined white sugar, helping to preserve all of its beneficial vitamins and minerals. It is naturally high in amino acids – has 10,000 times more potassium, 20 times more magnesium and 20 times more iron than conventional sugar. Converting to this type of sugar could also lower your risk of developing diabetes because it’s glycemic index is half of that compared to sugar. It is light years better than other sugars on the market!

The best part of this cookie recipe is that it is completely versatile. My favorite combo so far (pictured above) is walnuts and currents… but I also like goji berries and raw cacao nibs too. A good ole’ fashioned chocolate chip wouldn’t be bad either, I think I’m going to try that one next but with only a half cup of chocolate chips, of course!

4.5 from 23 reviews

Food Babe’s Low Sugar Cookies

Prep time

Cook time

Total time

Serves: 20

Ingredients

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F
  2. Place the coconut oil, sugar in a bowl and stir until well combined
  3. Add flaxseed or egg, vanilla extract and stir for another minute until smooth.
  4. Add rest of ingredients and stir
  5. Place dough mixture in fridge or freezer for 10 mins
  6. Using an ice-cream scooper, scoop out dough and press each cookie on silpat or parchment paper lined baking pan
  7. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
  8. Cool at least 7 mins and serve

Notes
***Choose all organic ingredients if possible***

After you make them, I know you’ll feel just as good as I do about devouring them one by one.

P.S. If you know someone who needs a revamped cookie recipe… share this with them and prove you don’t need a ton of added sugar for sweetness in life.

, , ,

156 Responses to “Does Your Cookie Need All That Sugar?”

1. Kelly

Made these twice this week! So yummy. Today I replaced 1/4 cup of the oats with teff. It gave them a different, crunchy texture but still very delicious.

2. ashleigh

hello, i don’t know much about the coconut sugar, i read an article saying its unsustainable and bad for the trees with such high demand. and what about turbinado sugars or unrefined sugars? Is there anything else to use as sweeteners in baked goods? I love sweets but want a healthier/natural way to enjoy them/alternative

• Anna Marie (to ashleigh)

My husband is a wellness practitioner, and he has all of his patients use sucanut, which is made from sugar cane. It is basically unprocessed sugar-meaning the molasses has not been removed. It is also low glycemic, and I guess it would be as sustainable a cane sugar is. I have problems keeping my blood sugar balanced, so we love sucanut because it doesn’t spike my blood sugar.

• Nancy LaValley (to Anna Marie)

Xylitol. Low glycemic, same consistency as sugar. I use it, but only use 2/3 of what recipe calls for

• E. Luper (to ashleigh)

The cookies were absolutely great. We made them with some organic raw sugar.

Here is the article about coconut sugar. In short, if a tree produces the coconut sugar it is unable to produce coconuts. No coconuts means no coconut oil, no coconut flour, etc. I made a choice to stick with honey or organic sugar. I rather have my coconut oil.

The cookies were absolutely awesome! We made them with some organic raw sugar.

Here is the article about coconut sugar. It basically means that if a tree produces coconut sugar, it cannot produce coconuts. No coconut – no coconut oil, no coconut flour, etc. Our family made a choice not to use coconut sugar.

• E. Luper (to E. Luper)

Funny, the first reply would not post. Now its there twice! Anyway, keep up with the information. I love this website and thank you for all that you do!
        Eline

3. Mark

I tried this recipe and it is GREAT! I have already made 7 batches. I got most of the ingredients off of Amazon. Now I can have a guilt free desert. We even crumble them up and add unsweetened almond milk to make cereal for the kids at breakfast. Thanks Food Babe!

• Rosemary (to Mark)

what a great idea for cereal. Just was thinking about finding a better alternative for morning cereal. I only buy the bad stuff for my kids like 1 every 3 months because I can’t find one that doesn’t include bad things (even the healthy ones I don’t trust). Thanks for the idea.

4. Melissa

Just made these and my kids and I loved them!! But, they were crumbly. Any idea why? I didn’t melt the coconut oil but it was VERY soft. I want to make these again but not sure if I will since the crumbled!!

• Assistant to Food Babe (Krista) (to Melissa)

Hi Melissa – sorry yours turned out crumbly. Make sure you refrigerate or freeze them for at least 10 minutes – that helps. And, I kinda pressed them down and together with my fingers after scooping them onto parchment. That helped too!

• Annie (to Assistant to Food Babe (Krista))

Do you have any idea of a calorie count for one using your recipe ?

5. Shelley

My daughter introduced me to these cookies on Mother’s Day and I have been making them every week and eating them ever since. I use raw honey instead of the sugar and absolutely love them!!!!

• kris (to Shelley)

How much honey did you use? Thanks for the suggestions! Cant wait to try these.

6. Dana

I am going to try these w/ the flax vs egg and shredded coconut vs oats to make them grain free and egg free for a friend w/ celiac. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

7. Paige Petersen

These were so thick I couldn’t stir them? I used an egg, not the flax. Any advise?
    Thanks!

• Assistant to Food Babe (Krista) (to Paige Petersen)

It is really thick – it is a different consistency than other cookie batters. Just stir hard – it will be so worth it.

8. Amanda

I love your idea for reducing processed sugar, but I was unfamiliar with coconut palm sugar (and wanted to make sure there was no sustainability problems with it, as there is with palm oil) so I searched and found this…http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_palm_sugar.htm
    Not sure what to think now? Do you have any further insights?

• Assistant to Food Babe (Krista) (to Amanda)

Hi Amanda – great question! This is Vani’s response…
      “With all things, it’s important to know where you get your coconut palm sugar… I eat it in extreme moderation, not every day, so this is a sustainable approach on it’s own. Big Tree Farms is very reputable, as well as Nutiva for Coconut Palm Sugar if you are looking for companies you can trust to practice business the right way without hurting farmers. Also – you may want to check this out to learn more – http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/collection-of-coconut-sap.php

9. Camilla

These are so yummy! I just made a batch, and wanting the kiddos to like them, (they are not fans of baked dried fruit), I added dark chocolate chips and they were a hit! All three boys absolutely loved them, great treat for the kids after school!

10. Ricki

These look fantastic, I am allergic to Cinnamon!! Such a pain, any ideas for substitutions?? Thank you !!!

• Jazmommy (to Ricki)

Try 1/2 tsp ground or 1/4 tsp freshly grated and 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg. The flavor profile will be a bit different, but still very tasty.

• Ricki (to Jazmommy)

Thank you! Just nutmeg? I will give it a try. Thank u

11. Helen

HI Foodbabe & Krista – thankyou for this fabulous recipe, cant wait to try them this afternoon!:)

Just wanted to doublecheck, you have 1/2 walnuts and 1/2 dried currants, Im assuming this would be 1/2 cup? Is this correct? Cheers and keep up the great work just love your site/information!

12. Carol

These cookies made great granola for me but not cookies. Not sure what I did wrong but the coconut oil melted everywhere. I didn’t have baking soda so I didn’t add. Would that have done it? Also, I placed directly on cookie sheet without parchment paper. Maybe that was the issue? Any thoughts? Thanks!

13. Heather

Yum!! I have made 2 batches of these so far…my first one was a little dry so I added about 1/2 a cup of unsweetened organic applesauce to the next They were a little crumbly, but still so good! 3 out of 4 kid approved, so that’s a win in my book! Thanks for the recipe and all your work!

14. Chris W

I am allergic to nuts, do in need to sub something for the walnuts? If so, ideas? If not will they form ok? Thoughts?

15. Sarah Johnson

What do you mean by 1/2 currants and 1/2 walnut? What’s the measurement?

16. Sara

What are your thoughts on using stevia? You may of already talked about this..I am new to following this website…I absolutely love all of your recipes and food information.

17. Rachel

Do you have a variation or suggestion for substituting the almond flour and the flax seed? I’d really like to try a healthier cookie recipe. This one looks really nice. I’m just allergic to flax and almonds…

18. dan

Hey Vani.. there’s something a bit dangerous here health-wise.

you NEVER want to high heat flaxseeds, chia seeds or any nuts or seeds. High heating destroys the oils and they go from healthy to harmful. Ask Dr M.

Loving what your doing!!! Its about time someone stepped up like you are doing!!

19. Dawn

Would coconut flour work as a substitution for the almond flour?

• Anne (to Dawn)

Due to the cost of the almond flour, and the little I had left, I used 1/2 almond and 1/2 coconut flours and it came out fine. But, it is still too dry, though no drier than the first go round. I’m continue to make small changes the next time.

20. diane

Do you use organic almond flour or is regular okay? Have you ever tried making the cookies with just grinding up your own almonds for the flour?

21. Kristin

Delicious! The taste and texture were surprisingly yummy! ( after they were baked they looked like they would be dry and tasteless)….so I was pleasantly surprised. I added cranberries, and bittersweet,organic chocolate Chips, and left out the nuts.
    Yum!
    Thanks food babe!

22. Sarah Schneider

I made these and omitted the sugar, almond flour, walnuts and currents. I replaced them with pumpkin pie mix and Enjoy Life semi sweet chocolate chips. Turned out very yummy!

23. jill

There is not enough liquid in these. I can’t mix them up. I even added another egg and it is still too thick to stir. :(

• jill (to jill)

Gave this recipe the beneift of the doubt and put the “mixture” in the frig for ten minutes, pressed them together and baked them. DO NOT MAKE THESE COOKIES! There is something wrong with the recipe. What a waste of expensive ingredients! They are nothing but a big pile of dry ingredients.

I am disappointed. Please revise this recipe so it works.

• Holly (to jill)

Hi Jill,

You must have measured things wrong because I just made these and they are amazing! They are almost too good. I can’t stop eating them!

24. Danielle

I Will try these out. I love what you are doing on this website! I recommend it to everyone, even all of my health savvy friends.

25. Rajul

They were perfect. The whole family loved them. I did not have any walnuts so I used a pecans and I used a half cup of chocolate chunks.

26. Bethany

These cookies were amazing. I followed the recipe except I didn’t have coconut sugar, so I used sucanat. YUM!!

27. Anne

My first batch, yummy as it was, was very crumbly. My second batch I traded the Coconut palm sugar with Organic Brown rice syrup and they held together better. I also added shredded organic coconut flakes. This is a keeper! My third batch is in the oven now!

28. Nikki

I have read that flaxseed and almond flour aren’t supposed to be heated and maybe harmful. I’m making these anyway, but wondering your thoughts on that.

29. Audra Cooper

Hi Food Babe,
    I was wondering what your thoughts are on this article on almond flour.
    5 Reasons to Avoid Almond Flour – Empowered Sustenance

30. Melissa

Hi there! I’m a newbie when it comes to cocoanut sugar. Does it make the cookies taste heavily of cocoanut?

31. Robin

For those who can’t have grains, nuts, or seeds – I’d replace the coconut sugar with honey, skip the oats & nuts, and use Egg Replacer instead of egg/flax. I have autoimmune issues so I need to modify everything, still yummy though :) http://www.facebook.com/paleoideas Love ya Food Babe, great work!! xoxo

32. Michele Samuels

I’m concerned that you ate recommending backing on a silpat. With all the stuff we hear about the transfer of toxins from plastics and coatings, I have never used any thing that isn’t metal or glass. I don’t have a problem with (unbleached) parchment paper, but would love to hear why you think silpat is safe. Thanks

33. LouAnn

I have a problem using coconut oil (the Esselstyn thing you know ~)
    Is there anything else that could be used here??

34. LouAnn

I have a problem using coconut oil (the Esselstyn thing, you know ~)
    Is there anything else that could be used??

35. Tina

Just saw this the other day, and it’s made me hesitate to try the coconut palm sugar…

36. Bethany

I’m allergic to tree nuts, what so you suggest as a substitute for the almond flour?

37. Karolina

Thanks for that recipe, Babe :).

38. Julie

I just made these with my kids and they are excellent! We chose 1/2 cup of semi sweet (organic) chocolate and 1/2 cup of dried cranberries (sweetened with apple juice) for the mix-ins. They are crispy and sweet. Wow!! Thank you!

39. Laura

Delicious! Please keep sharing more recipes like this one, Foodbabe!!

40. Karen

These cookies are amazing!! I used sucanat for the sugar, omitted the nuts and added in raisins. My kids loved them & I did too! Thanks Food Babe for another winning recipe :)

41. Veronica

I just made these last night and they were gone by morning. SO GOOD!!! I added chocolate chips, since I was really craving choco chip cookies. So wasn’t as “low sugar”, but it sure was delicious.

42. Eric H

Coconut palm sugar sounds cool and all,

but it is not a sustainably produced sweetener. Coconut sugar kills coconuts which have far more useful applications, and there is a limited growing capacity in the world. So I decided to use regular sugar, honey or agave,

or stevia+erythritol which, as artificial sweeteners go, is not too bad, with a low GI.

43. patti

I’d like to know how many net carbs, fiber and calories per cookie, can you provide?

44. Debbi

Here’s an idea: skip the sugar altogether. Add one mashed banana, add an additional egg, throw in a couple dashes of liquid stevia if you must. Cookie is moist, holds together and low glycemic.

45. Rebecca

Is there a way to make these chewy? Thanks!

46. Nacia

Has anyone tried to make these with coconut flour? If so are the ratios the same? Thanks!