How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream (3 Flavors!)

As you probably know by now, I don’t have any diet related dogmas (except avoiding industrial chemicals, pesticides, toxins and other additives in food), but I do follow my body’s intuition and listen to it very closely when deciding what to eat. I have noticed not eating dairy products on a daily basis has improved the way my body looks and feels tremendously. I used to be one of those gals that SWORE by greek yogurt for snack time… and now I can’t even think of having that stuff. My skin is brighter and less sensitive, my stomach feels flatter and my general energy soars when I pay attention to the amount of dairy products in my diet. But, if there’s one thing that gets me off my routine – it’s ice cream! I love it! And that’s why I’m always looking for ways to enjoy dairy free desserts and it’s why I created this recipe so I can enjoy ice cream all the time without sacrificing how I feel, the way I look or my energy level.

IMG_8480
This recipe is for homemade coconut milk-based ice cream made just like your old time favorites. Yesterday, I made Pistachio Almond, because that used to be my favorite ice cream at Baskin-Robbins before I figured out all the crazy artificial colors and additives it had… I’ve made this recipe with 2 other flavor profiles recently too, my husband’s favorites – Cookies and Cream and Mint Chocolate Chip. They are both SO GOOD!

coconuticecreamYou can get really creative with this recipe because it has a common base of ingredients. I hope you have fun with it and report back your delicious results!
4.7 from 27 reviews
Food Babe's Homemade Coconut Milk Ice Cream (3 Flavors)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 10
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Combine base ingredients in blender and blend until smooth
  2. Add liquid flavorings (extracts) into blender and blend again
  3. Pour mixture into ice cream machine and turn on
  4. Mix for at least 20 mins or until ice cream is formed
  5. Stir in dry ingredients - i.e. nuts, cookies, etc and serve
  6. Best served immediately, if stored in freezer, place back into ice cream maker to make smooth and creamy again.
Notes
Choose all organic ingredients if possible.

How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream

Step 1: Blend coconut milk with sugar of choice (frozen bananas or coconut palm sugar) and extract flavorings in a high-speed blender

IMG_8447Step 2: Pour into (pre-frozen) ice cream machine. The Cuisinart machine makes awesome ice cream…

IMG_8450Step 3: Let the machine work for about 20 mins or so

IMG_8458Step 4: Stir in chopped nuts, cacao nibs or cookies depending on which flavor you are making

mixingStep 5: Store ice cream in freezer in a safe glass container

IMG_8486Step 6:  Serve and enjoy!

IMG_8483

Do you know someone who is a frozen yogurt addict or loves ice cream? Share this post with them… don’t let them miss out in all this easy to make goodness.

Cheers,

P.S. If you like recipes like this that make your body feel amazing and beautiful, you’ve got to check out the Food Babe Eating Guide.

, , , ,

239 Responses to “How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream (3 Flavors!)”

1. Cindy

Made the almond pistachio ice cream, or should I say ice cream pops, I poured the mixture into my zoku and 10 minutes later I had DELICIOUS ice pops!

2. Ann

Hi I was wondering do you add the rock salt and ice? New to making ice cream

• Roni (to Ann)

You do not use rock salt or ice this type of electric ice cream maker. Its NEVER added to the ice cream, no matter which ice cream maker you use. Some use it to help in freezing. With these, the bowl is frozen before each use.

3. Diane

Does liquid stevia (I use SteviaClear) work as well? If so, any idea on the amount to use? *** Also, do you think Greek yogurt could be made with coconut milk? Would love to see your version of a Greek (higher protein) yogurt made with anything, really *^~^*

4. T.K.

Great recipe. I tasted the mix before putting it in the ice cream maker and to me it tasted too sweet. So I doubled up on the coconut milk but left all the other ingredients the same. So it was effectively half the sugar and extract of the origial recipe and I thought it was perfect.

5. Gary Wright

Does any0ne know the calorie count on this? I am trying to find healthy snacks that I can eat occasionally, as I try to lose 55 lbs and get off insulin. This sounds like it would be something I could enjoy occasionally, but I am keeping track of what I eat with my new fitbit zip and website and need to know how to enter this into my food diary.

• Cathy (to Gary Wright)

Go onto MyFitnessPal.com,join and you can use their recipe calculator to find out the nutrition content of this.

• Penny (to Gary Wright)

hi Gary have you ever tried 7.2? I’ve been using it for 2 months I’ve lost 15 pounds and I no longer have chronic pain that I’ve been battling for 7 years it actually alkalis is the body gets rid of all inflammation! Its all natural, non GMO,vegan no sweeteners, no artificial anything no soy, no wheat, check it out on YouTube watch the live blood analysis you will be amazed! it’s amazing what the body does naturally when you have alcohol is a shin call me or text me with questions 208-51 4-5475

• Jen B (to Gary Wright)

Try the Paleo diet–pounds and inches will fall off of you. The basic premise is to cut out grains, sugar, legumes, processed foods and instead feed your body with good fats (coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil) and organic eggs, meats and produce. You will be amazed and will likely get away from needing insulin and/or cholesterol meds. Never count calories or eat low fat again! My husband lost three inches off of his waste in a month and my “baby pouch” is no longer in existence. We are mid 40s. I’m looking at this ice cream recipe b/c it fits with our new diet.

• BrenS (to Jen B)

(To Jen B & Gary Wright)
        I changed my lifestyle to Paleo in March last year after a diagnosis of IPF. I lost 70 lbs. by December. I went from a size 18-20 to a size 12. I’ve never felt better & there has been no progression in my IPF. ALL levels have stabilized. I love my ice cream and this recipe base is wonderful to satisfy my cravings. Even my husband who is not on the Paleo plan loves it. Try it with ripe avocado, yummy! Thanks Food Babe.

• Shary (to Gary Wright)

A great book to get with lots of info on healthy alternatives to conventional snacks – “UNJUNK YOUR JUNK FOOD” – Andrea Donsky and Randy Boyer with Lisa Tsakos; has nutrition facts and calorie info.

6. Ian Hulett

Wow. It’s ice cream, AND it’s good for you? Nice!

7. caroline

Great idea, but how do you make it without an ice cream maker?

• Patty (to caroline)

I have an ice cream maker, but, I’ve heard you can do it by mixing the ingredients and using a mixer every 30 minutes to add the air fluff.

• LA Burris (to caroline)

If you have a high powered blender you could make it in there in a few minutes.
      I would freeze half the coconut milk in an ice tray. And make sure the bananas are well frozen. I’d put the other half of coconut milk(cold) in the blender then the bananas and salt/flavoring you’re using. Blend for 30-45 sec on high then drop in the frozen milk cubes while blending. Blend until smooth. It will be like soft serve. You could stir in any other ingredients at that time and enjoy immediately.

8. Sylvia Van Peebles

I absolutely LOVE your site! I follow you religiously and share with friends. I have RA, so dairy is out for me. I started a FB group for those wanting to find natural alternatives to the conventional drugs. Your recipes are a Godsend.

• Penny (to Sylvia Van Peebles)

Hi Sylvia, have you ever tried Seven Point 2 for your RA? I’ve been using it for 2 months I’ve lost 15 pounds and I no longer have chronic pain that I’ve been battling for 7 years it actually alkalises the body gets rid of all inflammation! Its all natural, non GMO,vegan no sweeteners, no artificial anything no soy, no wheat, check it out on YouTube watch the live blood analysis you will be amazed! it’s amazing what the body does naturally when you have when your body is alkaline. call me or text me with questions 208-51 4-5475

• Sylvia Van Peebles (to Penny)

Thank you so much. I will look into it right away!

• Assistant to Food Babe (Madeline) (to Sylvia Van Peebles)

I am so happy to hear you have been enjoying the recipes! What is the name of the FB group?

9. Alyssa

Do you have to have an ice cream maker? I just have a blender.

• nope (to Alyssa)

Nope, you can just mix it well and then freeze. I do it that way all the time!

• Deborah Tukua (to Alyssa)

Hi, this looks delicious. I devised a way to make Pistachio, Chocolate Mint, Butter Pecan, Kiwi Lime and other ice cream flavors in a Vitamix, no freezer, no ice cream machine needed, ready in a minute! Several of the ice cream recipes are posted on the recipe index of my website and are from my book, Naturally Sweet Blender Treats, http://journeytonatliv.com Give them a try and let me know what you think!

10. Jewelz

Those Einkorn cookies are $44 for a box of 6, are they gigantic or something?

11. Justine

I made ice cream the other day in my Vitamix in about 2 minutes is yummy but didnt think of using coconut milk and bananas and adding the nuts at the end. That will be my next ice cream adventure in my Vitamix.

12. Jeff Barnett

can you put coconut butter in it??

13. barbara

How to make this without an Ice Cream Maker?

14. Erina

This is my fave ice cream recipe. It’s so versatile, quick and easy to prepare & healthy but still deliciously creamy. I’ve used the base with whatever I have on hand, and it’s been my go-to recipe for over a year now. I love adding some mild tasting greens (swiss chard, spinach..) to the mint chip for that token green color and added health benefits.
    Thank you for a guilt free recipe I can whip up faster than I could get to the store to buy a pint.

15. JANIS HUTCHINSON

I noticed a few of you asked how to make the ice cream without an electric ice cream maker, and no one has responded. Has anyone figured this out yet? My budget can’t afford an ice cream maker right now.

• Terrie (to JANIS HUTCHINSON)

We used to make ice cream with the kids at school using a 1# and a 3# coffee cans. Put the ingredients in the 1# can. Cover with tight fitting lid. Put into the 3# can and pack around the little can with ice and rock salt and cover with lid. Have the kids roll the cans back and forth for 20 mins or so and voila! Ice cream!

16. DeeToo

I did this with nut milk (I made cashew cream) and it turned out harder than I expected and I could hardly get the paddles out. But it was good. The link for coconut milk goes to the light version, is that correct? And I mixed it up in my vita mix but I don’t know how you make ice cream in a vita mix?? I used the ice cream maker and it was fast, only about 15 minutes until really hard…

17. Courtney

The ice cream maker adds air to the cream, you can sort of recreate this by freezing the mixture for 30 minutes and hand whisk it or use an electric mixer for about 5 minutes and repeating this process 3 or4 times until the cream mixture thickens. Hope this helps!

18. Diana

The mint extract in the mint chip recipe was way too much – maybe it was a typo and should have been 1/2 teaspoon. It was almost bitter, and I had to pour most if it out and re-add the other ingredients.

Has anybody else made this version?

• tirzah (to Diana)

I agree! I made this recipe about a month ago and I had to throw it out. I LOVE mint and this was entirely too much.

19. bryan gorsira

FYI…

Harris Teeter all natural Butter Pecan….not a bad list of ingredients….

Milk, Sugar, Cream, Pecans, Cottonseed Oil, Salt, Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Vanilla Flavor.

• Karen Scribner (to bryan gorsira)

Cottonseed oil should not be consumed. Cotton uses more input than any other crop. All of the chemicals used including the defoliant to make the leaves fall off so they can pick it with a machine end up in the oil. It is just another vegetable oil that is not good for people.

20. Sharon

Do you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk? I see both listed on Amazon.

21. Monica

Would adding crushed pineapple work .. I love coconut pineapple. And toasted coconut.

22. Helen

Yep! delicious! I made the pistachio and almond ice cream and I had to stop myself from eating it. :0) It is a plus that the fat in the coconut milk does not collect as fat on the body. Thanks for the great base recipe using coconut milk!

23. Jo ann

Anyone interested in eating right for your blood type (inflammation and weight loss) feel free to email me. I also can help with going toxic free in your home re. Cleaning, c

24. Kathleen

Looks soooo good. Apparently I need to get an ice-cream maker. Never thought of it before as I’ve never been able to eat ice-cream.

Thanks so much

25. Krp Diem

Just made this coconut banana ice cream and it came out delicious!!!
    So easy, no cook, barely any prep. It’s a keeper.
    Thanks so much and I fully support the critical and important food crusade you are on.

26. Liz

I’m confused about using 3 bananas OR 1/2 cup sugar. Wouldn’t that make a huge difference in the taste and consistency? Has anyone tried both? It seems like if you only used sugar and no bananas that the ice cream would only yield a very small amount. Any thoughts?

27. Wanda

Can this be done without an ice cream maker?

28. Shannon

I went out and bought an ice cream maker so I could make this for my daughter, who is allergic to multiple foods and cannot have a single ice cream on the market! We made this today, and the whole family loved it! I didn’t add any extras, just the coconut milk and bananas, and it was delicious!

29. Aashima

Its really wonderful idea to cool this summer. Thanks for this recipe.

30. Bonnie

Allergic to coconut ! Can you make this with almond milk or rice milk. Looking for and ice dream I can eat that fits in with my diet. Lost 35 lbs so far and miss ice cream !!

31. Guy Cooper

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse here

Food Babe I love you and all of your work. You try and make food companies be held accountable. You want them to divulge all of their ingredients on their labels. Transparency.

But you don’t do it! I lost over 60 pounds since 2008. I went off ALL of my diabetic medicine, high blood pressure meds, etc.

I read all labels. I look at sodium, Carbs, Hydrogenated oils, everything!!

I would love to make this Coconut Milk Ice Cream but I can’t because there is no label information provided.

I’m getting soooo frustrated.

32. Tee

I’m reading through all the responses and see some repeat questions. I thought I would provide my personal input from my own experiences and hopefully it will help to answer someones questions about the making process and ingredient use. I use plain ole’, unsweetened, coconut or almond milk & frozen ripe bananas as my base for my ice cream mixture. You’re not restricted to coconut milk. It can be substituted with Almond or even Rice Milk. I use Ripe Bananas only but a friend of mine prefers hers green. It’s all about your own personal taste too so keep that in mind. When my bananas get brown spots (think cheetah like) I peel it and place the bananas in a ziplock bag in my freezer. The ripe bananas will help to give you the ice cream consistency as well as naturally sweeten the dessert. FB gives you the option of using the sugar or banana as a sweetener. You don’t use the bananas AND the sugar. Its either or. Pick one only otherwise that’s just too much sugar and will taste too sweet. Unless you like it that way- I’m not knocking any sweet tooth’s out there. You don’t need an ice cream maker. You can use a blender & blend well and pour into a freezer safe container and freeze. If you want to eat immediately you just have to adjust your milk and add a few ice cubes.. Start off with a little and keep adding until you have the right consistency you’re looking for. I always have bananas in my freezer so I’m always ready! I have an ice cream maker but I personally hate waiting for the ice cream maker bowl to freeze 12-24 hours AND I don’t have that extra space always available in my freezer. I also have a YoNanas machine which I absolutely love but when I want to really get creative with multiple ingredients, my blender is the next best thing. You can partially freeze and then fold in some diced fruits, nuts, nibs, homemade syrups, the possibilities are endless! Keep in mind your textures and yield will change a bit depending on how thick and creamy your milk is and if you choose to go withe frozen bananas vs. just adding sugar.

Also- FB is just sharing with us her “recipe” for coconut milk ice cream and the “products” that she used in making it. The nutritional value is on the labels and she provided a link to them in the recipe. Just click on the product typed in blue letters. For example, in the recipe “full fat coconut milk” is in blue letters. click on that and it will take you to the amazon page where you can buy it and it also has the pictures of the products and the label. If you want you can copy and paste the following web address into your browser, if this guestbook does not allow autolinks. It will take you straight to the label for the coconut milk. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91RwENDC6JL._SL1500_.jpg

33. Mike pilgrim

Recipe looks good. Could I use high fat content coconut powdered milk instead of coconut milk from a can.