How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream (3 Flavors!)

As you probably know by now, I don’t have any diet related dogmas (except avoiding industrial chemicals, pesticides, toxins and other additives in food), but I do follow my body’s intuition and listen to it very closely when deciding what to eat. I have noticed not eating dairy products on a daily basis has improved the way my body looks and feels tremendously. I used to be one of those gals that SWORE by greek yogurt for snack time… and now I can’t even think of having that stuff. My skin is brighter and less sensitive, my stomach feels flatter and my general energy soars when I pay attention to the amount of dairy products in my diet. But, if there’s one thing that gets me off my routine – it’s ice cream! I love it! And that’s why I’m always looking for ways to enjoy dairy free desserts and it’s why I created this recipe so I can enjoy ice cream all the time without sacrificing how I feel, the way I look or my energy level.

IMG_8480
This recipe is for homemade coconut milk-based ice cream made just like your old time favorites. Yesterday, I made Pistachio Almond, because that used to be my favorite ice cream at Baskin-Robbins before I figured out all the crazy artificial colors and additives it had… I’ve made this recipe with 2 other flavor profiles recently too, my husband’s favorites – Cookies and Cream and Mint Chocolate Chip. They are both SO GOOD!

coconuticecreamYou can get really creative with this recipe because it has a common base of ingredients. I hope you have fun with it and report back your delicious results!
4.7 from 24 reviews
Food Babe's Homemade Coconut Milk Ice Cream (3 Flavors)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 10
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Combine base ingredients in blender and blend until smooth
  2. Add liquid flavorings (extracts) into blender and blend again
  3. Pour mixture into ice cream machine and turn on
  4. Mix for at least 20 mins or until ice cream is formed
  5. Stir in dry ingredients - i.e. nuts, cookies, etc and serve
  6. Best served immediately, if stored in freezer, place back into ice cream maker to make smooth and creamy again.
Notes
Choose all organic ingredients if possible.

How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream

Step 1: Blend coconut milk with sugar of choice (frozen bananas or coconut palm sugar) and extract flavorings in a high-speed blender

IMG_8447Step 2: Pour into (pre-frozen) ice cream machine. The Cuisinart machine makes awesome ice cream…

IMG_8450Step 3: Let the machine work for about 20 mins or so

IMG_8458Step 4: Stir in chopped nuts, cacao nibs or cookies depending on which flavor you are making

mixingStep 5: Store ice cream in freezer in a safe glass container

IMG_8486Step 6:  Serve and enjoy!

IMG_8483

Do you know someone who is a frozen yogurt addict or loves ice cream? Share this post with them… don’t let them miss out in all this easy to make goodness.

Cheers,

P.S. If you like recipes like this that make your body feel amazing and beautiful, you’ve got to check out the Food Babe Eating Guide.

, , , ,

225 Responses to “How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream (3 Flavors!)”

1. Cindy

Made the almond pistachio ice cream, or should I say ice cream pops, I poured the mixture into my zoku and 10 minutes later I had DELICIOUS ice pops!

2. Ann

Hi I was wondering do you add the rock salt and ice? New to making ice cream

• Roni (to Ann)

You do not use rock salt or ice this type of electric ice cream maker. Its NEVER added to the ice cream, no matter which ice cream maker you use. Some use it to help in freezing. With these, the bowl is frozen before each use.

3. Diane

Does liquid stevia (I use SteviaClear) work as well? If so, any idea on the amount to use? *** Also, do you think Greek yogurt could be made with coconut milk? Would love to see your version of a Greek (higher protein) yogurt made with anything, really *^~^*

4. T.K.

Great recipe. I tasted the mix before putting it in the ice cream maker and to me it tasted too sweet. So I doubled up on the coconut milk but left all the other ingredients the same. So it was effectively half the sugar and extract of the origial recipe and I thought it was perfect.

5. Gary Wright

Does any0ne know the calorie count on this? I am trying to find healthy snacks that I can eat occasionally, as I try to lose 55 lbs and get off insulin. This sounds like it would be something I could enjoy occasionally, but I am keeping track of what I eat with my new fitbit zip and website and need to know how to enter this into my food diary.

• Cathy (to Gary Wright)

Go onto MyFitnessPal.com,join and you can use their recipe calculator to find out the nutrition content of this.

• Penny (to Gary Wright)

hi Gary have you ever tried 7.2? I’ve been using it for 2 months I’ve lost 15 pounds and I no longer have chronic pain that I’ve been battling for 7 years it actually alkalis is the body gets rid of all inflammation! Its all natural, non GMO,vegan no sweeteners, no artificial anything no soy, no wheat, check it out on YouTube watch the live blood analysis you will be amazed! it’s amazing what the body does naturally when you have alcohol is a shin call me or text me with questions 208-51 4-5475

• Jen B (to Gary Wright)

Try the Paleo diet–pounds and inches will fall off of you. The basic premise is to cut out grains, sugar, legumes, processed foods and instead feed your body with good fats (coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil) and organic eggs, meats and produce. You will be amazed and will likely get away from needing insulin and/or cholesterol meds. Never count calories or eat low fat again! My husband lost three inches off of his waste in a month and my “baby pouch” is no longer in existence. We are mid 40s. I’m looking at this ice cream recipe b/c it fits with our new diet.

6. Ian Hulett

Wow. It’s ice cream, AND it’s good for you? Nice!

7. caroline

Great idea, but how do you make it without an ice cream maker?

• Patty (to caroline)

I have an ice cream maker, but, I’ve heard you can do it by mixing the ingredients and using a mixer every 30 minutes to add the air fluff.

8. Sylvia Van Peebles

I absolutely LOVE your site! I follow you religiously and share with friends. I have RA, so dairy is out for me. I started a FB group for those wanting to find natural alternatives to the conventional drugs. Your recipes are a Godsend.

• Penny (to Sylvia Van Peebles)

Hi Sylvia, have you ever tried Seven Point 2 for your RA? I’ve been using it for 2 months I’ve lost 15 pounds and I no longer have chronic pain that I’ve been battling for 7 years it actually alkalises the body gets rid of all inflammation! Its all natural, non GMO,vegan no sweeteners, no artificial anything no soy, no wheat, check it out on YouTube watch the live blood analysis you will be amazed! it’s amazing what the body does naturally when you have when your body is alkaline. call me or text me with questions 208-51 4-5475

• Sylvia Van Peebles (to Penny)

Thank you so much. I will look into it right away!

• Assistant to Food Babe (Madeline) (to Sylvia Van Peebles)

I am so happy to hear you have been enjoying the recipes! What is the name of the FB group?

9. Alyssa

Do you have to have an ice cream maker? I just have a blender.

• nope (to Alyssa)

Nope, you can just mix it well and then freeze. I do it that way all the time!

10. Jewelz

Those Einkorn cookies are $44 for a box of 6, are they gigantic or something?

11. Justine

I made ice cream the other day in my Vitamix in about 2 minutes is yummy but didnt think of using coconut milk and bananas and adding the nuts at the end. That will be my next ice cream adventure in my Vitamix.

12. Jeff Barnett

can you put coconut butter in it??

13. barbara

How to make this without an Ice Cream Maker?

14. Erina

This is my fave ice cream recipe. It’s so versatile, quick and easy to prepare & healthy but still deliciously creamy. I’ve used the base with whatever I have on hand, and it’s been my go-to recipe for over a year now. I love adding some mild tasting greens (swiss chard, spinach..) to the mint chip for that token green color and added health benefits.
    Thank you for a guilt free recipe I can whip up faster than I could get to the store to buy a pint.

15. JANIS HUTCHINSON

I noticed a few of you asked how to make the ice cream without an electric ice cream maker, and no one has responded. Has anyone figured this out yet? My budget can’t afford an ice cream maker right now.

• Terrie (to JANIS HUTCHINSON)

We used to make ice cream with the kids at school using a 1# and a 3# coffee cans. Put the ingredients in the 1# can. Cover with tight fitting lid. Put into the 3# can and pack around the little can with ice and rock salt and cover with lid. Have the kids roll the cans back and forth for 20 mins or so and voila! Ice cream!

16. DeeToo

I did this with nut milk (I made cashew cream) and it turned out harder than I expected and I could hardly get the paddles out. But it was good. The link for coconut milk goes to the light version, is that correct? And I mixed it up in my vita mix but I don’t know how you make ice cream in a vita mix?? I used the ice cream maker and it was fast, only about 15 minutes until really hard…

17. Courtney

The ice cream maker adds air to the cream, you can sort of recreate this by freezing the mixture for 30 minutes and hand whisk it or use an electric mixer for about 5 minutes and repeating this process 3 or4 times until the cream mixture thickens. Hope this helps!

18. Diana

The mint extract in the mint chip recipe was way too much – maybe it was a typo and should have been 1/2 teaspoon. It was almost bitter, and I had to pour most if it out and re-add the other ingredients.

Has anybody else made this version?

• tirzah (to Diana)

I agree! I made this recipe about a month ago and I had to throw it out. I LOVE mint and this was entirely too much.

19. bryan gorsira

FYI…

Harris Teeter all natural Butter Pecan….not a bad list of ingredients….

Milk, Sugar, Cream, Pecans, Cottonseed Oil, Salt, Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Vanilla Flavor.

20. Sharon

Do you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk? I see both listed on Amazon.

21. Monica

Would adding crushed pineapple work .. I love coconut pineapple. And toasted coconut.

22. Helen

Yep! delicious! I made the pistachio and almond ice cream and I had to stop myself from eating it. :0) It is a plus that the fat in the coconut milk does not collect as fat on the body. Thanks for the great base recipe using coconut milk!

23. Jo ann

Anyone interested in eating right for your blood type (inflammation and weight loss) feel free to email me. I also can help with going toxic free in your home re. Cleaning, c

24. Kathleen

Looks soooo good. Apparently I need to get an ice-cream maker. Never thought of it before as I’ve never been able to eat ice-cream.

Thanks so much

25. Krp Diem

Just made this coconut banana ice cream and it came out delicious!!!
    So easy, no cook, barely any prep. It’s a keeper.
    Thanks so much and I fully support the critical and important food crusade you are on.

26. Liz

I’m confused about using 3 bananas OR 1/2 cup sugar. Wouldn’t that make a huge difference in the taste and consistency? Has anyone tried both? It seems like if you only used sugar and no bananas that the ice cream would only yield a very small amount. Any thoughts?