As you probably know by now, I don’t have any diet related dogmas (except avoiding industrial chemicals, pesticides, toxins and other additives in food), but I do follow my body’s intuition and listen to it very closely when deciding what to eat. I have noticed not eating dairy products on a daily basis has improved the way my body looks and feels tremendously. I used to be one of those gals that SWORE by greek yogurt for snack time… and now I can’t even think of having that stuff. My skin is brighter and less sensitive, my stomach feels flatter and my general energy soars when I pay attention to the amount of dairy products in my diet. But, if there’s one thing that gets me off my routine – it’s ice cream! I love it! And that’s why I’m always looking for ways to enjoy dairy free desserts and it’s why I created this recipe so I can enjoy ice cream all the time without sacrificing how I feel, the way I look or my energy level.
This recipe is for homemade coconut milk-based ice cream made just like your old time favorites. Yesterday, I made Pistachio Almond, because that used to be my favorite ice cream at Baskin-Robbins before I figured out all the crazy artificial colors and additives it had… I’ve made this recipe with 2 other flavor profiles recently too, my husband’s favorites – Cookies and Cream and Mint Chocolate Chip. They are both SO GOOD!
You can get really creative with this recipe because it has a common base of ingredients. I hope you have fun with it and report back your delicious results!
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
- 3 frozen bananas or ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- For Almond Pistachio Flavor: 1 and ½ tsp almond extract,1 vanilla bean seeded or 1 tsp vanilla extract,1/2 cup toasted and chopped almonds and pistachios
- For Mint Chocolate Chip Flavor: 2 tsp peppermint extract, ⅓ cup raw cacao nibs or chocolate chips of your choice
- For Cookies & Cream Flavor: 1 tbsp vanilla extract , 10 cocao einkorn cookies broken into pieces or cookie of your choice
- Combine base ingredients in blender and blend until smooth
- Add liquid flavorings (extracts) into blender and blend again
- Pour mixture into ice cream machine and turn on
- Mix for at least 20 mins or until ice cream is formed
- Stir in dry ingredients - i.e. nuts, cookies, etc and serve
- Best served immediately, if stored in freezer, place back into ice cream maker to make smooth and creamy again.
How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Step 1: Blend coconut milk with sugar of choice (frozen bananas or coconut palm sugar) and extract flavorings in a high-speed blender
Step 2: Pour into (pre-frozen) ice cream machine. The Cuisinart machine makes awesome ice cream…
Step 3: Let the machine work for about 20 mins or so
Step 4: Stir in chopped nuts, cacao nibs or cookies depending on which flavor you are making
Step 5: Store ice cream in freezer in a safe glass container
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
Do you know someone who is a frozen yogurt addict or loves ice cream? Share this post with them… don’t let them miss out in all this easy to make goodness.
P.S. If you like recipes like this that make your body feel amazing and beautiful, you’ve got to check out the Food Babe Eating Guide.