Breaking News: Chick-fil-A Removing Dyes, Corn Syrup and TBHQ in 2014

It all started with you. GO #FoodBabeArmy GO! You cannot be stopped. I love you!

Breaking News: Chick-fil-A Removing Dyes, Corn Syrup and TBHQ in 2014: Read and share this breaking news here - ABC NEWS

“The changes come after blogger Vani Hari wrote a post in 2011 titled “Chick-fil-A or Chemical Fil-A?” on her site, FoodBabe.com. It noted that the chain’s sandwich had nearly 100 ingredients, including peanut oil with TBHQ, a chemical made from butane. Hari, based in Charlotte, N.C., continued writing about Chick-fil-A’s ingredients.Then last year, the company invited her to its headquarters to spend the day talking with executives.”They took my concerns and started developing a road map of how to address them,” Hari said. On Wednesday, she said she was notified about the changes in an email from the company.”

CFA-Visit

Background:

After writing several blog posts about how many controversial ingredients are used at Chick-fil-A (TBHQ – an ingredient derived from butane, artificial food dyes, MSG, living conditions of their chickens, etc), the fast-food giant reached out to me.

Chick-fil-A invited me to their headquarters to consult with them on how they could change their ingredients. I was reluctant at first, because not only did I disagree with their food preparation, I also disagreed with many of their other policies.

The desire for the greater consumer good prevailed in my heart. I knew that I, just an everyday girl writing a blog, had a shot at changing the food policies of a major corporation with my corporate consulting experience (along with the help of many more voices supporting me – the Food Babe Army). Change has to start somewhere.

Off I went to the meeting. It was productive and positive, and after a year of follow up meetings directly with Chick-fil-A executives, Chick-fil-a has finally indicated to me that they are making several major changes I suggested.

This morning, I received an email from Chick-fil-A executives confirming these changes:
  • Successfully removed Yellow #5 and reduced sodium in our chicken soup recipe. Our new soup recipe is rolling out chain-wide now, and will be complete by the end of December.
  • We have successfully removed HFCS and artificial colors from several of our sauces and dressings. We will move into a testing and rollout phase with these new condiments in early 2014.
  • Testing peanut oil without TBHQ in multiple markets now with the hopes to rollout chain-wide in early 2014
  • We are still in test with the cleaner label white bun. The test is being expanded to other markets outside of Georgia for possible chain-wide rollout by end of 2014.

Still yet to come?

Chick-fil-A executives have indicated to me they are working with the supplier to remove artificial food dyes from their “Ice dream” product (the one they offer in kids meals instead of a toy) at a later date yet not determined and working on further nutritional improvements and innovations.

During my meeting with them, we prioritized my requests and my #1 request has still not been addressed, which is to provide safer and more sustainable chicken that is raised without anti-biotics and GMO feed and that is not grown in terrible living conditions.

Also, yet to be addressed is the use of MSG or Monosodium Glutamate in their sandwiches that makes their food unnecessarily addictive.

Links to the stories that made this possible:

Chick-fil-A or Chemical-fil-A

Why Do Parents Take Their Kids To Chick-fil-A

Home-made Chick-fil-A sandwich

There’s proof processed foods are harder to digest

Chick-fil-A Headquarters Update

Thank you for your work, it took every single one of you to make this happen.

The food industry is not going to change over night, but we are making some major headway.

We are changing the world together #FoodBabeArmy!

XOXO,

Vani

, , , , , ,

335 Responses to “Breaking News: Chick-fil-A Removing Dyes, Corn Syrup and TBHQ in 2014”

1. Clarke Comollo

This is what these fast food giants are afraid of. It’s the future, and if they didn’t think it wouldn’t hurt their bottom line they wouldn’t be doing any of this. More and more Companies with better philosophies are springing up all the time. Support your locals who are doing the right thing and never step inside a Chic-Fil-A for the sake of your life! Also add Subway Mickeys Etc Etc. Look at what they have foisted on us as “food” and tell me they give a darn about their customers… it’s ALL about profits. You go Food Babe!

• Infidel_jack (to Clarke Comollo)

Chic-fil-A is not a corporate giant. It is a family owned business. That is they are open to reasonable suggestions. They are also a Christian organization and I imaginine they are still trying to implement the other reccomendations withour having to drastically increase the Price of their product or abandoning the flavor that sells their product.

2. Alex

What about the 2 doses of MSG in their foods?! That should have been in the top 3. MSG is another ingredient that makes it so addictive and is very harmful to the brain.

3. becky

Why on earth are they using peanut oil? I have a child who is allergic to peanuts. I don’t remember seeing that posted anywhere in the menu. Have I missed it? Also, it would be so amazing if they used chicken that was not raised with hormones or antibiotics. And that was free of msg. I think it’s called “real food”. Lol! So glad someone is looking out for us. Thanks so much for passing along this info!

• kimberly (to becky)

Actually it is printed on the boxes.
      Chick fil a is one of the few healthier fast food options.
      it’s funny that I have many relatives that grew up on foods that people are now saying are terrible for you and yet there’s nothing wrong with them.

4. Laurie

How do we get the big snack companies to stop adding TBHQ to my children’s snacks?

5. Erin

Great! Can you also push for Chick fil A to stop using styrofoam cups? That would be amazing!!

6. Leon Tine

Look they have a mascot negroid femi in the picture! I wonder what her contribution is, no doubt not much!

7. Scarlett

I’m mad that they were using these ingredients in the first place. This is a company that touts so-called Christian family values yet feeds their customers poison. It’s great that they are making changes, however, would they have bothered if it wasn’t for the battle cry?

8. Tyler

Why haven’t you updated this. Chik fil a has agreed to remove antibiotics. The least you could do is give them the credit.

9. Monique

YEAH – heard, on the news this morning, that they are headed toward using chickens raised without antibiotics…..a step in the right direction.

10. Will

I love your impact on Chick-Fil-A and I’m at least encouraged by the willingness of the chain’s leadership to meet with you and make changes.

Thank you for your service and courage!

Will

11. Kim

Thank you chick fil a!!! I have 3 allergic family members. They have bent over backwards to help us!!!!Even letting us try the grilled nuggets for free the first time to ensure my families safety!!

12. visit website

Hi all. I ran across your website the employment of windows live messenger. Which is a actually smartly prepared write-up. My business is absolute to bookmark the item plus resume learn excess of your techniques. Wanted article. We’ll surely returning.

13. Brenda Josey

They have got to get the MSG out! Within an hour of eating MSG, I get a splitting migraine, and that’s what happened when I ate their chicken sandwich. I can’t be the only person out there it affects this way. Keep up the fight!

• Ian (to Brenda Josey)

Brenda I think it’s because you are dehydrated. You need to drink more water, and with each sandwich you eat at chic fil a you should drink at least 24 oz of water to counteract the effects of the salt.

14. Holly

I can’t tell you how excited I am of the changes coming to CFA! Since learning of all the dyes in just the ice cream, we RARELY EVER get our children a ‘treat’ from there anymore because dyes seem to have a negative effect on our 6yr olds digestive system. And we had rarely use condiments because of all the grossities! Very thankful for you!! I wish their yogurt wasn’t so high in sugar!! :-)

15. nic

Hey thanks for all of your hard work. I wonder have you checked out Pizza Hut. I know for a fact that the oil has tbhq in it.

16. Ian

I think they’ve just implemented it, at least in the chic fil a I go to. the chicken sandwich tastes different even from a few days ago.

17. Nicole

I love your information and hard work. If you know how to get them to change oil away from peanuts, since its suppose to be kid friendly and yet there is a rise in peanut allergies, that would also be helpful.

18. Sonya

She avered: “If we carryed on concern this time before piece of work, at luncheon and during the flushing. Melissa – Branch Manager : applying your credit card to pay for anyone with a criminal head as long as the chance presents itself. So on that point’s lots of credt card work that universities are performing in signed on between the universe’s largest and richest commonwealths by President Obama and Prime Minister Dr. Singh. unlike credit lots get measured in different shipways, but if zillions that are misplaced as good as the millions that are spent trying to oppose fraud.

19. Nell

This is great news, now what can we do about the general homophobic view of Chick-fill-a?

• Steph (to Nell)

Chick-fil-A is not “homophobic”, they are Christians that don’t endorse abominations against God.

20. Colin

This is a very interesting article. This is my first time visiting this blog but will certainly not be my last. Thank you.

21. rex

So now, you are taking out all of the good stuff I like in my food. my coloring of the soup? now will it look watery? Taking my styrofoam cups away, come on……now you have to buy cups and put more containers around it so we do not burn our hands. what a shame…

22. Kathleen

I take my grandchildren to Chick Fila, but I can’t eat there. I just discovered why… I am allergic to MSG and now I know why their food practically kills me. PLEASE encourage them to take MSG out of their food!

23. Kristy

Hi, can you advise when TBHQ and the rest if the chemicals that were mentioned in the top of the article will be removed? Anxious to try the new product.

24. Jodi Whisenhunt

Do you have an update about the MSG being removed? My sister is terribly allergic and would love to be able to eat Chick-fil-A again. Thanks!

25. Leah

I am very impressed that CFA is making so many positive changes to their menu. I am not surprised at their willingness to make these changes. I have personally met the Cathy family and they truly have a heart to do the right thing and most likely just needed to get the right information. I guess I don’t hear about any other fast food chains willing to make these changes. CFA will continue to get my business. Thank you CFA for taking these giant steps. You are investing in your customers.

26. Terri

Why isn’t there a date on this story? I can tell by the comments that this was probably posted in February, but I think it would be a good idea put a date on documents like this so it’s easier to tell what the most current information is.

27. Michelle

Thank you so much for doing this. I am allergic to MSG and cannot eat Chick-Fil-A without ending up very ill with a terrible Migraine. I wish to support them but have been unable to due to my allergy. I appreciate them taking time to meet with you and also you taking time to write about this issue. I truly hope they address removing the MSG very soon. travelwithmyfamily.com