I made these gingerbread cupcakes for a family get together last weekend and they were an absolute hit! I love gingerbread, especially given the season – all that yummy smelling ginger, cinnamon, and cloves baking in the oven, so good! What makes these cupcakes unique however, is the icing! I love making “healthier” icing because it is usually the worst part of any cupcake recipe. This one uses a unique blend of coconut manna or coconut butter, a little maple syrup, vanilla and coconut flakes for a festive look.
Coconut manna is basically dried coconut meat that is blended until really smooth like butter (just like almonds are ground and blended into almond butter). Coconut manna can replace many dairy ingredients like milk, cream cheese and butter.
For the cake part, I love using a mix of almond flour and coconut flour or entirely spelt flour. I’ve made them both ways and they turn out fantastic every time. Coconut flour is much drier and absorbent than the average flour so if you’re substituting it, you’ll need to make some adjustments – for every 1/2 cup of coconut flour, you will want to add more liquid to your recipes. An extra egg does the trick!
And it’s no secret I’m a huge fan of coconut oil and coconut sugar to replace any refined oil or white sugar in recipes. Coconut sugar has more vitamins and minerals than any other type of sugar, it’s completely unrefined and considered a low glycemic sugar that has a smaller effect on blood sugar. And thankfully Nutiva (who I buy all my coconut products from because they support GMO labeling and my investigations) sources their coconut sugar sustainably without hurting the environment or animals.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 egg (or flax egg (combine 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp water))
- 1 and ½ cup spelt flour (gluten free option: 1 cup almond flour + ½ cup coconut flour + 1 more egg)
- ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin tins with baking cups
- In a bowl, combine coconut oil, coconut sugar, and molasses and egg and mix well
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Whisk into molasses mixture until well combined
- Boil water and remove from heat. Add baking soda and whisk into batter.
- Fill baking cups ⅔ full and bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted. (If making mini cupcakes - bake for only 12-14 mins)
- After cupcakes have cooled completely, top with coconut manna frosting
- ½ cup coconut manna or coconut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- Combine vanilla, maple syrup and coconut manna together and whisk well
- Use as frosting or topping on your favorite dessert
- Top with coconut flakes for a festive look if desired
Hope you enjoy these healthy holiday treats and share these cupcakes with your friends and family. Making your own desserts are far better than resorting to store-bought chemical filled fattening toxic crap.