This healthy 7 layer dip is absolutely fabulous to make for a get together or outdoor BBQ – it’s fun to prepare and a good opportunity to get a load of vegetables in to get the party started! I love how I sneaked in some kale – I promise no one will notice! I like serving it with organic corn chips and celery sticks. I like to alternate between the two so I don’t eat so many chips at one sitting!
- 3 cups cooked black beans (or 2 BPA free cans)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 2 cups finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, more as desired
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces hummus (homemade or organic store-bought)
- 32 ounces salsa, drained (I like Field Day brand)
- 1 cup goat cheese crumbled or shredded
- ½ cup chopped black olives
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the black beans in a bowl and add the cumin, chili powder and a few shakes of salt and pepper. With a masher or the back of a spoon slightly mash some of the black beans. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the kale, romaine, oil and garlic and massage the kale mix until it starts to soften. Set aside.
- In another bowl, place the avocado and mash with the back of a spoon. Add the tomato, onion, lime juice, cilantro and cayenne pepper. Mix and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To assemble the dip, take a medium size bowl (try to find one with straight sides) and spread the black beans on the bottom. Top with the kale mix and then the guacamole. Next, carefully spread the hummus on top, followed by the salsa. Sprinkle the goat cheese, olives and scallions over the salsa. Serve with corn chips, crackers or veggie sticks. Enjoy!
Check out all those beautiful layers!
Hope you have a fabulous long weekend ahead!
If you know someone who loves chips and dip, please share this recipe with them.