I’ve got a super fun recipe for ya – Sweet potato tater tots with homemade ketchup and five ingredient guacamole! This side dish pairs perfectly with a meal by the pool or backyard BBQ. It’s guaranteed to be a hit with your family and friends too.
If you read the ingredients on most of the bagged frozen tater tots in stores, like Ore-Ida, you’ll see they are fried in soybean or cottonseed oils, which are typically genetically modified (GMO) and have an inflammatory effect on the body. Then they’re made with fillers like GMO corn flour and potato starch and flavored with hidden MSG and natural flavors. No thanks!
You can make these crispy tots at home with just handful of healthy ingredients! I pretty much always have sweet potatoes in my pantry because they are loaded with nutrients and carotenoids that are fantastic for your body… and they are sooo delicious! These savory sweet potato tots are great served along with some ketchup or guacamole, both of which you can quickly whip up while the tots are baking.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- Pinch rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg, beaten (vegan: use 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add the sweet potatoes. Cook until a fork can pierce through but still firm, roughly 8-10 minutes.
- Place the cooked sweet potato and remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse until roughly combined. You do not want the mix to be completely smooth.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of sweet potato mix and form into the shape of a tater tot. Repeat with remaining mix. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes on each side or until crispy. Enjoy!
Have you checked out the ingredients in your ketchup lately? Sometimes we forget to consider the ingredients in simple condiments like this, but the store bought versions are usually packed with GMOs and refined sugar. The iconic Heinz Ketchup is sweetened with both high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup, along with natural flavors. This healthier version is super easy and can be made in about 15 minutes!
- 2 5½ ounce jars tomato paste
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until desired thickness is reached, 10-15 minutes.
- Take the ketchup off the stove and carefully puree in a blender until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Five Ingredient Guacamole
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- Sea salt and pepper or diced jalapeno to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mash with the back of a fork to combine. Serve with sweet potato tots for a healthy alternative to ketchup.
If you know someone who loves tater tots, please share this recipe with them! Who knows, maybe they will invite you over for some!