Planning to spend a day in the park with my girlfriends led me to make some organic vegan oatmeal raisin cookies! I wanted to make something without chocolate to avoid a major melt down.
This recipe is inspired by one of my go to cookbooks “Nourishing Body and Soul – The Chopra Center Cookbook” by Deepak Chopra. It’s a simple cookbook with a lot of healthy ideas – there are no fancy pictures, just your imagination!
It’s amazing you don’t need butter, oil or eggs to make an awesome little cookie! Let me know if you try them, have any questions or need substitutions!
- 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour or spelt flour
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 and ½ cups of raisins
- 1 cup of coconut flakes
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground cardamon (or pumpkin pie spice or allspice if you don’t have it)
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup sucanat (this is whole unprocessed cane sugar, looks like brown small pebbles)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (Grade B)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place parchment paper down on a cookie sheet or lightly oil it with coconut oil
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, oats, raisins, coconut, baking soda, and spices) in a bowl and stir together with a whisk
- In a separate bowl combine and stir the sucanat, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla together
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine until the whole mixture is wet and well mixed
- Using an small ice cream scoop, place each cookie on the pan and bake for 15 mins