I used to get a 3pm slump everyday when I was eating a diet full of processed food. Now that I’ve changed my life with the information I uncovered about the food industry – my diet, my routine, and my health have transformed me to into person full of energy! I am always amazed at how I feel so much more energy now (a lot older), than I did then back when I was younger! Food is so powerful.
However, some habits have not changed. I still like to enjoy a cup of tea after lunch with a small sweet treat. Sometimes it will be a piece of fruit, or a piece of organic dark chocolate. Lately, it’s been this recipe. I love pumpkin spice (with or without actual pumpkin – haha!) as long as the ingredients are clean and organic, so last week I thought wouldn’t it be nice to make some roasted pumpkin spiced nuts. They turned out absolutely fabulous and are really ADDICTIVE! The egg white coating creates a very crispy outer shell making this treat crunchy, sweet and salty – a delicious combination for a satisfying snack to enjoy with my afternoon tea. I love that it is full of healthy fats and protein too.
This recipe would also be great to serve at all the upcoming holidays – everything from Halloween, to Thanksgiving to Christmas. Having a batch of these next to your favorite (organic) cocktail is not a bad idea either.
And just an FYI – I also included some recipe substitutions for those of you who are vegan or allergic to nuts.
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (a mix of cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 cups unsalted nuts (pecans, cashews, walnuts and almonds)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Place egg white into a large bowl and whip with a fork until frothy
- Stir in sea salt, spices and sugar
- Combine mixture with 3 cups nuts and coat them evenly
- Place nuts in a single layer on top of a parchment paper lined large baking pan
- Bake for 1 hour
- Let nuts cool for at least 10 mins before serving (they will get crispy)
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks
***Please use all organic ingredients if possible***
Ok I’m off to get another handful, writing about these and seeing the pictures have my mouth watering big time! If you know anyone that would like to make this recipe, please share it with them.