I posted this photo below on facebook the other day and it caused quite a stir!
Don’t poison santa (and yourself) with these cookie brands with terrible ingredients… whether you choose Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Nestle or store brands like Great Value – you can almost be guaranteed they have GMOs linked to infertility, allergies, and cancer, trans fats that cause 8,000 deaths per year and 20,000 heart attacks, aluminum linked to Alzheimer’s disease, and/or very controversial artificial ingredients made from petroleum that are contaminated with carcinogens.
Luckily you don’t need to buy these ingredients or brands to have fun this season. This healthy sugar cookie recipe below will get you through the holidays! You can roll out the dough and make shapes or just simple round cookies, it’s totally up to you.
If you decide to decorate your cookies be sure to choose ingredients that do not contain artificial food dyes linked to hyperactivity, allergies and asthma. Dyes from India Tree work great to color cookies and icing. You can get it at natural food stores (like Whole Foods) and on amazon here.
These cookies come out crisp and a bit chewy inside – the perfect consistency! I use almond flour because it’s naturally a bit sweeter than whole wheat flour and tastes amazing! The last batch I made went quick. So you might want to double your batter if you’ve got a lot of mouths to feed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all wet ingredients together and combine well
- Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well
- Drop a tablespoon of dough on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Bake cookies for 8-10 mins (until edges are golden brown)
- As cookies are cooling, sprinkle with a little coconut sugar after baking if desired
- Cool cookies for at least 5 mins before serving
- (Alternatively, if you are cutting out shapes, refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour and then roll out using a rolling pin and additional almond flour and bake the same way)
Want more holiday recipes like this? They’re inside the Food Babe Healthy Holiday Guide.
It includes over 100 pages of incredible holiday recipes (appetizers, main entrees, sides and desserts) and tips, along with 7 delicious holiday menus to choose from. All the upcoming holidays are planned out for you – Thanksgiving, to Christmas, to New Years.
GET THE GUIDE: Order my new cookbook, Food Babe Kitchen, and I will email you the Healthy Holiday Guide today as a FREE Gift!
Thank goodness it only takes 15 mins to keep Santa and ourselves a little healthier this season. If you know someone who could revamp their sugar cookies recipe or buying habits, please share this post with them. We don’t want anyone poisoning Santa!