Hey lovely people out there… this week has been a doozy so far for me, how about you? I’m not going to wish for the weekend – but can I get a breather!?
Since it’s Winter (kinda… it’s going to be 70 degrees tomorrow in Charlotte)… I thought I would share a hot salad idea that I created tonight that was AMAZING… I had a typical salad for lunch today, however, I was still jonesing for more greens at dinner, but wanted something warm and comforting at the same time.
Enter…The Warm Quinoa Salad.
Usually when it’s cold outside – I eat more cooked foods than in the Spring and Summer. This salad is the best of all seasons – a way to get a little something cooked and a little something almost raw in the same meal…
This recipe uses quick ingredients – Quinoa (15 mins) and jarred organic Eden Foods tomato sauce (2 secs if you have a strong grip)… It’s nice of course if you make your own tomato sauce – but let’s be realistic. It’s Wednesday, I worked until 7pm, it is winter, I want to hibernate (in the sun tomorrow), organic tomatoes are scarce, expensive and frankly not that tasty this time of year… Ok have I made enough excuses yet?!
I could have eaten the whole pan of this salad… Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- 1 cup of dry quinoa cooked (follow directions on package)
- ½ cup onions chopped
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper (more if you like it spicy)
- 2 cups tomato sauce of your choice
- 4-6 cups arugula
- 2 ounces of raw parmesan cheese grated (Optional)
- Preheat a skillet on medium
- Cook onions about 3 mins
- Pour sauce and red pepper into pan and heat sauce with onions well ~ 3 mins
- Combine cooked quinoa into sauce and cook ~ 2 mins
- Add arugula and let arugula slightly wilt ~ 1-2 mins
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve hot
P.S. Next Up – Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!