Super Detox Juice

IMG 0851

Spring is the air and dandelion greens are plentiful.  Dandelion greens are AMAZING for detoxing and beautifying your body from the inside out.  Most people think dandelion is just a weed that grows beautiful yellow and white flowers but they actually are one of the most healing greens you can buy. Dandelion is proven to reduce swelling, bloating and stimulate the digestive system to release toxins. You can say bye bye to water retention after travel, a heavily salted meal or eating too much.

This is my juice ingredient choice after a long trip away from home to reset my body. I’ve been drinking it all week after all the delights I experienced last week in California – I’ll be posting reviews of all of those eats and more Expo West highlights soon. Until then – Here’s the recipe I’ve been drinking.  Warning – I think this juice recipe tastes great, but it may be a bit hard core if you are new to juicing. If you need a little sweetness you can add 1 green pear or 1 green apple.

IMG 0695

• ½ bunch cilantro
  • 1 cucumber with ends removed
  • 1 lemon with peel removed
  • 2 inches of fresh ginger root
Instructions
  1. Wash all vegetables thoroughly and place into a large bowl
  2. Juice each vegetable in this order – dandelion, cilantro, celery, ginger, cucumber, lemon
  3. Stir mixture before serving
  4. Clean juicer immediately
Notes
Makes two 15 ounce servings – Sip slowly and drink with intention immediately after juicing. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 12 hours (Some live enzymes will be lost). ***Please buy all organic ingredients if possible***

Off to watch the rest of the St. Patty’s Day Parade and turn the town green, dandelion green…

SAM 4383

, , ,

149 Responses to “Super Detox Juice”

1. lizzie b

I use my blender, the Ninja. Why discard the great fiber? Adding orange juice or clean water helps with the blending process. I always add Wheat Grass..Did you know it may help your hair grow in as your original color?

• Create.Live.Dream (to lizzie b)

I use my Ninja too! Isn’t it amazing? All my smoothie recipes that i will be posting on my blog, I use my Ninja. I used to use a juicer but like you said, whey waste the fiber!

• mary (to Create.Live.Dream)

Where can we find dandelion greens?

• Ludicrous Mama (to Create.Live.Dream)

I find dandelion greens in my yard! But our local organic CSA farm also offers them as an option with their greens. You can look in the woods and such too, but I wouldn’t trust random greens in yards and parks because you have no idea what kinds of chemicals may be used there.

• Renee (to lizzie b)

I hear you on smoothies for the fiber, however, both have their advantages. The advantage of juicing is that your body doesn’t have to work as hard to break down the fiber – you are really focusing on the nutrients. Juicing helps to restore the body on a cellular level because of how quickly the nutrients can be absorbed into the blood stream (especially with primarily veggie-based recipes like the one above). You may lose some of the detoxing effects in a smoothie due to the extra work your digestive track will be doing to break down the fiber. I like this article that breaks down the benefits of both juicing and smoothies: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-health/juicing-or-smoothies-which-are-better/

• Shannon (to Renee)

Thanks, Renee. I’m just learning about all this. :) It helps when it is explained why we do this.

• Hillary (to Renee)

Just a side note to all of this… As someone fighting off diabetes, juicing shoots up your sugar levels like mad. The fiber helps control some of that and will aid in balancing such spikes. Some doctors don’t even suggest drinking juices or smoothies because of the sugar spike, but I’ve had better luck with green smoothies bringing down my levels (but not with juices).

• Ashley (to lizzie b)

To use the Ninja for this recipe, Do you chop up the ingredients and just blend with water?

2. Robin

OK to ditch the cilantro and still get the good detox?

• april (to Robin)

I’m going to replace with parsley–I do not like cilantro

• Ludicrous Mama (to april)

If it’s a flavor issue, the citrus should really help cut the flavor. Citrus is great at breaking down and masking greens and other strong flavors. You might give it a try once before assuming you won’t like it in this recipe! Allergy or digestive intolerance then, of course, do what you gotta do!

• Carol (to Robin)

Cilantro has excellent detoxing qualities, so if you leave it out, you won’t get its beneficial detoxing benefits …sort of the point here, no?

• Robin (to Carol)

The problem is that I have that gene that makes me hate cilantro…

• Dede (to Carol)

Hee, hee, Robin…. I have the same gene. Maybe we can use half parsley, half cilantro. It’s supposed to help detox heavy metals such as lead and mercury. :)

3. edgar aquinde

the picture of greens with purple stem isn’t a dandelion. looks like beet tops.

• gigi (to edgar aquinde)

totally agree that the bunch of greens in teh hand are beet rather than dandelion, unless dandelion in the US looks completely different than in europe?

• brazos2 (to gigi)

Agree also. Aint like no dandelion down here in South Texas. I picked a dandelion flower the other day while out putsing around the garden. Can’t say it had a very good taste, but I had the munchies. Also, that nail color she is wearing looks toxic (I kid :-)

• Eric (to gigi)

I often see a variety of dandelion greens here in the Northwest with red stems.

• Tam (to gigi)

Red veined dandelion Taraxacum spectibilia is a low short growing perennial, the leaves are often dark spotted with a reddish stalk and midrib. Flower heads are 20-35mm the outer florets are sometimes reddish or purplish beneath. The achene body narrows gradually at the apex where it passes into the beak; And sepal like bracts broad and often closely pressed but not recurved. It flowers from April to August in moist and wet places often in mountains.

• Ron Gillentine (to gigi)

Dandelion greens are available here in California with green or red stems. I sell red stem dandys every week at a farmers market.

• Elizabeth (to gigi)

The leaf is also wrong shape for dandelion. Dabdelion leaves are ‘lion toothed’ in shape. However, our common dandelions here may be a different type to those in USA.

• Roberta (to edgar aquinde)

there IS a red stemmed dandelion…it’s a cultivated variety called RED RIB. I am growing some in a clay pot here in NY

• Dennis France (to edgar aquinde)

That’s what I thought

4. Suzanne

I would like to start juicing – can you suggest what the best juicer to buy would be for a beginner???

• brazos2 (to Suzanne)

Susanne, like said above..why go through the pains of a juicer when you can get the full benifit (ie fiber) from a blender. There are many available that do an outstanding job, such as the Ninja, Nutrabullet, Vitamix, etc. As an added plus, cleanup is a breeze in comparison to a juicer.

• Sherry (to brazos2)

So happy to hear this! I have a vitamix blender! Looking forward to trying this recipe

• Linda (to brazos2)

I have heard that with juicing, the vitamins and nutrients hit your system much faster giving it an immediate boost. Smoothies (with the pulp) are great for digestion, but it is not as cleansing/detoxing as “straight up” juice. It takes your system longer to break down the fiber. I love the fresh juice from my juicer, but I’m also a fan of the green smoothie too :)

• Marci (to brazos2)

Ninja, Vitamix, etc. are not juicers, they are blenders!

I have a Jack LaLanne juicer that I’ve used a LOT for well over 12 years now. Very easy to clean, only about $100 depending on the model and works great. I LOVE IT. I know there are some out there that may juice better and cost more, but I’m sticking with Jack! :)

• Ludicrous Mama (to brazos2)

Here is a good comparison of the nutrition and health benefits of juicing vs smoothies.

• rebecca (to Suzanne)

I wouldn’t try to sell you on any particular juicer, as I think you need to read up and find out which one would be best for you! I use a masticating slow juicer. The juice lasts a bit longer and there are other reasons. Price may be a factor for you as well….READ the reviews on different brands once you decide what type you want. Here is a website that may help you decide! GOOD LUCK! https://www.juicemaster.com/us/choosing-your-juicer

5. Emma

Than you for all the great recipes and helpful information. Could you help me by providing a link to the airtight containers you use/recommend? I’ve tried to google for possible containers but can’t seem to find one that is a reasonable size or definitely airtight. Many, many thanks. Emma

• Darcy (to Emma)

I use mason jars – fill as close to the top to keep air out – work great!

• Marci (to Darcy)

Darcy, I do that as well. I make about four quarts at a time!

6. Steffany

I agree looks like beet greens is it beet greens or dandelion greens or either to use then? I also have some questions about the Unconventional Habits. I am drinking the lemon and cayenne water every morning and fasting 12 hours plus each night., but I am wondering how long to wait to have breakfast after the lemon water in the morning? Also, is any coffee ok to drink? And… no drinking liquids with meals. great idea, but how long should you wait to drink liquids after then? Or how long before eating should you drink liquids?
    Thanks for all you do and looking forward to your reply!

7. Margo foley

I agree…the picture is not showing dandelion greens…however, let’s just give her the benefit of the doubt and agree that she’s just trying to portray what a “bunch” looks like…

8. Marian Madden

Definitely dandelion greens! This is the only kind I have seen lately at Whole Foods.

9. MMH

Why do you discard the lemon peel? It adds fiber and flavor.

10. Jen

If I’m not treating my yard is there any reason I should not pick my own dandelion leaves? Someone else asked but I did not see a reply.

• Renee (to Jen)

Yes, it is o.k. to use your own dandelions in your yard if they are chemical-free. Many people do this. Pull up the roots while you’re at it. Use the greens in juicing or salads. Use the flowers and roots to make tea. Dandelion root tea is a great liver detoxifier. I think you can eat the flowers too. Balance the bitter greens with lemon juice or a little sweetness. I used to make a maple syrup & olive oil dressing for dandelion green salad. Haven’t had that in a long time.
      p.s. The dandelion greens you buy in the store are gigantic compared to the yard-variety, but they are both nutritious.

11. Mindy

How long should I drink it’s detox for?

• Renee (to Mindy)

If you start feeling unwell, then you’re detoxing too much or too quickly. Take it slow and in small amounts, especially when you’re starting out. Dandelion is a potent detoxifier. You’ll have to see what your body tolerates. Maybe start with 2-3 oz. if you’re new to all this, maybe every other day. Juice more if all feels well.

12. Jeremy

I also would like to know how many drinks will detox my body.

13. laura

Yes those are dandelion in the picture ! I juice with them every day along with celery,parsley,ginger,lemon,green apple! A super drink! For someone with thyroid issues…

14. Jana

This looks delicious! Anyone familiar with juice detoxing and breastfeeding? Some camps say the toxins are released in the breast milk…

15. Lubhit GIrdhar

Great….what does drink with intention mean?

• Elle (to Lubhit GIrdhar)

Lubhit, drinking with intention means to be fully present and mindful of what you’re drinking and why you’re drinking it. Taking Mindfulness classes (yoga for example) helps you develop such skills as being fully present. In the Now, as Eckart Tolle would say.

• Renee (to Lubhit GIrdhar)

Think while you drink, I think.

• Carri (to Renee)

Ha ha! That’s good – I love a jingle!

16. Visha

Next time when you say… “… is proven… ” add a reference to a research work or a scientist’s comment! I like many of your posts but, truly, when it comes to food many become Dr-s & Advocates! Referencing to appropriate research sources could in fact boost your credibility. If you are not referencing any of your future posts, I promise, I’m quitting your mail list!

• Renee (to Visha)

Vani is a food blogger, not a medical expert or scientist. No offense intended, but it doesn’t sound like this is the blog for you.

17. Bess

How many days do I drink this for?

18. kelley

I am so confused i have been wanting to buy a I thought the nutri bullet this site I cant tell blender juicer what is better or
    is the difference please advise

19. Ellen

Hi Renee and all, do excuse me for a minor correction. Nothing to do with the juicing but, could you please tell Vani that Paddy’s Day is spelt with 2 ds not ts. Otherwise it is a girl’s name with 2 ts. Thank you very much.

20. Scott Jeffrey

Any tips on dandelion leaf harvesting? I have them growing inmy yard, just grab a handful and rinse and juice em?

21. dan

Are these just regular dandelions that grow everywhere? the ones that turn into the fluffy white balls and blow all over?

22. Jessica

Hi there
    I am doing my very first juice cleanse. (SO excited) I am on day 2 and am thinking about what i can do when i start eating again. I was thinking it would be good to eat a small meal consisting of a salad and (due to my accomplishment) crab legs. What do you think?

23. Mike

Naturally healing cancer for 60+ years, the Gerson Therapy is a safe, natural treatment developed by Dr. Max Gerson in the 1920s. The Therapy activates the body’s extraordinary ability to heal itself through an organic, vegetarian diet, raw juices, coffee enemas and natural supplements. The Gerson Therapy treats the underlying causes of disease: toxicity and nutritional deficiency. The Gerson Therapy is a non-specific treatment that effectively treats many different conditions by healing the body as a whole, rather than selectively targeting a specific condition or symptom. Over the past 60 years, thousands of people have used the Gerson Therapy to recover from so-called “incurable” diseases like cancer, diabetes, arthritis, etc.