Super Detox Juice

IMG 0851

Spring is the air and dandelion greens are plentiful.  Dandelion greens are AMAZING for detoxing and beautifying your body from the inside out.  Most people think dandelion is just a weed that grows beautiful yellow and white flowers but they actually are one of the most healing greens you can buy. Dandelion is proven to reduce swelling, bloating and stimulate the digestive system to release toxins. You can say bye bye to water retention after travel, a heavily salted meal or eating too much.

This is my juice ingredient choice after a long trip away from home to reset my body. I’ve been drinking it all week after all the delights I experienced last week in California – I’ll be posting reviews of all of those eats and more Expo West highlights soon. Until then – Here’s the recipe I’ve been drinking.  Warning – I think this juice recipe tastes great, but it may be a bit hard core if you are new to juicing. If you need a little sweetness you can add 1 green pear or 1 green apple.

IMG 0695

• ½ bunch cilantro
  • 1 cucumber with ends removed
  • 1 lemon with peel removed
  • 2 inches of fresh ginger root

Instructions
  1. Wash all vegetables thoroughly and place into a large bowl
  2. Juice each vegetable in this order – dandelion, cilantro, celery, ginger, cucumber, lemon
  3. Stir mixture before serving
  4. Clean juicer immediately

Notes
Makes two 15 ounce servings – Sip slowly and drink with intention immediately after juicing. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 12 hours (Some live enzymes will be lost). ***Please buy all organic ingredients if possible***

Off to watch the rest of the St. Patty’s Day Parade and turn the town green, dandelion green…

SAM 4383

, , ,

109 Responses to “Super Detox Juice”

1. lizzie b

I use my blender, the Ninja. Why discard the great fiber? Adding orange juice or clean water helps with the blending process. I always add Wheat Grass..Did you know it may help your hair grow in as your original color?

• Create.Live.Dream (to lizzie b)

I use my Ninja too! Isn’t it amazing? All my smoothie recipes that i will be posting on my blog, I use my Ninja. I used to use a juicer but like you said, whey waste the fiber!

2. Robin

OK to ditch the cilantro and still get the good detox?

• april (to Robin)

I’m going to replace with parsley–I do not like cilantro

3. edgar aquinde

the picture of greens with purple stem isn’t a dandelion. looks like beet tops.

• gigi (to edgar aquinde)

totally agree that the bunch of greens in teh hand are beet rather than dandelion, unless dandelion in the US looks completely different than in europe?

• brazos2 (to gigi)

Agree also. Aint like no dandelion down here in South Texas. I picked a dandelion flower the other day while out putsing around the garden. Can’t say it had a very good taste, but I had the munchies. Also, that nail color she is wearing looks toxic (I kid :-)

• Eric (to gigi)

I often see a variety of dandelion greens here in the Northwest with red stems.

• Tam (to gigi)

Red veined dandelion Taraxacum spectibilia is a low short growing perennial, the leaves are often dark spotted with a reddish stalk and midrib. Flower heads are 20-35mm the outer florets are sometimes reddish or purplish beneath. The achene body narrows gradually at the apex where it passes into the beak; And sepal like bracts broad and often closely pressed but not recurved. It flowers from April to August in moist and wet places often in mountains.

• Ron Gillentine (to gigi)

Dandelion greens are available here in California with green or red stems. I sell red stem dandys every week at a farmers market.

4. Suzanne

I would like to start juicing – can you suggest what the best juicer to buy would be for a beginner???

• brazos2 (to Suzanne)

Susanne, like said above..why go through the pains of a juicer when you can get the full benifit (ie fiber) from a blender. There are many available that do an outstanding job, such as the Ninja, Nutrabullet, Vitamix, etc. As an added plus, cleanup is a breeze in comparison to a juicer.

• rebecca (to Suzanne)

I wouldn’t try to sell you on any particular juicer, as I think you need to read up and find out which one would be best for you! I use a masticating slow juicer. The juice lasts a bit longer and there are other reasons. Price may be a factor for you as well….READ the reviews on different brands once you decide what type you want. Here is a website that may help you decide! GOOD LUCK! https://www.juicemaster.com/us/choosing-your-juicer

5. Emma

Than you for all the great recipes and helpful information. Could you help me by providing a link to the airtight containers you use/recommend? I’ve tried to google for possible containers but can’t seem to find one that is a reasonable size or definitely airtight. Many, many thanks. Emma

6. Steffany

I agree looks like beet greens is it beet greens or dandelion greens or either to use then? I also have some questions about the Unconventional Habits. I am drinking the lemon and cayenne water every morning and fasting 12 hours plus each night., but I am wondering how long to wait to have breakfast after the lemon water in the morning? Also, is any coffee ok to drink? And… no drinking liquids with meals. great idea, but how long should you wait to drink liquids after then? Or how long before eating should you drink liquids?
    Thanks for all you do and looking forward to your reply!

7. Margo foley

I agree…the picture is not showing dandelion greens…however, let’s just give her the benefit of the doubt and agree that she’s just trying to portray what a “bunch” looks like…

8. Marian Madden

Definitely dandelion greens! This is the only kind I have seen lately at Whole Foods.

9. MMH

Why do you discard the lemon peel? It adds fiber and flavor.

10. Jen

If I’m not treating my yard is there any reason I should not pick my own dandelion leaves? Someone else asked but I did not see a reply.

11. Mindy

How long should I drink it’s detox for?