The Ingredients in Sunscreen Destroying Your Health

Your skin is your largest organ.

It covers and protects everything on your body. How you treat it is incredibly important to your health. However, the skin is one of the most unappreciated organs, and one that I used to totally take for granted, slathering products full of toxic chemicals on it day after day. When I look back at all the different potions I’ve tried, I shake my head in disbelief and wish I would have known better. Not only would I not have developed eczema all over my body and face, but I would have looked a million times better growing up.

One of those products that has always caused me issues – is sunscreen. Every time after a beach vacation or going to the pool, I’d end up with a rash on my face or body. I wondered if I’d eaten something that I was allergic to. Little did I know at the time – the culprit was sunscreen.

Sunscreen

The unknown long-term consequences of the chemicals in sunscreen are just starting to be revealed and the results are shockingly horrific, going beyond the common skin rash. Here in the United States, the FDA does not regulate cosmetics as rigorously as pharmaceuticals or food – allowing cosmetic companies to get away with using all types of chemical ingredients that are not used and in some cases banned in other countries. Sounds familiar – eh?

Sunscreen is supposed to protect us from harmful UV radiation from the sun, but as more people use sunscreen, the incidence of skin cancer continues to rise. This fact alone has to make you think – do sunscreens really provide skin cancer protection? Or could the chemicals in them actually be contributing to causing skin cancer?

It gets complicated trying to answer those questions. Some studies have shown that sunscreens do in fact protect us from some types of less threatening forms of skin cancers, but others have found that sunscreens have actually contributed to the risk of some of the worst forms of skin cancers.

So what do you do?

I certainly don’t want to look like a wrinkly old hag when I’m older from laying out in the sun too long without protection – but I also don’t want to increase my cancer risk by using products that could be harmful. Anti-aging is important to me and that’s why I live the way I do – not only do I want to look my best when I’m older, I want to feel my best too.

Sunscreen

Below are my favorite sunscreen brands that are rated between 0-2 for their entire line of sun care products and are the safest available. I’ve included the links on where to find these brands online if you can’t find them in stores near you – but most natural food stores and vitamin shops will have one of these options available.

1. Badger - Certified organic, several different SPFs and option for kids, babies and active people, unscented available
  2. Thinkbaby/Thinksport - Great for athletes, kids and adults for prolonged exposure in sun –  Get 10% off with code: “foodbabe10″
  3. John Masters Organics - SPF 30, only one option available
  4. Seventh Generation - SPF 30, only one option available
  5. Aubrey Organics - SPF 26-45 available, unscented available
  6. Raw Elements - The first organic, non-GMO certified sunscreen - Get 10% with code: foodbabe
  7. Sunology  – Kids, Face and Body Protection – one of my favorites, because it glides in easily
  8. California Baby (Target carries this brand) – Formulated for sensitive skin, SPF 18-30

*Note – Alba and Kiss My Face are two other brands that are safer than most conventional brands. However, you must only choose their mineral based products – for example Alba’s Mineral SPF 30 Unscented and Kiss My Face’s Mineral Lotion SPF 40 are great choices – but other versions in the same brand category may not be as safe.

There are over 1800 products on the market to choose from, making it incredibly confusing and difficult to pick the best and safest brand. Here’s what you need to watch out for:

• Oxybenzone - this is a hormone disrupting chemical which penetrates the skin and enters the bloodstream. It is the most popular ingredient in chemical based sunscreens and only blocks UVB ray (sun’s good rays that provide vitamin D production), not UVA which are the most free radical damaging rays.  Avoid any sunscreen that has this chemical at all costs, especially for children.
  • Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate) – A 2009 study by U.S. government scientists released by the National Toxicology Program found when this is applied to the skin in the presence of sunlight, it may speed the development of skin tumors and lesions.
  • FragranceSure it may make the product smell nice, but this is a petroleum based product that is linked to organ toxicity and allergies.
  • High SPF – The FDA does not regulate SPF higher than 50 and there’s no scientific proof they work better than lower SPF. Many of the higher SPFs do not provide any additional protection and studies have suggested that users are exposed to as many or more ultraviolet rays as those who use lower-SPF products.
  • Sprays or Powders – Generally speaking, sprays and powders have additional chemicals added to them for performance purposes. These additional chemicals are usually not something you want to be spraying on your body and can be toxic to the lungs. Besides, remember sunscreen is formulated for your skin, not your lungs. Many of the side effects of sprays and powders on the lungs are not tested before being approved.
  • Popular Conventional Brands - Aveeno, Banana Boat, Coppertone Sport, Coppertone Water Babies, Bull Frog, Neutragena, Storebrands (CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens), Hawaiian Tropic and many other popular brands are rated the worst in terms of safety in the Environmental Working Group’s Sunscreen Guide. You can use this guide to find out how good or bad the brand you have or want to buy is rated.

How To Choose A Safe Sunscreen:

• Look for titanium dioxide and zinc oxide based mineral sunscreens, which do not penetrate the skin and provide UVA protection against the sun’s most damaging rays.
  • Choose non-nano products that do not have small particles that can absorb into skin
  • Choose sunscreens that are unscented or use essential oils as fragrance
  • Pick lotion based sunscreens with water resistance
  • Pick broad spectrum sunscreens that protect against UVA and UVB rays
  • Choose sunscreen products that are rated 0-2 in the Environmental Working Group’s Sunscreen Guide.

When it comes to being in the sun, I’m lucky. I tan, don’t burn and don’t completely freak out if I forgot my sunblock – however, because of my olive complexion I have to stay in the sun longer in order to get sufficient Vitamin D. (The lighter your skin color, the faster your absorption of Vitamin D). I wear sunblock at the pool, at the beach and when I’m outdoors for extended periods, but I’ve decided not to wear it everyday.

Using as little as 15 SPF blocks your body’s ability to convert the sun’s rays to Vitamin D by 99%. If you want to increase your chances of avoiding diseases linked to deficiencies in Vitamin D (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and depression) – you must get sunshine! The sun’s rays are pure wonderful energy your body needs.

Before I go – I want to mention this important fact. The biggest immediate benefit of getting sun a few times a week is the reduction of cravings. When Vitamin D levels are low, the hormone that controls appetite stops working. You eat and eat and eat, and never feel full when this happens. The sun contributes significantly to the daily production of Vitamin D, and as little as 10 minutes of exposure a few times a week is enough to help prevent deficiencies. Vitamin D also helps boost serotonin levels, your happy hormone, warding off depression which naturally reduces cravings. For me, this is reason enough to let the sun shine in!

If you know someone that might still be buying sunscreen with shady ingredients, please share this post with them, you could have a serious impact on their livelihood!

Thank you for spreading the word to the ones you love.

P.S. These sunscreen deals below are available for Food Babe readers for a limited time only!

Thinkbaby/Thinksport - Great for athletes, kids and adults for prolonged exposure in sun –  Get 10% off with code: foodbabe10

Sunscreen 2

, , ,

584 Responses to “The Ingredients in Sunscreen Destroying Your Health”

1. john

If you trust that Pharmaceutical companies have your best interest in mind, by all means buy into their hype on the need for sunscreens to “protect” from skin cancer. Yes, pharmaceutical companies! Merck owns coppertone. Sun pharmaceuticals owns banana boat and hawaiian tropic. These companies sell cancer drugs. Need I say more?

• tracy (to john)

Well said and very truthful!

• Sabrina (to john)

omg that is so wrong!

• Catherine (to Sabrina)

Thank you Sabrina. Skin cancer is the number one cancer in women – FAR more common than breast cancer. You may not trust pharmaceutical companies, but you can trust peer-reviewed scientific literature. I work for a group of oncology physician-researchers, and believe me, they are looking for the TRUTH, not whatever they think might be true. Real scientists try to prove themselves WRONG, not right – it’s called the “scientific method.” And the scientist-physicians I work for are not in anybody’s pocket.

• Kirk (to john)

John, while I have no great love for big pharma, imputing evil motives (i.e. greed) to those who sell both sunscreen and cancer drugs based merely on that overlap is unfounded. That would be like me saying, “Hospitals charge to serve sick/injured people AND they sell them drugs as well. Therefore, avoid hospitals.” It is possible that a for-profit company could have benevolent motives for both endeavors, namely cancer prevention (sunscreen) and cancer treatment (cancer drugs). Maybe they just need to tweak their sunscreen recipe, right?

2. janine

Arbonne makes a sunscreen as well. No harsh chemicals nongmo.

• Kim (to janine)

Check the arbonne ingredients Janine. They contain tons of chemicals. Their claims to their reps that their products are safe is totally false. It is really sad.

• Ali (to Kim)

Kim,
        I am sorry but that’s false. Know that Arbonne can’t legally claim to have no harmful ingredients if it wasn’t true. They even have their Green Commitment at the front of their catalog! :) Many do not know about ARBONNE but they should!
        What you read in their ingredients are NOT chemicals. Those are Premium Botanically Based Products :)
        The Zinc that you find in Arbonne sunblocks is the botanical type that you can have. Their 460+ products are FREE of the following:
        Paba
        Parabens
        Phalates (plastics)
        Tallow
        Chemicals
        Fragances
        Dyes
        Gluten
        No GMO
        NO Cholesterol, Saturated Fats or Trans Fats (in Health & Wellness line)
        NO Artificial Colors, Flavors or Sweeteners (in Health & Wellness line)
        They are also:
        PH Balanced & Correct
        Hypo-allergenic
        Dermatologist, Pediatrician and Ophthalmologist-tested
        Vegan Certified = they do NOT have animal product, by-products and NO testing on animals! YAY! (many cannot claim to be Vegan Certified yet, they can barely be Organic or Organic Certified!!!)

ARBONNE has being doing this for over 34 years!! They should teach other companies to maintain and commit with these standards. They are TOP NOTCH of quality and more affordable than many other departmental “quality products”! If fact, other companies are trying to copy what ARBONNE does but still they are not having this success because it is HARD to be FREE of this much stuff and still claim to be PURE, SAFE & BENEFICIAL! Hope this will give you just an idea of why they are THAT good :)

• Anna (to Kim)

Arbonne baby sunscreen has Oxybenzone. It’s not it’s cracked up to be. I suggest you look into further Janine.

• LeBeau (to Ali & Janine) (to janine)

Look, you are on a computer…you ought to know how to Google. It to me a whooping 2 minutes to find no less than 5 separate and reliable websites to report that ARBONNE is not what they claim to be. They use a bunch of chemicals that are bad. Period. Don’t get suckered in by your friend or neighbor who sells you this stuff, don’t believe what some company ‘claims to be true’. Do the research, it’s NOT rocket science. Or don’t, use products without investigating and then suck it up when you get cancer…or some other health issue. It’s a choice to be healthy, not a right.

3. Rylee

Curious to see what you think of babyganics brand! Thanks :)

4. BroknWing

Thank YOU for writing this & doing this research! It is SOOO helpful to know that I’m not the only person that can’t wear sunscreen because of the chemicals that are typically used! Just last summer was the first time in decades that I found sunscreen without the Oxy-______ chemicals that turn me into a lobster. Currently I’m using Neutrogena Baby &/ Face but it’s nice to know that there might be others out there. Like you, I tan just by thinking about going in the sun & only burn when using conventional sunscreen or at a beach literally all day long without some sort of protection(I.Don’t.Do.This.)…

It is so difficult to find sunscreen that I can wear on the occasions that I *DO* need something, it helps having a list/chart to refer to for a starting point.

5. cathssc

Thanks for the good write up on sunscreens. I am happy to know that I made a right choice for my kids. They are using Badger sunscreen. ;)

6. Gina Owens

Where do I buy think baby sunscreen

7. Jen

Actually if you think of the skin tone of people closest to the equator, where the uvb rays are strongest, and up in Alaska and further north the skin tones get lighter. So really it’s not about your skin tone, it’s about where you live in perspective to the equator.

8. robert clark

Government control science ……lol (FDA is the biggest joke in this country

9. Tracy

Question…can someone reccomend which screen brand is beat for dark skin. I don’t like putting on screen and looking greyish or ashy. Thanks.

10. Katherine

This may have already been mentioned. I am extremely allergic to fragrance. My dermatologist has explained there is a huge difference between unscented and fragrance free. Companies will use “unscented” fragrance to mask chemical smells. To be safe from fragrance, you need to find products listed specifically as “fragrance free.”

11. Kim

Thanks for more great info. I read Ewg’s guide and many others about the same issue. I am so glad I found Ava Anderson Non Toxic. They were ranked as one of the top ones by EWG and their products are awesome. I love their sunscreens. They are all mineral based and non nano particle and only contain ingredients that are actually good for you! Plus, they don’t leave you white. Their ingredients: zinc oxide (23%, non-nanoparticle). Inactive: beeswax (organic), theobroma cacao seed butter (organic cocoa butter), butyrospermum parkii (organic shea butter), olea europaea oil (organic olive oil), simmondsia chinensis (organic jojoba oil). My skin actually feels good and moisturized after I use it!

12. gabby

I appreciate the information. However, I am skeptical of Seventh Generation. Read EWG’s report on their cleaning products. They only get a mediocre rating, like “not as bad” as some others. Also, the Seventh Generation dish soap is incredibly harsh on my hands. I cannot use it at all. So I would be leary of any other products they put out for the skin.

13. Hope

The Sunology brand is FULL of soy products! Is that really safe to be slathering all over the body and absorbing that into the skin? I have a child with congenital hypothyroidism, and I assume this is a brand I should avoid? We have Badger, but application can be tricky sometimes. I feel like my head is going to explode trying to keep myself and all of my children safe these days. UGH.

14. Hope

The Sunology brand is FULL of soy products! Is that really safe to be slathering all over the body and absorbing that into the skin? I have a child with congenital hypothyroidism, and I assume this is a brand I should avoid? We have Badger, but application can be tricky sometimes. I feel like my head is going to explode trying to keep myself, and all of my children safe these days. UGH.

15. pkdub

Nine of my different lotions have contending.
    Avon exotic beaches did not
    How long til lotions expire? I don’t see any dates

16. Christina

I am curious about the Honest Company’s sunscreen. They have a lotion and a spray. https://www.honest.com/bath-and-body/sunscreen-spf-30
    Natural, unscented, broad-spectrum (UVA & UVB) 30 SPF mineral sunscreen – everything you need, nothing you don’t
    Easy to apply, non-greasy, non-whitening (non-nano!) zinc oxide sunscreen provides safe, effective sun protection for the entire family
    Zinc oxide is the ONLY active sunscreen ingredient – NO harmful chemicals (ever!)
    Yes – it’s baby-safe! Safe for use on children under 6 months of age
    Water resistant – tested effective for up to 40 minutes
    Non-Nano • Hypoallergenic • Vegetarian • Non-Whitening • Biodegradable • Reef-Friendly • Water Resistant (40 minutes)

Seems to fit the bill…?

• Brian (to Christina)

I got the Honest one based off of this article and it’s horrible – used it on two different occasions and I burned in the areas I applied. I followed directions for applying (about every 40 mins) and even went crazy applying on my nose more often, but at the end of the day I got a bad sunburn in all of the areas I applied.

It’s very thick and greasy and does not rub in well. You feel dirty after applying it. My co-worker got the badger one and she loves it (works well – also thicker). BTW we’re both really fair-skinned, so we use sunblock like it’s our jobs.

May go back to banana boat because that always kept me protected from sunburn.

17. Lisa Dillon

Great info about the chemicals in big brands, but reckless in suggesting forgoing sunscreen. I know many darker skinned folks with skin cancer – it’s not just for vanity and avoiding wrinkles.

18. Betty

Ciao bellissima FoodBabe!

I love what you stand for , and your passion for helping to educate your brothers and sisters, Brava!

I just wanted to add to your enlightening post here….
    one big point to mention in the damaging effects of run of the mill sunscreens,
    is the effect sunscreens have on our marine life, and effectively killing the coral reef….
    before taking a dip in the beautiful blue this summer, I hope to pass on this 3 minute video. fairly new scientific research shows just how it works, and just what those deadly ingredients are.

Enjoy!

Keep up the amazing work you are doing!
    Salute from Italia!
    Betty

19. Ray

What are the results with the new company Supergoop? They claim they’re safe and provide antioxidants in their formula…?

20. Autumn

This is one reason I started shopping at melaleuca. All natural safe products. I feel so much better knowing my daughter is safe from such toxins.

21. Dana

Is TruKid a good brand too (now that it’s non-nano)?

22. Cathy

What about the brand Goddess Garden? I like the products, are these safe?

23. Meg @ Soup Is Not A Finger Food

I didn’t read the hundreds of comments but in case it wasn’t said, I didn’t feel your write-up placed enough emphasis on the very real risks of skin cancer associated with sun exposure. You made NO mention of melanoma (moles that turn cancerous as a result of sun exposure). Skin cancer risk increases with sunburn. How does one balance the risk of future skin cancer with the potential risk of cancer caused by the chemicals in widely-available sunblocks?

Also, I’d like to understand the science behind your assertion that sunblock prevents Vitamin D production, because I’m reading that dermatologists are not convinced that’s true. I’d hate to see more people suffer from skin cancer or melanoma because they read here that “sunscreen is bad.” That isn’t exactly what you said, but a cursory review might lead someone to conclude that.

Your points concerning the chemicals and their health risks are certainly valid; I just felt the write-up wasn’t balanced. I appreciate the research you do and have learned much and become more aware about chemicals in the things we eat and consume and hope you won’t underestimate your ability to influence a growing audience.

• SaintDevil (to Meg @ Soup Is Not A Finger Food)

I wonder if there have been studies done that found a link between vitamin D defficiency and sunscreen. Sometimes it matters whether the person takes vitamin D as a supplement or gets it from food. So that would make it very hard to show the link in between between sunscreen and vitamin D. There would have to be special arrangements done.
      Sunscreens block most of the uvb rays. I believe the higher spf the more uvb rays it blocks. Uvb rays are the one that make our skin produce vitamin D. They are also responsible for producing new melanin in response to damaging effects of the sun whereas uva rays oxidize existing melanin. But then melanin protects our skin from radiation by converting sun radiation into heat. So then the question is do we really want to reduce melanin production…… :/

24. Johnna

I also want to know about the babyganics brand. It seems to meet all the criteria but a review is not listed anywhere.

25. Sheron

Vani,
    I have been using ALBA BOTANICA for three years now. Is this product safe to use a sun protection?

Thanks!

26. Michelle

Very informative. I began wearing sunscreen because I had a cancerous spot on my skin removed (I also do not burn though I am pretty fair, so I rarely wore sunscreen before). I quickly became quite itchy and blotchy and realized that another common ingredient in sunscreens (and many cosmetics) often causes contact allergies and has also been linked to increased skin cancer (though it’s frequently used in sunscreen). This ingredient is octocrylene and even small amounts affect me in bad ways.

• jerry (to Michelle)

I would like to see your answer to machell. (Ref. Octocylene)

27. Kim

What about Colorscience? It is a powder.

28. JoJo

There are many great brands just make sure to look for zinc or titanium dioxide based sunscreens. Elta MD is a great brand and colorescience a unforgettable brushes are amazing so you don’t have to take your make up off to reapply. I use Jane Irdale make up which is also zinc based minerals make up. I work at a dermatologist office and just because you are worried about the chemicals in sunscreen if you are in abound it is better then getting Melanoma. Melanoma is increasing in the US and we have to remember once you get a burn “the skin never forgets” and years down the road you may see something that may surprise you. Get your yearly skin check with a Board Certified Dermatologist not your general practioner.

29. Kelly Bonanno (@Savvysuburban)

Ava Anderson Non Toxic has a line of sunscreen for the face and body that is safer & more effective that all of these! Very surprising that it’s not on this list.
    Sadly, Arbonne & every other company CAN legally claim to be ‘natural,’ ‘clean,’ ‘pure’… they can make these false claims because there is NO regulation. It’s called greenwashing and most of us have fallen for it. You need to know your ingredients. Learn more about which ingredients to avoid @ http://www.avaandersonnontoxic.com/.

30. Sonja

I tried Alba after seeing this post months ago – it was the only one available where I was shopping. It is so THICK it’s impossible to use. The face one isn’t as bad, but the other one is crazy.

31. Michelle

Anyone know about Green Screen? It has zinc oxide & comes tinted too. Dr. Joel Furhman recommends it but didn’t see it on EWG website.

32. Alan

I wanted the Thinkbaby/Thinksport – Great for athletes, kids and adults for prolonged exposure in sun – Get 10% off with code: foodbabe10 and its a good price but why in gods name does it cost $80 to ship to Singapore lol
    I get things shipped here all the time from Ireland $20 and from US with Amazon its even less. Talk about pulling prices from your ass. I’ll check the others :(

33. Christina

While I prefer the mineral sunscreens myself there is a recent from MIT (yes that MIT) saying that there is a potential problem even with zinc oxide.. Here’s the abstract of the study, even when applying topically..Some food for thought..

34. Brenda

My new mantra – “if you can’t put it in your mouth, why would put it on your skin?”

35. liz

Like previous comment, I’m curious about the BabyGanics brand as well.
    That’s all we use for sunscreen (plus all their cleaners, but I’m sure that’s another article!)

36. Bonnie

Good Article. I use Melaleuca sunscreen as well as all of their household /consumer care products. They are non-toxic, safe for your family and the environment. I love their online store. If you want more info on how to shop online as a preferred customer, contact me at greenlifedreamlife@gmail.com.

37. Ali

What about safe tinted moisturizers? I have been using Alba Botanica cc cream and it is at a 3 on EWG list, but it meets all other requirements on the safe list. Is there a moisturizer anyone has tried that fits in the 0-2 range?

38. Ingrid

Have you done any research about titanium dioxide being added to food, such as skim milk or yogurt, as a whitening agent? This ingredient is not listed on the packaging so how does one protect themselves?

39. TSiang

It depends which oil you will use. the lower the nembur, the more UV exposure, the more likely you will turn red and then tan. Remember tan is out and unhealthy May 26, 2013

40. a534533

there needs to be a published source of people’s thoughts on what he or she BELIEVES caused there cancer ( or child’s cancer ) YES I KNOW that what we believe what caused the cancer is just a belief ( BUT sometimes our belief is correct.) For example, if your child has cancer and you believe that living upstairs from a dry-cleaning store caused your child’s cancer I WANT TO KNOW WHAT you believe. *** FROM our thoughts on what caused our cancer or our child’s cancer we can dissect fact, fiction and POSSIBLE.
    PEOPLE NEED to know IF YOU HAVE ANY INKLING about a cause.
    YOU COULD help other parents NOT live above a dry cleaner store (AS an example )
    YOUR thoughts could HELP prevent MORE cancers from developing!!!!!!!
    I DO want to know these thoughts. **If someone thinks that there child got cancer because they took vitamin pills while being pregnat ( I WANT TO KNOW THIS !! ) ( I want to know –even if this is just a belief **** later people can sift through fact, fiction and POSSIBLE…
    Do you believe your child got cancer because you put pesicides on your lawn on a regular basis ( I WANT TO know what you believe….)
    ****PEOPLE let us know WHAT you believe caused your cancer or your child’s cancer
    (BLOG it ) PEOPLE LIKE ME WILL respond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. a539893

People who have cancer, adults and children, should be given an extensive questionnaire that may help prevent more cancer. Adults may be given the child’s questionnaire to answer for the child. The answers to the questionnaires would be filed into a huge database to help compile data and statistics from the answers. The compiled data would be available on the internet for people to see. A computer could be programmed to compile statistics from the data. The questionnaire data statistics may help show possible cancer causes. *** Types of questionnaire questions must be varied and expansive in scope. For example types of questionnaire questions: (1) What is your occupation, ( and spouse occupation )( for a child ask parents occupation.)
    (2) How many hours each week do you drive ( or are a passenger ) in a motor vehicle.
    ( same question for a child.)
    ETC… ( ABOUT 100 – 200 types of questions should be asked of different types… )
    ( many people should be involved in the creation of the types of questions asked on the questionnaire… )

42. rubber autism bracelets

I’ve read a few excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for
    revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you
    place to create any such great informative site.

43. I love food babe (to sally)

Nooooo, she does her research and it doesn’t take a genius to know chemicals can be harmful, sorry truth hurts

44. Jennifer Gallant (to Collee)

Just because you don’t like what you’re learning doesn’t give you the right to call someone an idiot. Especiallly someone who is only trying to help you. Instead of taking time to write something rude, you should have googled it. Here’s one of the very reputable sources pertaining to harmful sunscreens: http://www.ewg.org/2013sunscreen/
    Most sunscreens and beauty products contain very toxic and harmful ingredients. I believe you owe Vani an appology.
    One more thing… Threatening to sue somebody because they said something you don’t want to learn, makes you sound like a very toxic and harmful person.