Are There Harmful Ingredients Lurking In Your Spice Cabinet?

Before I started investigating what’s in my food, I had no idea there were several harmful ingredients lurking in my spice cabinet!

Spices have incredible medicinal properties including curbing hunger (cayenne), boosting metabolism (paprika), killing cancer cells (turmeric) and fighting inflammation (cinnamon), but these benefits are more likely to be realized if the spices are purchased and consumed correctly.

Conventional Spices Contain Harmful Ingredients

There are many reasons for adding spices to food, including enhancing flavor, boosting nutritional value, and also preserving freshness.  Unfortunately, when we buy conventional spices, they often contain more negative qualities than positive. Like conventional food found in supermarkets, many of the spices we find on the shelves are treated with chemicals, contain GMOs and are irradiated. Virtually all conventional spices sold in the United States are fumigated [sterilized] with hazardous chemicals that are banned in Europe.

Conventional Spices

What is Irradiation?

Food irradiation is the process of using radiation to kill bacteria and other contaminants. But while radiation is used to reduce bacteria in the spices we are consuming, the finished product has decreased levels of vitamins and natural enzymes. Irradiation changes the chemical composition of a spice, potentially creating toxic, carcinogenic by-products in the food and increasing our exposure to free radicals. Free radicals cause aging and disease – something we want to avoid at all costs!

How To Buy Spices Safely

With that said, it’s extremely important to fill our pantries with spices that promote health, rather than take away from it.  Below are strategies for buying spices to make flavorful dishes, promote health and limit your exposure to hidden toxins.

1. Always buy organic spices – not only will they not have toxic pesticides, but they also will not be irradiated. Organic spices cannot have genetically engineered ingredients (GMOs), artificial colors, preservatives, and other synthetic anti-caking agents. (Some of my favorite spice companies include - Simply OrganicFrontier, and various store-brands that are organic.)
  2. Buy spices from the bulk bin to get the most bang for your buck. Buying a small amount ensures the spices will be used in an appropriate amount of time.
  3. Check the expiration date. Spices, unlike wine, do not get better with age. Make sure you clean out your pantry often to avoid using expired spices. With age, spices lose their powerful benefits.
  4. Replace conventional spices as soon as possible. If your spice cabinet is full of conventional spices, start to buy organic spices for each new recipe you make week after week, eventually you’ll have a whole new assortment of organic spices to choose from.

Share This Info With Everyone You Know!

If you know someone who could use a spice cabinet spruce up, please share this post with them. They will hopefully love you for it.

Spreading good cheer,

Vani

, , , , , ,

117 Responses to “Are There Harmful Ingredients Lurking In Your Spice Cabinet?”

1. Josh

Did you know that there are two types of cinnamon? a good type and a bad type?
    Check out this article – http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/choosing_the_right_cinnamon.aspx

you should check to see if your monkey cinnamon is cassia (bad) or ceylon (good).

2. Jake Taylor

I prefer my spices freshly ground. I can leave them in my cupboard without worrying about them going stale in 6 weeks. They’re non-irradiated so I know I’m getting the health benefits. And they taste 1000 times better. I mean I fresh grind my coffee. Why would I treat my spices any differently. Buy whole spices. Repurpose an old coffee Grinder. And for light use by ready to go grinders from the folks at Cape Herb & Spice (there are a couple other brands as well, but I’ve never used them)..

3. Jamie

I would like to know FoodBabe’s opinion on Wildtree products. I have been using these organic, preservative free products for cooking lately, and the girl i buy it from wants me to become a rep for them , but I follow FoodBabe and do not want to put my name on something that is not good for our bodies. Has she ever looked into Wildtree?

• Tracy (to Jamie)

Wildtree rocks! We have been using Wildtree culinary blends for 7 years. Organic, GMO free and taste great!

• Mandy (to Jamie)

I have the exact same question!! I’ve been trying to decide whether to sign up because some of the ingredients in the boxed mixes are questionable but the seasonings are really good.

4. alison

Thanks Food Babe! I will be purchasing this cinnamon today at my local market! I’m SO happy they have it!! YAY!!

5. cindy millis

So, we have a problem here….the fact that Frontier, which is the same company as Simply Organic, has China as their source. I have read that conditions are deplorable in China, with polluted water as well as the air and that human waste is considered organic! So, how can you feel comfortable consuming this brand of spices?

I would really like to know, as I have been using these same brands myself and have discovered just TODAY, the source of being grown and manufactured in China! I am kind of freaked out right now and wanting to find an organic source in the US.

• Lory (to cindy millis)

Hi — I’m a little concerned about this, regarding China as the source for all of Frontier’s spices, as stated above.

I just purchased a large 1 lb. bag of their fair trade “Powdered Ceylon Cinnamon” (Cinnamomum velum) and it states that it is grown in Sri Lanka. Does anyone know if this is *not* the case?

I’m not talking about the cassia varieties, but what is referred to as ‘true’ cinnamon (c. velum). Thank you for any information or insights.

6. Nanette Hopkins

Is Pepper considered a spice

7. Gerri Frey

How do penzeys spices rate as far as purity???

• Laurie (to Gerri Frey)

I shop at Penzy’s sometimes. I asked the store clerk if the spices were
      organic and she had no idea and had no idea where they were made. I won’t be going back.

8. Victor Goguen

Always great information, Vani. I have recently been researching the health benefits of spices. I never knew of the healing properties of spices before, always thought they were only for flavouring.

Do you mind if I share this article with my readers? DadsGreenLife.com
    Vic

9. Jennifer Young

Excellent research. After doing my own research recently, I decided I had to get rid of my normal McCormick spices. So I replaced all my spices with organic. I three out every spice in my cabinet and bought 18 organic spices from Simply Organic on amazon. Can’t wait to start cooking with them!

10. ashley lotito

Hi Vani,

I emailed you last month about a new organic spice shop. Spice it Up in NJ carries organic spices, spicely brand, as well as many other products such as oils, vinegars, gluten free baking mixes, hot sauces, etc… It’s a great shop, worth checking out!

11. Deborah Donais

Another great option for spices and blends along with other items is Wildtree. Many organic items also!! http://www.mywildtree.com/worryfree

12. Lori

Thank you, Vani…great reminder!

-Lori

13. Noor

Hi Vani! I recently came across a blog post about the harmfulness of cinnamon, more specifically cassia cinnamon. Apparently ceylon cinnamon is better. What kind of cinnamon do you recommend???

14. ashley pope

Thank you for posting! You can order organic spices and teas on my website http://www.spice-topia com. We source mostly from frontier!

15. ingvar

Could someone explain what exactly is wrong with GMO

16. Laurie (to Doug)