Sometimes instead of a smoothie, I like to blend up a cool bowl of porridge for breakfast. This new porridge recipe is taken from this month’s Eating Guide, and it’s chock full of delicious blackberries and buckwheat!
If you’ve never eaten buckwheat groats before, they are similar to wheat berries or oats. You can eat buckwheat raw and add it to granola. You can also cook or soak the groats first and they will replace oatmeal in many recipes. In this recipe, I simply cover the buckwheat groats with water and allow them to soak overnight so they are ready to easily blend into a porridge first thing in the morning!
Buckwheat is a gluten-free seed that is a complete protein and packed with fiber, so it makes a filling breakfast that keeps you going all morning! It is high in manganese, which helps to keep your blood sugar in check. Regular consumption of buckwheat has also been shown to help prevent heart disease.
Not only are blackberries amazingly delicious, but they are some of the healthiest fruits you can eat. Blackberries contain a potent mix of antioxidants and pectin, which fight off chronic diseases and cancer. That’s why I try to add berries to my diet every day and often include berry recipes like this in my monthly Eating Guide Program.
This porridge is served at room temp, so you don’t need to cook anything, but you can also chill it in the fridge if you’d like it colder. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1½ cups buckwheat groats
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk, more as needed
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh blackberries or fruit of choice
- Place the groats in a glass jar and cover with water to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the water and place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adding more milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh blackberries or fruit of choice. Enjoy!
This is just an example of the types of recipes that my team creates for the Food Babe Eating Guide every month. If you are looking for delicious healthy recipes and meal planning, this is where to sign up!