Growing up, my brother would always joke with me every time I ordered a salad that didn’t resemble iceberg lettuce – he’d call whatever I was having a “weed salad.” Little did I know at the time – but weed salads were the da bomb.com nutritionally speaking and usually contained one or two sprigs of dandelion leaves. Dandelion is not a weed. Let me repeat. Dandelion is not a weed! Ok, maybe it is, but it doesn’t mean you need to treat it that way.
To me, dandelion is miraculous, not the butt of jokes. It has amazing powers to detox your liver and I’m always looking for ways I can include this super green into my diet. It’s rich in iron, high in calcium, has more protein than spinach and is packed with antioxidants (all those things that keep you looking and feeling young). Instead of juicing a big bunch of dandelion greens I had in the fridge this morning… I made this instead: Dandelion Pesto & Pizza. Enjoy!
- 3 cups washed and cleaned dandelion leaves
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup raw parmesan cheese
- zest of a lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or vitamix and blend until creamy and smooth
This pesto has an intense flavor and a little goes a long way. It’s fabulous on top of pasta (buckwheat noodles are my favorite), as a dressing, marinade, on top of crackers or used as pizza sauce like I did below:
- 1 ezekiel sprouted grain or brown rice tortilla
- 2 tablespoon pesto
- 1 ounce grated goat cheese
- ½ tomato sliced in to three slices
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- As the oven is preheating, place tortilla in oven for 3 mins to thaw or get slightly crisp
- Remove tortilla and top with pesto, goat cheese and tomato
- Bake pizza for 8 mins or until cheese is melted
- Remove from oven and let stand for 2-3mins
- Cut pizza into slices and enjoy!
P.S. If you enjoy these types of recipes, check out the new Meal Plans for Health program that just launched this month – especially if you are finding it hard to start or maintain an organic lifestyle, want to lose weight or are looking for a monthly meal plan calendar that will keep you on track. Reviews are coming in and people are already feeling the magic and seeing results!