I love pumpkin pie! But I don’t love the traditional recipe that adds a ton of sugar and hormone-filled evaporated milk to the mix. My favorite part of this pumpkin pie recipe is the coconut milk! It adds a nice hint of sweetness without adding more sugar. I make this recipe every year and it’s a major hit with my family – thank goodness for that! I hope you enjoy it as much as they do.
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 oz.) 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) full fat coconut milk (if you like denser pie, only use half of can)
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and puree with a stand or hand mixer.
- Pour filling ingredients into pie shell.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes (or longer) or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- Top with whipped cream before serving.
I’m taking it easy on myself this year and going with a pre-made spelt crust made by Wholly Wholesome (you can find it in the freezer section at most natural food stores like Whole Foods and Earth Fare). I’ve included a homemade crust recipe here as well, in case you have the time.
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 ºF and adjust rack to middle position.
- Place almond flour, sea salt, egg, and coconut sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Process a few times to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse
- Wrap the dough in a piece of plastic wrap and press into a 9-inch disk.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap from the dough.
- Press dough onto bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch buttered pie dish. Crimp edges of crust.
- Add pumpkin pie mixture or filling of your choice and bake for the directed time.
This coconut whip cream is really easy if you remember to put your coconut milk into the fridge overnight. Choose a canned coconut milk that doesn’t use BPA liners and that is organic like Natural Value, Native Forest, and Thai Kitchen.
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut nectar or coconut palm sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place can of full-fat coconut milk into refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the can from the refrigerator the next morning and flip upside down and open that end of the can.
- Pour liquid into a small mixing bowl and set aside, you will not be using this liquid for the recipe.
- Then after the liquid is removed from the can you will see the solid coconut cream on the bottom, scoop out and place in a large chilled mixing bowl with coconut sugar and vanilla extract. Whip coconut cream with beaters until a fluffy consistency is achieved.
If you know someone who needs a new pumpkin pie recipe, please share this with them! Maybe they will make you some!