Several years ago, I adopted a simple morning ritual that is so valuable to me that I try to do it every single day (even when traveling)! I know from personal experience that adopting this daily habit has helped me stay lean, improve my immune system and reduce junk food cravings. Once upon a time, I had cravings for sugary foods like granola bars or muffins as soon as I got up in the morning, but those cravings vanished after I began this habit. Now I crave whole and satisfying foods instead. Starting my day with a healthy action sets me up for success for the rest of the day and is a reminder that my health comes first.
This is how I start my day, come on into my home and watch how I wake up…
There are some amazing benefits you’ll get from this one little habit!
1. It makes your body more alkaline.
Our bodies have different levels of acidity and alkalinity, and one of the keys to good health is learning to strike the right balance between the two. You can take control of your acid/alkaline balance and increase alkalinity through the foods you eat, and lemons have a alkalinizing affect on the body.
2. It stimulates your liver, which is the main detoxing organ in the body.
The liver has hundreds of vital functions that support health and a healthy liver can support clearer eyes, healthier skin, a better attitude, and a more balanced weight. The liver is at its most active in the morning, and the lemon helps speed up the elimination of toxins. Don’t be surprised if you have to go to the bathroom quickly; this indicates the habit is working.
3. It can improve your digestion.
If your digestive system is not working up to par, it’s nearly impossible to shed pounds or keep your weight in check. Faulty digestion can prevent your body from absorbing the nutrients it needs to burn fat.
4. It can prevent sickness.
One of the key nutrients in lemons is vitamin C. This amazing vitamin fights cell damage and chronic inflammation, strengthens your immune defenses, and accelerates wound healing. Drinking lemon juice every morning, spiced up with cayenne pepper (which is another natural antibacterial ingredient), has prevented me from getting colds and the flu and has kept me going strong. Another nutritious component of lemon juice is limonin, which has been shown to help prevent cancer.
5. It can boost your metabolism.
Cayenne is a little powerhouse that can boost metabolism, fight food cravings, and enhance blood circulation.
Here are the easy to follow steps to adopt this habit:
1. The night before: Every night, I fill my electric tea pot with filtered water, and I take one lemon from the fridge and place it on the counter, along with the cayenne pepper bottle and a cup filled half way with water.
2. As soon as I get up in the morning: I put on my robe and walk into the kitchen to turn the electric kettle on. I then go into the bathroom and by the time I finish putting in my contact lenses and splashing my face with water, the electric kettle has finished heating up my water.
3. After the water is heated: I pour the hot kettle water in the glass half full with room temperature water. Using a lemon squeezer, I squeeze one half of the lemon on top, sprinkle with a dash cayenne pepper (optional), and drink.
4. Sip and soothe: I sip this mixture with a glass straw so that my teeth aren’t exposed to the acid. I drink at least 12 ounces, followed by another 8 ounces of filtered plain water afterwards, before I eat or drink anything else.
I’ve done this every morning for several years. I even bring lemons with me while I’m out of town. I just toss them in my suitcase and ask my hotel for a hot water kettle upon arrival. If they don’t have one, I’ll request hot water in the morning. There have been a few times when I’ve been out of town without access to lemons or limes and thus haven’t been able to follow my morning ritual. On those days, I’ve noticed an immediate difference in how I feel and look – I tend to be drained and more sluggish.
Also, I always use a straw to protect my teeth when drinking lemon water. I love using these Truvani Glass Straws because they are see-through, which makes checking cleanliness a breeze (They also come with a handy cleaning brush). And they’re surprisingly sturdy. I also like using them for smoothies because it’s wider than a normal straw, which makes drinking thicker beverages a breeze. Each time I use mine it puts a smile on my face knowing I’m not ingesting toxins or other nasty pollutants. Plus, it’s a great feeling to begin each day with an environmentally-conscious choice.
This is one of the reasons why we offer these remarkable glass straws at Truvani… and today we’re offering a special deal on them.
And, since I know that many of you are wondering… this is the citrus squeezer that I have used for years and it works perfectly to get the most juice from a lemon!
If you don’t like the lemon water and cayenne drink, try apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water. This type of vinegar has been used as a natural remedy for allergies (including those to pets, foods, and the environment), sinus infections, acne, high cholesterol, flu, chronic fatigue, candida, acid reflux, sore throats, contact dermatitis, arthritis, and gout. Remember to buy the good stuff. Bragg’s makes a great version that is organic, raw, and unfiltered.
This ritual is just too easy not to do – so drink up and start each day with this healthy habit!