My husband LOVES chicken wings – it’s one of his top 3 favorite foods, next to pizza and steak, haha. But it’s something we don’t order out often, because they are usually fried in trans fatty GMO oils, covered in breading, and come from factory farmed chickens that are fed GMOs and antibiotics. I also have to admit, I have never been a huge fan of chicken wings… until now!
I truly believe living The Food Babe Way doesn’t mean you need to deprive yourself of your favorite foods – you just need to know your ingredients, where your food comes from and you are good to go! To satisfy my husband’s obsession with wings, we now get them from chickens that are raised organically and pasture-fed. My husband loves to grill them with a little sea salt, pepper and coconut oil – really simple and they turn out pretty good, but this new recipe with Indian spices takes them to a whole ‘nother level!
We use organic grass-fed yogurt in the marinade which makes the chicken extra juicy and tender. When they come off the grill, they are crispy, light, so flavorful and waaaaaay better for you than anything you can get out in a restaurant. We’ve made these wings a few times now and have perfected the recipe – so I knew I needed to share this amazingness with ya in time for the big game coming up. These truly are the best wings I’ve ever had! Go Panthers!
- 1 pound of organic raw chicken wings or approximately 12 wings
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 and ½ teaspoons of Tandoori Masala Spice Mix or the following ingredients:
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cardamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger (or 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger)
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- handful of cilantro chopped (optional topping after wings are cooked)
- Combine all ingredients (except cilantro) in a bowl and marinate wings for at least 1 hour or longer.
- Cook the wings on a preheated grill, turning occasionally, for about 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- Alternatively, you can bake the wings in a 400 degree oven for about 45 mins on a wire rack.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
For the recipe above, please note most spice sections of the grocery store will carry a standard “Tandoori Masala” mix, you can use that or follow the instructions to make your own using individual spices.
Do you know someone who loves to order and/or eat wings? Then please share this recipe with them! Make these with your friends and family, they are so easy!