I’m getting hungry just thinking about this roasted beet and carrot salad again! I made it during a family dinner recently and everyone enjoyed it – including a reluctant family member that hates anything green. Maybe it was all the red beets and orange carrots covering up all the arugula – who knows, but it worked and that’s all that matters. The warm sweet vegetables on top of the cold spicy greens go really well together.
I used to hate beets until I finally started preparing them myself. Those canned beets I was first exposed to in my school cafeteria totally scarred me into my late twenties. I’m so happy to love them now – they are incredible detoxing vegetables helping cleanse the blood. And who doesn’t need a little cleansing after all the nasty stuff we are exposed to day in and day out? Hooray for beets and this salad! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 4 beets peeled and diced
- 6 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 8 cups arugula greens (or other green of your choice)
- ½ cup feta or sheep's milk cheese
- For dressing:
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp of olive oil
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine coconut oil, beets and carrots together well and spread on a large baking dish
- Roast beets and carrots until tender (approximately 30-40 mins)
- Meanwhile, combine all dressing ingredients together and stir well
- Toss arugula with dressing and top with roasted beets and carrots and feta cheese.
- Serve immediately
If you have a family member who dislikes greens, try this salad on them and let me know what happens. I LOVE hearing your stories!