Every August I still get the end of Summer blues (hard wiring in my brain since I was a kid)… so I am trying to find reasons why I like August.
And I found one! A big one – Figs are in Season! I love Figs like no other. I am always surprised that most folks have never even tried a raw fig. I remember convincing one of my best friends to eat one. I told her if you like “Fig Newtons” you will like raw figs! She was sold. And of course she loved them.
My body loved this Fig salad so much that I forgot all about the fact that it’s August
The health benefits of Figs are tremendous!!!! Figs are considered a restorative food that brings instant vitality to your mind and body.
Figs also ….
- Ease constipation because of their large cellulose content and its tough skin. The seeds in the fruit further facilitate removing “junk” from your intestines.
- Are a cure for asthma: Figs can drain phlegm that causes asthma in allergy induced cases
- Improve your sex appetite: Figs stimulate your nether regions like no other
- Help with weight loss: Figs are fiber backed and expand in your stomach to make you feel full
- Reduce hypertension: Figs have a load of potassium which helps to control high blood pressure
Other ingredients in the salad have huge health benefits too!
Why did I choose Arugula? Arugula contains about eight times the calcium, fives times the vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K, and four times the iron as the same amount of iceberg lettuce. Arugula is also considered the brother of broccoli and has some serious compounds that fight and prevent cancer.
And why Brazil Nuts? One word: Selenium. This mineral is a rockstar antioxidant that is hard to find in other foods. Just eating 1 or 2 brazil nuts every few days is hugely beneficial to looking, staying and feeling young and free of disease!
And why Raw Goat Cheese? – read my post on how pasteurization process robs dairy of all its nutritional value.
My husband said this was one of the best salads he had ever had.
Hurry up and make this soon…time is running out on Fig Season
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 10 fresh figs cut in half
- 2 ounces of raw goat cheese grated
- ¼ cup of raw red onion sliced
- 1 ½ tbsp balasmic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- fresh cracked pepper
- 10 brazil nuts toasted and chopped
- Preparing the salad:
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine arugula, onions, balsamic, olive oil and cracked pepper
- Scoop desired amount on plates
- Prepare the goat cheese figs and brazil nuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place raw brazil nuts on a pan, roast for 20 mins or until golden brown
- Place figs on a baking sheet and top with goat cheese
- Bake figs until goat cheese is melted (about 10-15 mins)
- Remove brazil nuts and figs from oven
- Chop brazil nuts into small pieces
- Top the arugula with a few figs and sprinkle the brazil nuts evenly over the salad
If you know someone who gets the end of Summer blues and/or loves figs, please share this recipe with them