Would You Like to Have Dinner With Me in NYC to Support Prop 37?

The federal government is denying our fundamental basic right to know what is in our food and collectively, I know we can change this.

I hope you will join me and Max for a fundraiser benefiting the California Right to Know Campaign – the ballot initiative to label genetically modified foods.

You might be wondering I am so passionate about supporting an issue I won’t be able to vote on in November. The federal government has refused to label genetically modified foods, which means that we have to get labeling passed on the state level. Due to the sheer size of California’s economy and the influence that this state has on the rest of the country, passing GMO-labeling in California will have a massive ripple effect and will encourage other states to do the same and may even force companies to implement nation wide labeling. Unfortunately, major corporations (the ones I am boycotting) are doing whatever they can to stop this bill from passing and are outspending us 10 to 1. The chemical and seed manufacturers Monsanto, Syngenta, Dow, Dupont, Bayer and BASF just dropped another 5.5 million, bringing the total opposition spend to over 32 million dollars.

Prop37Fundraiser

Hosting this fundraiser on the east coast will raise awareness to more people who may not know what this critical ballot initiative means to them.

The fundraiser will be on October 1, 2012 in New York City at GustOrganics (NYC’s certified organic restaurant) and includes a 3 course dinner. Tickets are available at Brown Paper Tickets. We have a limited number of seats, so if you wish to be part of this event, get your tickets soon.

If you are a subscriber and cannot afford to attend financially but would like to show your support, please send me an email or leave a comment below. I would like to buy a ticket for one of you to join me.

I can’t wait to meet you!

P.S. My radio interview on Food Nation is posted. Listen as I spill all the details of my protest at the DNC.

Food Nation Radio: DNC Delegate Stands Up To Obama And USDA At Convention – Audio (September 18, 2012)

, , , ,

25 Responses to “Would You Like to Have Dinner With Me in NYC to Support Prop 37?”

1. Heather G.

I think what you’re doing is absolutely wonderful – and so necessary! I would love to join you! :)

2. Liz

If you come to Northern California, I would love to have dinner with you and show my support anyway possible! Thank you for spreading the word across the nation. I’m working on spreading it here in CA!

• carolyn elloumi (to Liz)

Maybe a virtual dinner for those if us in CA?

• June Poyourow (to carolyn elloumi)

Another California supporter – of your web-site, your work and your ideology. Come to Southern California and I would love to meet you. Know that, as a California citizen, I WILL be casting a vote FOR Prop 37. I listened to your interview with Ms, Dougherty with surprise – the lack if interest in this issue in our country continues to amaze me – thanks for all you do. You ARE making a difference!

• Becki (to June Poyourow)

You have another California supporter that is going to vote for Prop 37! I am spreading the word as well here in Cali.

3. Connie Curtis

I love that you are so passionate and are getting the word out. It takes all of us to get the word out. I am always telling people I know about the labeling law that is on the ballot in CA and why its important. I have made a difference for friends that didnt care about eating healthy but now feel great and what to keep feeling that way and get that it was the food and what is in that made them feel crappy. I am in full support of the bill and I know it will make a impact if it gets passed. I want to know where are the big players in organic like whole foods and applegate. Have you heard from anyone at these companies? I would love to meet you and be at this dinner. Healthy food, healthy planet and gives everyone a choice about what they eat. I do have a question? The winner has to get their transportation to new york or how would this work… thanks for being such a big stand for the labeling to happen and I am declaring it will.. connie

4. Amy Nelson

When I saw the title of this post, was hoping it would be something in Charlotte. I live in Knoxville, TN, but am from Charlotte and visit there often (am headed there this weekend actually). I’d LOVE to join you in NY, and think it would be awesome if you do something similar in Charlotte.

5. carolyn elloumi

I would love to have dinner with you if you ever come to CA. We are doing our best here to raise awareness; it is really sad how many people are
    just unaware and aren’t even conerned.

I can’t have dinner with you in new York, but am happy to donate $100 to the campaign!

Thank you!

6. Jan

I’m a Canadian watching and hoping for some changes, which usually start in the US…and then we follow suit. It takes people like you to make a difference and affect our future. Thanks for all you do.

7. Allison

Hi!
    I’m new to all this and live in northern NJ. I would like to be entered to go to this as your guest.
    Thank you.

8. Bridgette

Hi Food Babe, I would love to come and meet you! I live only about an north of the city and i work next to the train station so I could easily shoot down. The only problem is $100 is a little too rich for me. Between getting down there and and the dinner I could probably afford $30 for the dinner ticket

9. Sheryl Branyon

Thank you for all you are doing! Your passion and dedication are above and beyond.

10. Lauren

I agree with a previous commenter – in addition to this you should host a fundraiser in Charlotte as well. I’m quite confident you would get a great turnout and raise thousands…I know there is a segement of people around here who are passionate on this topic. If you ever do something like this, I would love to get involved and volunteer to help organize it.

11. susan winfree

Of course I would love to join you in nyc but would love to have something similar in Charlotte!

12. Laura

GO FOOD BABE! So glad to have you out there.

13. Alice

I’ve never been to GustOrganics but it’s on my way home from work! I would love to come to the dinner and learn more about GMOs, (and spread the word to my family/friends in CA!) but I can’t swing $100 right now. Please consider bringing me :o)

14. GRIT & GLAMOUR

A secret I rarely share: I’m a Charlotte-based blogger (!) who is also trying to raise awareness about Prop 37. My topic is usually fashion, but after some recent self-education, I’ve converted to organic food, serious label-reading, and am very concerned/passionate about GMO labeling. In an even stranger coincidence, we have the same name, though mine is spelled Vahni. Crazy, huh? I’m Greek but someone told me it means “voice” in Sanskrit, which is even freakier because I’m a professional Web writer (my full-time gig). Is that true of your name?

Take me with you to NY! Or maybe one day we can meet in our hometown. I promise you, I’m a completely normal, other than being very opinionated. On that note, I commend you for your message and efforts. If you ever need some volunteer help on the homefront, shoot me an email: gritandglamour @ gmail.com.

Keep fighting the good fight!

15. Janelle

Wish you had fundraiser here in CA…I would be in there like swimwear!!!

16. Joanna Hiller

Lord I love New York anyway, but the thought of this opportunity in my favorite city is almost swoonworthy ;) I just enrolled in the Institute for Integrated Nutrition, which is located in the city, to become a health coach. It is supposedly the biggest nutrition school in the nation (maybe world? I can’t remember). How cool would it be to get them on board with this- perfect place to really spread the word, get people to advocate and donate. Thousands of super eager sponges ready to spread the word about good nutrition that includes good, wholesome, organic, NON-GMO ingredients! Or, I can just attend the dinner :) Would love either or both! Keep up the awesome, tireless work you do- we’re all behind you 100%.

17. Holly

I am doing whatever I can to spread the word here in CA. Thank YOU for doing so much to pass such an important initiative.

18. Kristy Kelley

If I lived closer, I would definitely come. Ever think about having one in St. Louis, by chance? :) Thanks for helping to spread the word about the dangers of GMOs – you are making an impact!

– Kristy @ Wine Logic

19. Jamie

I wish I could attend, but I live in Illinois and won’t be able to travel that far. Thanks for all your hard work!

20. Cory Trusty at Aquarian Bath

I love what you did at the DNC. Good job!

21. DANETTE M. SHUE

please send me info on upcoming engagements. lets also think about the generations to come. schools are a great place to connect information. “LIVE FOR TODAY BUT PLAN FOR A THOUSAND YEARS”. I HOPE TO RECEIVE A REPLY. I have good ideas to progress this cause.