Do Your Favorite Snack Brands Contain GMOs?

Earlier this week on my Facebook page, I posted a disastrous list of America’s most popular snack brands – all of them containing Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs).

Top Snacks

Everyone was in uproar about their favorite brands – Nabisco, Frito Lay, Orville Redenbacher, and Kellogg’s heavy use of GMOs in their popular products and asked for alternatives.  I created this handy chart below that lists some of my favorite non-GMO snacks that are equivalent in taste and satisfaction to these popular snack brands. To be perfectly honest, I think the non-GMO snacks taste better knowing they aren’t poisoning me.

I usually don’t recommend many snack foods like these that often – I like to preach the gospel of whole real foods, however sometimes you just need to get your snack on and this is how you do it without consuming genetically modified ingredients and supporting companies that use GMOs who are trying to stop the effort to label GMOs and our right to know.

NewImage

Recommended Non-GMO Snack Brands:

One thing I love about the non-GMO snack brands, is that they do not contain MSG, an ingredient that keeps you going back for more and more and more. This is why some of the GMO snack brands like Doritos are so addictive and have become “popular” as a result.

Take back your food, get your friends and family involved and share these products with them!

Have a great week!

P.S. I’d love to know – What are some of your favorite non-GMO snacks?

353 Responses to “Do Your Favorite Snack Brands Contain GMOs?”

1. Rebecca

Can you find any real scientific evidence that prove GMO’s are NOT harmful?

• Levi (to Rebecca)

Are u serious? Watch fork over knives on Netflix.

• Rebecca (to Levi)

That was a response to someone else wanting scientific evidence that GMO’s were harmful. Plenty of evidence they are- read my response- is there any scientific evidence that they aren’t harmful- of course there isn’t- not any published anyway. The comments on this page seem to disappear often so no wonder you questioned my response. We need to keep our voices loud & educate the people GMO’s are bad news & do not belong in our food supply.

• Gerald (to Rebecca)

Hey Rebecca, get with the program, huh? You sound just like the tobacco industry of many decades ago, luring the public with all the “lack of evidence.” And when those chickens came home to roost, well, that proved what liars the tobacco industry is. There is not any INDEPENDANT, THIRD PARTY study that proves that GMO’s are NOT harmful because Monsanto threatens any independent testing labs to huge lawsuits, it cows them into silence, so that no independent study is done. We get BS from Monsanto, stating that oh yes, they are safe (and the fact that Monsanto is holding on to the billion dollar horse in that race,) yeah, I’ll give that drivel all the lack of belief it deserves. In Russia, where Monsanto was to told to go pound sand, the government is going to do its own study on GMO’s, and I expect that answers will be vastly different from Monsanto’s, and more believable.

• Rebecca (to Gerald)

To Gerald…Of course they aren’t safe & there is no scientific evidence proving they are not harmful. Monsanto cares about the billions they make- not anything else. That comment was in response to a comment that is no longer posted. I do love your effort to try & convince me. We need to keep spreading the truth, get the GMO’s labeled & get the glycophosphate & round-up out of our environment & food supply! I’m on your side!

• Gerald (to Rebecca)

Thanks Rebecca, I couldn’t figure out if that was for or against GMO, thanks for clearing that up. We need to fight the power, and drive Monsanto and all their unethical planet killer buddies into the ground. When Monsanto spends tens of millions of dollars to fight something as innocuous as just a GMO label, they show exactly how unsafe their planet destroying company is, and why we need to keep the fight going.

2. Lisa

I love you food babe, but I think this correction should be made:

Orville Redenbockers popcorn IS NOT GMO. It’s not organic and I’m sure there are better brands, but it should not be found on a GMO list, nor should any popcorn for that matter.

Here’s a quote from GrowingUpHerbal.com:

“At the Seeds of Doubt conference recently, Jeffery Smith, executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology and GMO expert, assured us that even though almost 90% of the corn grown and eaten in this country is GMO corn, popcorn comes from a different seed and has not been genetically modified.” [1]

Seeing as how Jeffery Smith, author of Genetic Roulette DVD and Seeds of Deception book, is a GMO expert… I feel comfortable believing this information which is a relief since I’m not a fan of GMO anything and like I said, my family loves popcorn.”

• Vibeke (to Lisa)

I would like to see this comment answered by the Food Babe.

• Heidi (to Lisa)

Popcorn comes from corn. End of story.

• Ken Roseboro (to Lisa)

Yes, there is no genetically modified popcorn. It is a different variety of corn than field corn, which is primarily GMO. It is also difficult for field corn to cross pollinate with popcorn, which minimizes the chance of GMO contamination.

• Brittney (to Ken Roseboro)

Perhaps its the seasonings, butter etc. that is used on the popcorn that contains GMOS…

• Brittney (to Ken Roseboro)

*That was a reply to all not just to Ken

• Lori (to Lisa)

I agree that popcorn is not GMO. What I do worry about is what the conventional farming practices of these big popcorn producers is. Are these kernels pesticide and herbicide free?

• Lisa (to Lori)

But it still shouldn’t be on a GMO list if it isn’t GMO. Also to Brittney, the list doesn’t specify ‘microwave’ or ‘kernel’ popcorn. If one or more of the other ingredients in the microwave popcorn is gmo, then Food Babe should specify that she is talking about Orville Redenbocker’s Microwave Popcorn. The only ingredient in the kernels is CORN.

• Lori (to Lori)

Lisa – I agree, it should not be on a list as a GMO.

3. Ryan

What do you think of the Lentil and Snap pea crisps by Calbee. I’ve been teaching my students that these are a great alternative to their Hot Cheetos. I hope I’m not wrong.

• Staci (to Ryan)

I contacted Calbee and the oil that they use for the Snap Peas are GMO. :/ my kids used to love them.

• Lisa (to Staci)

This is sad. I thought snap peas were a healthy snack. :0( what is wrong with these companies that they can’t use better ingredients? Is it really that much more costly?

4. Nick

How about those Simply Balanced organic blue chips from target? I’m obsessed.
    Ingredients: Organic blue corn, organic sunflower oil, organic flax seed, sea salt, lime.

5. Cara

http://www.ALOHA.com also has all NON-GMO health products – proteins, green juice, chocolate. Check it out and use code “nature” for 10% off your $70 order!

6. Suzan

Honest chips are delicious, non-GMO, and cooked in coconut oil. Sold at many Whole Foods and health food stores:

7. Misskate

I only have one truth to voice : ” if there is no harm in labeling gmo’s then why
    Put up the fight I label ???” It’s simple , if u have nothing to hide then labeling would not be an issue ! But since there is a darker truth regarding gmo’s and Their affects on human consumption as well as other mammals and fish etc …. They fight to label …. Money is their ONLY motive people , not out future , not our health ….. Keep spreading the truth people , do not be fooled or ” a pay off” our lives are worth it :)

8. Dawn

The chart at the top of this page where you cite the Top 10 brands MUST be cited, both by scientific procedure and by the usage rules laid out by the company from which this data originates (IRI or ACNielsen). You are in flagrant violation of these basic procedures.

9. Yoga Wholistics iNQ

Wai Lana chips (cassava)

10. Johannah

what about frito-lays natural cheese puffs? They contain organic corn it says. Curious about your thoughts on these.

11. Mari

What about the Utz brand? Their original and “Ripples” potato chips read clean with just potatoes, cottonseed oil and salt as the only ingredients. I know they’re not organic, but aside from that, is there anything wrong?

12. Tammy

Just last night I was offered orville redenbacher’s popcorn by con agra. My daughter pointed it out, says it is made with no GMO’s . I am pretty confused to see this. Is this a healthy alternative?

• Tiffanie (to Tammy)

There is NO GMO popcorn, period. Corn for popcorn is derived from a different seed. People need to realize how short the GE crop list is. Some crops have been developed but not introduced into the food chain due to various reasons. Here is a link to all GE crops that have been developed, all 27 of them. Some are not approved for use or have been discontinued. If you click on each one and go to the “Authorizations” tab, you can see if this product is approved for use in the US.

13. Chris

Mary’s Gone Crackers Original are on sale this week in Florida Publix stores as buy one get one free. Perfect time to stock up!

14. Carey (to )

Pure food, or “real food” would be; Organic, NON-GMO, NO Pesticides, NO HFCS, NO MSG, NO Preservatives, etc!!! That would be PURE food. Real organic food is far better than any Kosher branded food I’ve ever seen. There are tons of food products with the Kosher marks that are full of toxic crap. See how they have the masses fooled…And are you aware of the the ritual/process for Kosher meat? According to the Torah the throat is slit, the animal bleeds out (which takes 15 to 20 minutes) and the animal dies an agonizing slow death. Special…more pure…yea right….(interject sarcasm)

15. Cheryl (to Carey)

Don’t know where you got your info on kosher killing, but the throat is NOT slit – that would disqualify the animal immediately! A kosher beef kill, for example, is where a specially trained Rabbi uses a long, very sharp sword-looking knife. He quickly and expertly inserts it at the base of the neck and all the way into the heart in one motion and removes it just as quickly. Because the knife is razor sharp, there is minimal pain to the animal. Also, because the heart has been pierced, it only takes about two to five minutes for the animals to bleed out sufficiently to cause unconsciousness, followed by a painless death a few minutes later. People who are not familiar with the natural “death throes” of any animal believe that the sometimes violent jerking the body makes is in response to pain. Not true! It is the normal spasms (contractions) of the large muscles when they are being deprived of blood and oxygen. The brain is already dead; the animal is already dead; the muscles are just reacting – and will continue to spasm in lesser degrees until the body is completely cooled. I used to be half owner of a meat processing plant and helped in all phases – from the initial dispatch of the animal to wrapping and freezing the cuts of meat. And yes, I am a woman too! I still harvest and process my own game meat and fish.

16. Karin (to Brad)

I think that you need to do more research into GMOs. I don’t want to eat anything that has a built in pesticide because then I will be eating that pesticide I think that you are going to find that if you stay GMO you are going to run our of buyers for your corn.

17. shawn (to brad)

10-20% rule applies to everything in the world, 80% may not know about the issues. We are just scratching the surface of the harmful effects of GMO.
    Do you label bullies in schools or label non-bullies? Do you send bullies to principal’s office or non-bullies?

18. William (to Craig)

Agreed!

19. William (to shawn)

Tell me one harmful effect of any GMO crop on human safety that you can support with real scientific evidence? I challenge you to find one credible scientist to state that GMO food poses ANY safety risk.

20. Barbara Andrews (to William)

This should answer your question William.

21. Rhonda (to William)

you might be willing to take that risk some of us are not.

22. Rebecca (to William)

Safe or not safe, I want to know what is in my food. If it’s genetically modified then I want to know & as a consumer I have a right to know. If I don’t then I simply don’t purchase that product. Simple as that. If it’s safe then there should be no problem with labeling. You & your family eat your scientifically safe GMO’s. Mine will not.

23. Laney (to William)

William she forgot to paste the link…but if you click on her name this is what you find.

24. Laney (to Barbara Andrews)

Thank you Barbara!!

25. William (to Laney)

Barbara and Laney – 10 “studies”, many from dubious sources, whereas there are several thousand studies showing zero effect, plus the fact that animals and people have been eating GM foods for 20 years (billions of animals and trillions of meals) without one proven adverse effect. Yes, nothing in life is 100% certain, but as an experienced agricultural scientist, I can say that the benefits of GM technology outweigh the POTENTIAL (but very unlikely) effects 1,000-fold. In my opinion and that of 99% of agricultural and food scientists (note that computer scientists are more on the physics spectrum of science), GM foods pose no risk.

26. Anthony (to William)

William, you asked for one you were given 5. The benefits are there for the suppliers of the seed, if the effects are not completely known yet, what is your issue? I personally do NOT want to be the test subject for the effects of GMO in the food I eat. Label it and let me decide.

27. Jeanne Hollenbach (to Anthony)

Yes , please just label it. I will decide ! Again if gmo’s are so safe why are people so reluctant to put it on the label. It seems to me that if sooo good , it would be free advertising for companies. What are they so afraid of ? You would think they would be rushing to get it on all packaging. Think about tat for a minute !

28. William (to Russell)

Hi Russell. Not sure what point you are trying to make with that one. Bill Nye is on the fence on GMO’s – admits there are currently no issues but says he’s concerned re the future. The comments on the post pretty much take him apart.

Here is a list of 600+ publicly-funded studies supporting GM food safety. http://genera.biofortified.org/viewall.php

29. Sarah Griffith (to Cheryl)

I find it insane that you actually believe kosher slaughter isn’t cruel. Unbelievable.

30. Jill (to Cheryl)

Thanks for providing that clarification! There is just so much mis- information-especially about kosher meat. I know that animals are killed in the most humane way possible.

31. Evette (to Cheryl)

You keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

32. Cheryl (to Evette)

I don’t need help to sleep at night. I understand that in order to feed the masses, animals give their lives – that is specifically what they are raised for. I appreciate a tasty steak and I know where it comes from. Since I have witnessed countless animals go from hoof to table, it doesn’t bother me in the least because I know they were dispatched quickly and cleanly. It’s just a part of life.

33. Dawn (to Cheryl)

Agreed. The Bible states that we can eat both fruits/veggies AND animals. And, as my farmer husband says, “The West wasn’t won on salad!” Sure wish Vani would visit several working farms and ranches in this country.