Does Your Favorite Candy Have GMOs?

Before I knew anything about food and its effects on the body – I was a candy addict. To my family and friends, I was the queen of candy! I knew every brand, every flavor, and always had candy with me. And then, during my wellness journey years ago, when I discovered all my beloved candy had chemicals, trans fats, preservatives and petroleum based artificial colors added to it – I flipped. I immediately banned all major brands of candy and haven’t looked back.

Just look at the ingredients in Starbursts & Twizzler Twerpz and you’ll see what I mean.

I also found out these brands contain GMOs (genetically modified organisms) – something I hadn’t given much thought to until recently.

And then I thought about the upcoming holiday and how many people are going to be buying this junk and giving genetically modified candy to their friends, neighbors and families.

If you’ve already bought your Halloween candy and it’s one of these brands on the left of this chart below – you might want to start looking for your receipt.

I created this chart to help navigate better candy choices without the added chemicals, preservatives, trans fats, artificial colors and GMOs.  The brands on the right are amazing GMO free substitutes that are very similar tasting to the popular candy brands on the left.

Many of the better and GMO free candy options are available to purchase at local health food stores, on the internet and at even some mainstream stores like Target.

If we all take a stand and stop supporting companies that use these chemicals and GMOs in their products – eventually there will be a tipping point. A tipping point, where food manufacturers will willingly remove these ingredients from their products.

Tell all your friends, neighbors and family members you want a GMO free Halloween this year and share these ideas with them.

XOXO,

P.S. Don’t forget to read my full investigation on chocolate and my other favorite chocolate brands here.

P.P.S. If you’d like to keep your Halloween completely candy free and GMO free – Check out these adorable jack-o-latern faced tangerines a fan posted on my Facebook page and 100 Days of Real Food’s 20 ways to do Halloween without candy.

Unconstructionblog

166 Responses to “Does Your Favorite Candy Have GMOs?”

1. Stacey

Unreal #77 tastes just like, if not better than, Reese’s!

2. Jill

Food Babe,
    I just looked at the Unreal candy labels and they have soy lecithin in them. Yuck. I don’t want soy. Can you find me some chocolate – that isn’t just a bar – with no soy in it?

• Michelle (to Jill)

Jill-have you looked at Theo Chocolate? No soy, organic, Made in USA… plan to order some today.

• Jill (to Michelle)

Thanks! That chocolate looks great!

• Melissa S (to Michelle)

Theo is the best…and I too would like ZERO soy in my chocolate, or food for that matter! :)

• Susana (to Jill)

Equal Exchange has delicious chocolate candy bars, a variety of flavors. Also raw chocolate is aaaamazingly good. infowars.com and naturalnews.com have a fairly bi g sized bag for I think 12.95. Also this is from exqual exchange:
      Traditionally, conching has been an extended process of mixing the ingredients for long periods of time, often for days. It is now common for companies to use soy lecithin, an emulsifier, to help blend the ingredients, allowing them to drastically cut down on conching time and costs. We are proud to say that Equal Exchange does not use soy lecithin in any of our products. Instead, our bars are crafted using extended conching for a period of 24-72 hours depending on the bar. It is our belief that this method creates a superior chocolate that is both incredibly smooth and full of well balanced flavors.

3. Ian

Foooddude-go ahead and eat them. By all means if you are cool with being a test rat have at it. I have yet to see one reputable unbiased study that says GMO are safe. All I know is organic foods are safe and therefore wil eat them.

4. Tehchronotrigger

I LOVE the unreal candy!!!! it tastes soooooooo good. They have new wrappers and names now since they first came out. Check them out at getunreal.com. The candy’s Foodbabe has listed here are the gimme ones, nutty ones, loaded one, and double one.

5. alva

Too bad the organic food is way more expensive! If we all had money then of course we would buy that way. But not everyone can afford it.

• Amber (to alva)

I basically posted the exact same thing on Facebook. It CAN be expensive to eat more pure and not everyone in this country has the budget to do this. Plus, certain parts of the country may not supply a good chunk of the alternatives to mainstream candy.

Vani, I sometimes wonder if you’re not considering the fact that everyone’s budget is different. It’s really hard for low income familes to even try to eat organic, so that’s why they reach for the GMO products. Please consider giving us options for those who may not have a decent amount of funds to do this.

• thesingingchef (to Amber)

I think this is asking too much from the lady. Pointing out healthier food options is her ethos for the blog. She can’t help the fact that smaller suppliers must make a greater profit on each ind. item sold – that’s a fact of economics. But there is, of course, a cheaper option to mass-produced candy: make your own.

• Sara (to alva)

The money you don’t spend on buying safer food, you will be spending on medicine and doctors visits.

• goose (to alva)

Your Health is priceless! You cannot enjoy your life of you’re unhealthy. Know what’s more expensive, being treated for the sicknesses that these ingredients are precursors of.

6. Cowgirl

You can’t buy any food that hasn’t been genetically modified in some way. Unless you have old seed (heirloom) that your great grandparents produced and saved from before the 1940′s and 50′s, you can’t even grow food that hasn’t been genetically modified. Getting legislation passed isn’t going to change anything but the labeling; but it is going to be very very expensive and those food producers are going to pass that cost on to the consumer and the food will still be genetically modified. I was raised on a farm and my husband is in the grain industry. I don’t want genetically modified foods either, but to some degree, there is no escaping them. The best thing we can hope for right now is to get rid of pesticides. That will make the biggest change in the safety of our food. (and get rid of Monsanto)

7. crystal

well if the good stuff was not so dang costly more people would buy it !!!!!!

• Megan (to crystal)

The reason it’s expensive: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=596741260387017&set=a.238571969537283.58489.158659384195209&type=1&theater

• thesingingchef (to Megan)

Funny, but misleading. If I sell a million candy bars a day, I can easily make a profit even if it’s only 1/2 a penny on each unit. If I sell 1000 candy bars a day, that 1/2 cent profit is not going to keep me in business. The healthy stuff costs more because they sell fewer units per day. (This is why McDonald’s can sell you a burger for less than a buck, but the Mom – n- Pop store can’t).

• goose (to crystal)

It’s expensive because more people DON’T buy it. Consumers control the market. Organic food sales aye booming thus more companies going that route and offering options. Heck even blah Walmart is changing up what they stock to appease that market

8. Sima

Food Dude watch a movie called Bitter Seeds to see what GMOs do to farmers, families and communities. As for those who complain organic food is expensive so is healthcare.

9. Wubben

I love to trick or treat, so we do! Then I tell the kids if they can read the ingredients and tell me what plant it came from they can eat it. OOOPPPS!!!!!!!! So we break out the Yummy Earth and enjoy GREAT CANDY!!! I felt guilty the first time I disposed of the contaminated chemical garbage but now I look at as part of the price we pay to participate in a fun holiday. If you get past the chemicals maybe the idea of what might contain food being GMO will stop you from poisoning your little ones. So, I say play the game its fun
    NAME THAT FOOD GROUP………..OOOOOOPPPPPPS >>>>>

10. Judi

Do you know if Panda Licorice blueberry is GMO free? Specifically mentioned are raspberry and cherry–blueberry is pretty tasty!

11. Angela

Foodbabe, your argument is floored. Not saying the GMO fight isn’t a worthy cause but the amount of candy you were eating strongly points to you being a sugar addict and blaming your lacklustre health on gmo’s when you were eating your way into type 1 diabetes is like an alcoholic blaming hangovers on dodgy food.

12. KS Granny

FoodDude, in my opinion there is nothing inherently wrong with GMOs. If they want to combine the best properties of several varieties of tomatoes, I’m in favor.

However, there are two GMOs that are making the news.

Bt corn produces its own Bt (a naturally occurring soil bacterium, Bacillus thuringiensis). When ingested by caterpillars (including the corn borer), the bacterium causes inflammation of the gut, and very quickly the insect dies of septicaemia. It is supposed to be very species-specific, not even harming other types of insects. But no long-term studies have been done to confirm that it would not harm humans when ingested as a regular part of the diet. With our tendency to develop allergic reactions to things we’re exposed to a lot, I think it’s unreasonable for them to dump this, unidentified, into our food supply; if someone does get a bad reaction to it, they’ll never be able to trace it to the source.

Roundup Ready corn, soybeans, and other crops are engineered to be resistant to glyphosate (the active ingredient in Roundup weed killer). The genetic composition of these crops is not an issue (unlike Bt). The issue is how the crops are grown. Since they are resistant to glyphosate, a farmer can spray his entire field, supposedly killing the weeds without harming the crop. There are two problems with this concept, though:
    First, it means that the food you buy has been sprayed with a potent poison. Is it taken up into the plant? I don’t know. Is it toxic to humans? Supposedly no, but has it been adequately tested? The EPA does not conduct studies; it has no funding for it. So they have to accept the results of the manufacturers’ studies as gospel truth. History demonstrates the fallacy of that approach.
    Second, the Roundup-resistant gene has now spread from GMO crops to weeds, spreading like a virus. This means that the farmer has to use much more herbicide, more often, in order to keep down weeds. This is a real cash cow for Monsanto, which sells more and more Roundup every year, and soon will have to come out with another herbicide, so the cycle will start all over again. Meanwhile, unprecedented amounts of poisons are soaking into our soil and washing into our streams and lakes.

13. KS Granny

Cowgirl, GMO foods have only been on the market since 1994, according to Wikipedia. You are perhaps confusing genetic engineering with hybridization? They are emphatically not the same or equivalent.

14. Sherry

Thanks for your great advise. My treats this year have no GMO’s , HFCS and are organic. Feeling good about what we are handing out. Hoping that the parents of the kids will see better choices for their kids too!

15. Sarz

Seems like the misinformation trolls are at it big time on this page. That means you are doing something right Foodbabe!!! Hats off to you.

I am giving jars of play-doh and mini-slinkies for halloween. I was also the candy queen until about 2 yrs ago. It has been a combination of discovering how much garbage is in candy…(so many ingredients that you can’t pronounce), to me realizing that sugar in general is awful for you and basically attacks the immune system.

Keep up the great work Foodbabe!

16. GungHo (to food dude)

Dude of Food… Just come clean and admit that you are a paid slave by the powers of the GMO industry to try and manipulate and discredit the ” Truth Revealers” like the Food Babe. I think you should change your handle to “Doody Foody”. I can always spot a shill when they spout how knowledgable they are in a subject matter, and yet can only resort to bashing and name calling without bringing forth any of their supposed subject matter expertise. You’re Fired Dude!

17. Joshua

For those ignorant people going on about cults, conspiracies, and GMO vs Hybridization. Go take your negative approach about someones information, and sharing of knowledge somewhere else. If you choose not to adhere to the healthy choice, and beneficially governing information world wide, then so be it.

World wide, Europe especially being one of the biggest places that ban GMO. GMO = Genetically Modified Organism. This process is not “hybridized” plants, they genetically alter the DNA, mixing, and adding, in a labratory. Not in a field with multiple cross-bred plants, like some of these people here believe that is what GMO’s are. GMO is made in the lab.

Hybridization is a process of getting two species of plants to create a hybrid, mix bred species. This is done in fields, in an all natural environment. This is how you get “gluten” as well. Gluten is a process which came about from cross-breeding wheat for a very long time. Gluten is on it’s own a whole different sanction of issues, opposed to GMO. So don’t get your stuff wrong.

Do some home work, if you just get all your information from the News, don’t waste others time by repeating false misinformation. News is not a reliable source of information. If anyone believes that, clearly they may not have been educated long enough.

Those spouting negativity about others positive information, slandering it based on your own ignorance, you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

This article is awesome, and it actually helps hundreds if not thousands of families, to choose the right choice! You should NOT be endorsing GMO, and you should NOT be handing out GMO junk to your children, or others children!

Don’t be a negative cynical being, just because you don’t believe in something, doesn’t mean it’s not true. If you just follow along what everyone else believes you will never know the truth. Always do the research yourself. Take the time to listen to others, and always have an open mind. No matter the debate, or issue.

18. Christie T

Gung Ho took the words out of my mouth!!

19. YaRight

Oh please. I WOULD NEVER waste money on organic anything for a bunch of strangers that wouldn’appreciate it. Organic candy for trickortreaters!? Hah! The good stuff is for my kids. Other parents can worry about their own.

20. Drew Silver

You give that candy to kids in my neighborhood, and you can bet on your house getting egged later tonight.

21. LexD

Food Dude, you haven’t seen a report showing the bad effects of GMOs because the only reports issued are sponsored by Monsanto, and not one of theirs studies effects for more than 90 days.

I remember back in the 60s when the tobacco companies offered the same “scientific” assurances that there was nothing harmful about their products either. We need independently-funded, long term, proper-protocol studies to determine the effects (if any) of GMO foods. Until then, I will avoid them.

If they are so good for us, why are Monsanto and the “big” food industry spending millions of dollars to prevent labelling – labelling, not a ban, just letting people know what they’re consuming. Seems to me that if GMOs are the panacea for all our problems, they’d want people to know about it.

22. Skrotnik

Anyone who hands out tangerines for Halloween deserves to get their house egged… hopefully some GMO eggs.

Happy holidays, buzzkills!

23. Adalia

I want to try the tangerines pumpkins. Look so GOOD!!

24. Jenny

Unfortunately I can guarantee every last one of my favorite types of candy contain ingredients that are completely detrimental to my health >_<

25. Emily

I was finally able to make it to Target to get the Unreal candy and I love it! I am knew to all of this and I am trying to make healthier choices. But I notice on package it listed Soy Lecithin in it. Does that mean it contains GMO’s?I am just curious, this is all new and confusing.

• Shannon (to Emily)

They have it at Target? I had no idea! I’m definitely looking next time I go!

26. Emily

I was finally able to buy the Unreal candy and I love it. But I noticed in contains soy lecithin. Is that a GMO, does anyone know? I am new to all of this and it is still confusing.

• Free (to Emily)

Soy Lecitin, Citric Acid – GMO. Molasses can be GMO too. All Natural doesn’t mean GMO free.

27. FoodTeacher

Thank you, Food Babe! Keep up the great work! :)

The bio-tech shills and naysayers can gladly have my share of GMOs, and most politely, they can also KMA. I don’t need any studies to convince me; I am my own proof. I have had an increasing list of health problems for fifteen years.. autoimmune, gastrointestinal, thyroid, heart, brain fog, fertility, uterine, liver, arthritis, skin, and the list goes on. I’ve stumped many specialists as to why I had ANY of these problems, since I’ve been an otherwise thin, athletic, healthy individual (to see me, you wouldn’t think I had one health issue). I have always been conscious about what I put into and onto my body, so I was clueless as to what was triggering my body to malfunction in so many ways. I never smoked, nor did drugs, and I drink only on rare occasion. I went through a gamut of trial and error; nothing made a significant difference.

Then finally, after learning about hidden GMOs and eliminating them from my diet, my gut is finally healing and my symptoms continue to disappear. I am finally becoming my healthy self once again! During a routine checkup, my MD was very impressed and wanted to know exactly what I was doing, and—let’s just say– she took notes and has since been encouraged to work towards changing her own family’s diet. Furthermore, several of my family members and friends who have eliminated GMOs are also surprised and pleased by how their health is improving.

So, to each his own; I’m personally done with preaching to deaf ears. There is, after all, this wonderful thing called natural selection; survival of the fittest. Knowledge is power–always has been, always will be. Choose to use it or not. Those who would like to trust the government instead of educating themselves, good luck with that. Go ahead and play Russian roulette with your health and that of your children, and like Jane (from October post) said… be sure to sign up for Obamacare. Like the government, big pharma also loves you and wants to take care of you on your way out.

28. Deb

I just have to say that I get tired of the whole organic is better blah blah blah, I am a farmer and we do use chemicals, but nothing systemic. It is all washable and we use overhead sprinklers and run them within 4 hours of spraying. we only use to kill bugs and stop disease. If we did not do that it would cost way more and we would lose half our crop. How is that utilizing the land by wasting it. I think people just need to be smarter about sprays. My family has been doing it this way for 40 years and nobody has ever gotten sick or diseased. As far as the whole food thing goes. One day they say something is bad for you and 2 months later they will say it is good again. If people want to go organic fine, but good for them to have the extra money to do so, cause I sure don’t. Plus I know that the way we farm is just fine and hurts no one. Let people choose and don’t push your way

29. Michelle

Are all organic foods considered non-gmo?

30. Kellie

It seems that most of the candy has “natural flavors” as an ingredient. After seeing the video about these coming from beaver tush, I’m a little paranoid….thoughts? Should I be a little more lenient because it is candy? Thank you!

31. Vikram aka Food Hunk

What’s a jack-o-latern?

32. Mary Bissell

Yay, I love Endangered Species Bars. They’re like eating chocolate marshmallows. A little expensive for this chocoholic, though, at $2.25 or so at my health food store. I also like Dagoba’s xocolatl (not on the list, but as far as I know Dagoba bars are okay). It’s also a lot, but because it’s made with chili peppers and is quite spicy, a little goes a long way. My health store (BJ’s, for those in the High Desert) also has healthy lollipops for the surprisingly low price of 20 cents each. I don’t remember if they were organic, but the ingredients were good. They also have awesome faux peanut butter cups made with sunflower seeds.

33. Ha ha cult (to FoodDude)

So since there is no scientific report you will just take the Government for their word that the food is ok. Do you believe all of what the government tells you….. when has the government been right lately!!! Heheheeee Cult!!!!! Reality Dude!!

34. glitter (to FoodDude)

Well there, FoodDude, who thinks this is a Cult, why don’t you just do a little bit of research, and I will just start you with this:

How about you look and see what companies were behind the creation of Agent Orange, and if for some INSANE reason, you don’t KNOW about AGENT ORANGE and it’s affects, do a little bit of reading. Then, notice and disover that the company behind the creation of Agent Orange, Monsanto, is the company that is NOW behind that ever so trustworthy Government approved GMO food that you eat and are feeding your kids. Do some more reading, and see how much (providing you can find out TRULY how much) power that Monsanto, this company that the Government has given it’s blessing for Agent Orange AND to create GMO foods for us has in our very own government. See how many offices in the government Monsanto runs and how many laws this company can possibly bend or maybe pay to have bent for them. Maybe find out who they have in their pockets (hint, a lot of politicians, from the bottom to very very high up!).

I’m not saying it’s a conspiracy theory even though I guess I just made it sound like that, I’m just saying that the company who created a dangerous chemical like Agent Orange sure as hell is not going to be the ones feeding my children if I can do anything to avoid it! And if there are any politicians in their pockets that are voting in THEIR best interest instead of mine, then I will vote against them, if I find out who they are! It’s that simple, just like any corporation. Just do your research. duh.

glitter

35. Rachel W. (to FoodDude)

FoodDude, perhaps you should look at the studies the EU looked at when they decided to ban GMO ingredients. It’s also been shown, over and over again, to have extremely negative effects on rats and mice. While I don’t support animal testing, I do believe that since we have the tests, we should put them to good use and ban GMOs. At the very least, they need to be labeled so people can make informed choices. Whether you choose to eat GMOs or not is your choice, but for those of us who don’t want to be the test subjects for these things, we’d like to know what we’re eating. That’s why Food Babe is such a great resource.

36. Laughin' Attem (to FoodDude)

Thank You FoodDude for having the courage to point out that the Emperor’s Cult of the non-gmo’s is wearing no clothes. Like naked little nut-jobs, they wander the streets, crying out that the sky is falling…. the sky is falling… the sky is falling.

37. Jane (to FoodDude)

FoodDude,

I fear my words are falling on the deaf ears of a bio-tech shill.

I have proof with my own improved health what dumping the chemical laden, genetically modified slop that makes up the Standard American Diet (SAD) can do. I dropped the SAD in March. Since then I’ve lost weight, haven’t had a migraine headaches and my knees have stopped aching. I don’t need a scientific study to tell me it’s the nutritious, organic food I’m eating that’s doing the trick.

Eat what you want pal – just make sure you sign up for Obamacare so you can get your insulin, statin drugs and anti-depressants……

38. JMC (to FoodDude)

We do NOT NEED a study to tell us that a plant that creates its own insecticide is not “okay” we have the ability to judge, reason, and think!

39. Krysta (to FoodDude)

Oh you must mean the people who want healthy, safe, and nutritious food cult. I take it you have a vested interest in GMO’s in some way, food dude

40. Honour (to FoodDude)

Trust the government and what they tell you….hmmmm. Just taught my nephew about the smallpox blankets and radiation experiments and our government.

41. Cecelia Jernegan (to FoodDude)

If you want do some research. You will see rats with huge tumors. Cancer, Diabetes, Autoimmune diseases, Farah Fawcett, Steve Jobs, Patrick Swayze just to name a few baby boomers that have died early. Our kids are sick. The baby boomer generation is dying at alarming rates. Oh, back in the 1940′s the government said nicotine was okay too. Keep your head in the sand. Good luck to you and God bless.

42. Justin (to FoodDude)

Think about this. Deer love corn. I mean LOVE it. If you put out 2 ears of corn, one GMO and one Non-GMO, they will devour the non-GMO corn and will hardly touch the GMO corn. Even deer know that it is poison.

43. Tyler Stiles (to FoodDude)

Oh really you haven’t eh? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a6OxbpLwEjQ. What that movie I bet it will scare you.

44. Gabby (to FoodDude)

Do some research, gmo’s are known to cause cancer and other side effects. If they weren’t as bad as the government claims, why won’t they label them like people have been requesting? The company Monsanto also has protection against any law suits. It’s also so ironic that, the white house and the Monsanto serve nothing but organic food in their cafeterias.

45. Diana (to FoodDude)

Research has been conducted with mice. Within a few weeks after being given corn with GMO’s they developed grossly deforming tumorshttp://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/gmo-safety-zmgz13amzsto.aspx#axzz2wo8rjqKk all over their bodies.

46. Debbie (to FoodDude)

I have been working in a clinical laboratory for over 7 years. The upswing in celiac testing/diagnosis and food allergies is enough proof for me. I’d also like to add wheat started being genetically modified way back in the 60s. Just because something does not kill you, does not mean it isn’t bad for you. It is causing other illnesses and these combined have made us a much unhealthier, sicker society. It is a cumulative effect.

47. Jode (to FoodDude)

Would you spray Round Up (glypgosate) weed killer in your mouth every day or give it to your kids? The governments in Europe, Japan and Aus. have banned GMO foods! Check it out.

48. Grace Slow (to FoodDude)

If you haven’t seen any studies linking GMOs to health concerns, you’re not looking very hard. There have been numerous studies published in scientific journals that link GMOs to tumors, infertility, and other health problems. Anyone with doubts should not take my word for it. Just google “GMO rat tumor” or “GMO pig uterus” to find info on some of the most worrisome animal studies. And consider the fact that there has NEVER been a long term study of GMOs on humans. So we really don’t know what the effects are, but these animal studies are showing cause for concern.

49. Steve Packard (to glitter)

I for one, believe the science and the basic facts, regardless of what the government says. It is just as stupid to presume the government is always saying something false as that it is always true.

If the government says it is 70 degrees out, it feels like 70 degrees and a thermometer says it is 70 degrees, it’s probably 70 degrees.

Considering that I am pretty well versed in science, I am capable of comprehending the basic facts and they all would indicate there’s absolutely no reason to think GMO’s are unsafe.

All plants are actually GMO’s… it’s called mutation and selective breeding.

But non-gmo’s are made of what? Water, salt, cellulose, simple carbohydrates, some proteins. What are GMO’s made of? same damn stuff.

50. Marie (to glitter)

Steve Packard….
    I don’t think you understand what GMOs are, maybe a little more erase arch and you can see that a natural hybrid that occurs is not a GMO.

“Genetic engineering, also called genetic modification, is the direct manipulation of an organism’s genome using biotechnology. New DNA may be inserted in the host genome by first isolating and copying the genetic material of interest using molecular cloning methods to generate a DNA sequence, or by synthesizing the DNA, and then inserting this construct into the host organism.”

I don’t know about you but I certainly do not believe Corn that is resistant to herbicides, not properly tested and known as “Round Up Ready” is any good to consume by my standards.

I grew up eating homemade food. We didn’t have money to go to restaurants but my parents always said it was better to know what you eat. They did not know about organic or GMOs, it’s just what they also grew up with my dad was born in the 1933 and my mom in 1945 both raised in farms when young moved to LA in the early 80′s.
    At the Time I did not understand what they meant and as I grew older I strayed from that objective. Took me seven years to retrain myself read, research and understand food better for my four boys, I’m 29 now and I feel better my skin is better and I don’t feel groggy all the time. That to me is worth it!

This coming from a girl that matured too early I use to drink milk as a little as it was going out of style… Full of hormones I’m sure. I knew I was early at 10 years old to hit puberty! My mom and my sister (who is 11 years my senior) both matured at 15. My mom drank milk from cows raised in her parents farm not liaised with antibiotics and hormones and my sister, well after breast feeding didn’t drink milk not something she liked. When I was doing my research I looked back at my own family background … I’m sorry but that right there is proof enough for me.

You don’t have to agree but before you make claims that it’s the ” same damn stuff ” I strongly suggest more reading on the subject if not for you then for children or grand children

Sorry this is so long …

51. Neurotic Knight (@Neurotic_Knight) (to glitter)

Volkswagen built tanks for nazis, what is your point?

52. April (to Laughin' Attem)

the idea is not a new one and there is verifiable scientific research to back up that GMO’s are not good for you.

But you do have a point, there has been not a lot of studies to test GMO’s and why is that I wonder. Well, one real reason is that there are restrictive end-user agreements that limit what can be done with GM seeds. The patent owners do not wish their GMO seeds to be used in such studies as will verify whether they are truly safe or not. It is kind of hard to do studies when you could actually go to jail for it, or be taken to court, regardless of what your findings are, but I wonder, if GMO seeds are so safe, why are there these restrictions? If something were safe, and it could be proven, wouldn’t the people that hold the patents welcome tests being done by others to prove just that and yet, the restrictions are not those crazy peoples idea, they are the patent holders. Hmmm?

Another tactic of the GMO patent holders in manipulation of data that can be found on the net and in the media at hand. You don’t want people to discover what is in their food, so you fight against labelling the food, in whatever form it is. If GMO’s were safe, why fight labelling them? Why go out of your way and hire people to spread misinformation about the food, like telling the public that there have been GMO’s forever, when there have not been. There is a difference in blending species, which has indeed been around forever and genetically changing the very dna of a plant. And here is why, when you combine zucchini and brocolli to make a new plant, your not adding genetic code, your combining items that have been around and have been found to be safe for long term food supply of people for a very long time. The new code entered into Corn to make something totally new and alien to not only the population as a whole but to the natural world is incredibly short sighted and dangerous. There is a very good reason countries do not allow you to bring in food items from other countries and why your not allowed to just bring into a new environment plants from your country, it could devastate the delicate eco system of the country you would bring such food into and ruin it.

What is a more delicate balance than the eco system we people live in, albeit somewhat removed. When new organisms are brought into this balance, the consequences could prove to be disastrous and species of plants and animals could disappear completely, being overwhelmed by the new addition to that ecosystem. It has already happened in the past, and GMO’s, especially corn have been shown to take over fields of corn where they have just blown in and have ruined generations of hard work by the farmers whose crops they bonded with, this is not new, this has been demonstrated time and time again. In fact, those patent holders have actually sued these same farmers for inadvertently breaking their patent by growing their corn.

I do not know why you fools have bothered to demonstrate your incredible ignorance, I can only assume you work for the GMO company’s and are here trolling to make some lame proposition that will confuse the average food consumer. That is another tactic of the GMO people, to troll and spread misinformation about their product.

If GMO’s were safe, they would not fight labelling them.
    If GMO’s were safe, they would not spread the misinformation that GMO’s are just another way to breed new food, which has been around forever. GMO’s are not like that, they change the genetic make up of food, adding animal DNA to food when that DNA seems to make sense, the problem here is that there is no long term study on the nature of the new species and how they will interact with their new environment outside the laboratory. As we have seen with GMO corn, it just takes over. Consider the many generations of farmers whose seed has been destroyed by GMO corn, and that should be enough there.
    If GMO’s were safe the companies behind them wouldn’t have had to sneak the Monsanto Protection Act out, they wouldn’t need to hide the label, they would be the first to do and to pay for independent studies on the safety of such items.

I could go on but that is enough for now.
    People are not nuts when they are concerned for the health and safety of their children, for all the children for that matter. I take it you don’t have children, or if you do, I can only feel a great sorrow for the fact that you are not more concerned about what goes into their bodies.

Now either make a valid point, or get the hell out of the way of the people that are trying to do some good for every bodies kid.

53. Nancy Colistro (to Jane)

I went off the SAD January 5th of this year (2014). In 2 1/2 months, I have lost 25lbs (without dieting!), my blood sugar is under control (i am a diabetic) and I have more energy and strength than I can remember having in years…literally. I am ALSO a two time cancer survivor (colon and cervical), which sorta goes to show you what the SAD did for me after 47 years of consuming it regularly. Nowadays, I pretty much only drink water..tho i used to swig soda as though it was going out of style…..and I limit my added sugar to two TBSP a day, raw organic. Say what you want about all the additives and preservatives that are in the SAD being okay to eat….and that we should trust our gvmt when it comes to food safety. Trusting the gvmt for 47 years almost killed me…twice. From now on out, I choose to trust my own brain and instincts when it comes to the food i consume.

54. Infowars.com (to Ha ha cult)

To FoodDude;
    You are absolutely correct! There is no reason that YOU should not eat more GMO’s. Prove us all wrong and keep eating it. Have a nice, short, life. Moron!