Throw This Out Of Your Bathroom Cabinet Immediately

When I made the switch to organic living years ago, my (mostly toxic) personal care products were the last thing to go. Once I figured out what toxic industrial chemicals in food were doing to my body – I knew I had to get rid of them from every part of my life. I think this progression is how most people figure out how to detox their life too. First I cleaned out my fridge and pantry, then it was figuring out a natural way to clean my house, and then I went on to look at what I was putting on my body. The very first personal care product I switched out was what I rubbed under my underarms every day – right where some of my lymph nodes are, glands that plays a huge roll in the immune system.

pitpaste

The reason I started there was because as soon as I flipped my “Secret” anti-perspirant over to read the ingredients I noticed it had contained “Aluminum zirconium.” Right then, a memory I had when I was a child smacked me in the face. There was this neighbor of mine growing up who always had sweaty armpits. I mean her pits were so wet, that you could see it through her clothes ALL THE TIME. I didn’t quite understand why she had such sweaty armpits and others I knew did not. Because I was young and crazy inquisitive, while playing in the yard one day, I just straight up asked her- why do you sweat so much? She told me that she didn’t like using aluminum under her armpits. This information at the time totally didn’t make sense to me. I didn’t know what aluminum was or why I should care but I realized right then, she wasn’t wearing the anti-perspirants my brother or my parents were wearing for an obviously good reason. A good enough reason that she wasn’t concerned about the public embarrassment of sweaty pits.

Well, after my memory flashback, I researched the ingredient Aluminum, and found out it is linked to all sorts of diseases, including 2 that I sadly personally have witnessed in close friends and family members – Breast Cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease. The link of aluminum to these diseases is hotly debated, some studies find a low risk factor (probably those funded by the chemical companies) and some find horrible results, like those studies that find aluminum accumulating in breast tissue or breaking the blood brain barrier leading to Alzheimer’s.

The reason chemical companies put aluminum in anti-perspirants is to “dry out sweat by injecting aluminum ions in the cells that line the sweat ducts. When the aluminum ions are drawn into the cells, water flows in; the cells begin to swell, squeezing the ducts closed so sweat cannot get out,” according to the Julie Gabriel, The Green Beauty Guide. I don’t know about you but this reaction is really unnatural. Preventing sweat from exiting my body doesn’t seem like a good idea, considering humans sweat for a reason. Sweating actually has a lot of benefits – clearer skin, lowers body temperature and fights off sickness – so why would I want to prevent my body doing what it needs to do to stay healthy?

Just to give you a sense of how much aluminum is used in typical products – the FDA requires that all anti-perspirants decrease the average person’s sweat by 20 percent – so manufacturers usually use anywhere between a 10-25 percent concentration of aluminum in products. That is just crazy, isn’t it? Especially for an ingredient that is a potent neurotoxin.

So this is the ingredient that caused me to make the switch and should hopefully get you too (if you already haven’t) to run out and buy deodorant without Aluminum. (FYI – Some of the most toxic brands according to the Environmental Working Group include English Leather, Mitchum, Suave, Secret, Gillette, Right Guard, Soft & Dry, Tussy)

Let’s be honest though, knowing which personal care products to choose without toxins is tough and getting access can be even tougher. You can’t exactly just pop into an everyday drug store and always find a safe brand without aluminum and other harmful chemicals.

Here’s my opinion on deodorants I’ve personally tried -

1. Vermont Soap Organics ($13) - This “sage lime” scented stuff is awesome. One of my personal favorites and the scent is neutral enough for all genders.

2. Naturally Fresh ($6) - This one works the best to keep me actually dry out of all the ones I tried, and other family members agree!

3. Primal Pit Paste  ($11) - It works great for some people like my husband, but didn’t work for me because it made my underarms red – which wasn’t pretty! Many people love it, but it’s hit or miss.

4. Nourish ($5- $8) – They have the best scents, but you need to re-apply! The Almond Vanilla and Lavender Mint smell so good!

Hope this post was help for you – please share with your friends and family, so they can know the truth!

Xo,

Vani

P.S. Here are some posts for more information about which chemicals to avoid in beauty products, how to find safe ones and some swap out products that I use…

, , ,

2,827 Responses to “Throw This Out Of Your Bathroom Cabinet Immediately”

1. Patricia Stuart

I went onto the Environmental Work Group’s website and typed in ‘Deodorants’ and they give no info at all about any deodorants. Where did you get this info?

2. Mike

Arm and Hammer makes a really nice smelling natural deodorant

• Gina (to Mike)

HI..i use the same one for years…It has a great scent and it the baking soda

3. Patricia Stuart

This is simply for our information and consideration on the subject.

• Landee (to Patricia Stuart)

I don’t trust snopes. The large corporations who own and sell and push these products on the public, have tons of money to keep you uninformed. Aluminum should not be absorbed through the skin, which is the largest organ on your body. Common sense tells me this. I don’t need snopes to validate anythjng. There are many “studies” done by food companies, big pHARMa, and other corps, that “prove” their products are safe! The American public has been duped on many levels, all in the name of making a buck or two!

4. Sheryl

Did you know that a company can claim their product is “natural” if it only has one natural ingredient? I found an excellent company that guarantees their products are ALL (completely) natural (and mostly organic) products. I love their products and the prices are very reasonable. It’s called Radiantly You. Check the sight out at http://www.radiantlyyou.com/SherylBarecky

5. K Jestice

I have been making my own deodorant for a few years now using baking soda, corn starch, coconut oil, and essential oils. I had to play with the proportions but works for me.

6. Chloe

you realize the ‘alum’ found in your crystal deodorant (naturally fresh, your favorite) is aluminum. If you think you’re body isn’t absorbing any aluminum using that you’re sorely mistaken.

7. matt

No mention for Tom’s product line? Seems like a big over site seeing as how its the only deorderant in every Walgreen’s . Kinda missed it huh?

• Lisa (to matt)

Tom’s has aluminium

• Jill (to Lisa)

So does the recommended “Naturally Fresh” according to the link provided to their product listing on Amazon.

• Jill (to Lisa)

Actually, just checked my Tom’s deodorant and it does not have aluminum. However, Tom’s anti-perspirant does contain aluminum according to their website.

• Christina (to matt)

I was waiting….. reading and finally someone mentioned TOMS. I was thinkin the same thing Matt….lol

• Efi (to matt)

Tom’s has a deodorant that doesn’t contain alum. with a lavender scent. I tried it for the first time this week and it doesn’t really work for me. If you apply it more than once it gets sticky and actually makes you perspire. It’s hard to find one that works.

8. Lindsay

I make an awesome all natural deodorant that is very effective at reducing perspiration while not completely blocking it :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/thefreshfactorydeo

9. Ruth

I have made my deoderant for years and it works great. Stir equal amounts (I use 1 tablespoon each) of melted coconut oil, baking soda, and corn starch. Put in a small jar and rub a dab in. It melts on skin contact. Try it!

10. Kristin

I love kiss my face the active sport kind. It works as good as secret sans poison!

11. Tacey

I would be happy to switch to a natural deodorant, to tell you the truth I have never found a single antiperspirant that actually worked, even prescription strength. :( I sweat through my clothes always, wearing 10 layers of deodorant in a t-shirt on the coldest day, it’s embarrassing and limits my clothing options. One thing that helps sometimes are arm-pit guards, they stick to the inside of your sleeves. It gets pricey buying them often but it’s worth it for me. Seems like they can’t be too harmful either.

12. leah

I have tried switching but seem to be allergic to something in all the natural deodorants. I’ve tried 7 different brands, multiple kinds from various healthfood stores with the same result. Itchy, red burning reaction. I’ve tried making my own too but that was a disaster and ended up all over my clothes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

13. j schuster

Bella organics deodorant is also effective and not sticky:

14. Jane Dalea-Kahn

Arbonne makes a fantastic deodorant called MINT without any harmful chemicals. And it works great!

15. Hoblin Marcy Bellamy

Non-toxic personal care and household products:

16. Diane Poland

I gave up antiperspirants entirely about 5 years ago, after a second bout with breast cancer. Before that it was a sometimes thing for about another 5 years. I have found that when well hydrated there is very little smell to your sweat…..(others concur), and that the less I wore these products the less they were needed. I spend time in a hot place, and have learned that being drenched with sweat is sometimes normal, and really nothing to fear. Drink lots and let your body adjust and do it’s thing. You get used to it, and when you sweat all over, what is the problem with blocking specific glands under your arms…..we worry too much about normal functions.

17. Shelby

I’ve used just plain coconut oil before and that works well for me. Would it work for my husband? I don’t know, but it’s something we always keep in the house anyway, so it’s worth a try.

• Erin (to Shelby)

That’s what I’ve been using for several months & it works better than anything I’ve ever tried. I have no interest in going back to deodorants considering how well plain coconut oil works.

18. Rubie

Thought you and your readers would appreciate this letter from Loreal to an HBS student and her perfect reply:

19. Julie

What about lavanila deodorant!! It’s suppose to be the “healthy deodorant”.

20. Julie

I switched to “Kiss My Face” and it works well for me. Also use their soaps.

21. nan

A couple of drops of live-culture apple cider vinegar each morning, reapplied if you do something sweaty. Not an antiperspirant, but a very effective deodorant. It doesn’t smell like vinegar, either (doesn’t smell at all after a few minutes).

This is the living approach; provide bacteria who can eat up the sebum etc. you sweat out, without turning it into something with an objectionable smell.

NB: You do need some hair under there to hold it in place – bacteria need surface area to live on.

22. Sarah

Try Ava Anderson non toxic- truly safe and actually works to keep you from being stinky- not antiperspirant, we sweat for a reason. But never feel yucky.

23. steve

I use a Crystal roll on without any other additives.
    Alum is not aluminum

24. Kelsey

Have you tried the baking soda free deodorant (it’s called Happy Pits) from Primal Pit Paste? It’s probably the baking soda you’re having a reaction to. Greenbody also has AMAZING deodorant, and they offer a baking soda-free version as well.

25. paul

just use old spice pure sport no alum in it all i use

26. Michelle Middleton

I am looking for a natural deodorant/antiperspirant. I wouldn’t want to use a product with aluminum or alum in it.

27. Rich

I can upon this solution a few months ago and I will never go back to commercial products. I started making my own colodial silver and now I splash a little on after my shower and after a few minutes I follow with magnesium oil and I’m good for 24 to 36 hours without a hint of odor. The Magnesium is also very good for us.

28. Gary

The aluminum compounds in anti-perspirents react with the sweat and block your sweat pores. No aluminum is absorbed!
    However, I hope that you guys that are using these “safe and organic” products are 100% sure that there’s nothing in them that could actually be absorbed by the skin and be very detrimental. Natural does not equal safe. Trust science. There’s no evidence that aluminum on the skin causes Alzheimer’s or cancer. Stop worrying about this….worry about exercise, vegetables, sugar and refined carbs, etc…you know, the stuff that’ll actually have an impact on your health!!

29. coop (to coop)

And if you think I’m being silly, ask yourself how many things you would be willing to spend $104.00 per pound on at your local grocer.

30. bizgirl (to coop)

Hi coop,

I completely agree – I don’t know what the author would think of this but my parents’ way around the expense when I was growing up was simply to read labels and only buy us deodorant not antiperspirant products. I grew up on Old Spice deodorant (yeah it’s for guys – standard red label) but it works for girls as well and doesn’t contain aluminum as far as I can read. It’s still my go to – $3.97 for a 2 pack at Walmart and comes in fresh, original and pure sport scents.

Hope that helps!

31. Liz (to R.w.Foster)

Well this puts things in perspective.

32. amber (to bizgirl)

bizgirl as far as I can read on the old spice website their deodorant does contain aluminum (17% to be exact) http://oldspice.com/en-US/products/product/20/old-spice-high-endurance-antiperspirantdeodorant-invisible-solid-fresh/

33. bizgirl (to amber)

You’re not looking at the ingredients for a deodorant you referenced Old Spice’s combination antiperspirant AND deodorant – Old Spice’s DEODORANT is aluminum free and what I use.

Ingredients and links below:

Pure Sport High Endurance Deodorant

Ingredients
    Dipropylene Glycol , Water , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Stearate , Fragrance , PPG-3 Myristyl Ether , Tetrasodium EDTA , Violet 2 , Green 6

Almost all antiperspirants contain aluminum but the deodorants typically don’t.

34. Amber (to bizgirl)

It may not contain aluminum, BUT it does contain other ingredients you SHOULD avoid.
    Know Your Backside!

Read your labels and avoid the following chemicals:

FRAGRANCE can be legally hidden in hundreds of ingredients in “fragrance” or “parfum”: a “trade secret” in the industry. More than 75% of the time if you have fragrance, you have legally hidden phthalates (THAL ates), known endocrine disruptors, that are linked with birth defects, breast cancer, infertility, liver, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and now with autism and ADHD in pregnancy by Dr. Philip Landrigan, Mt Sinai, Children’s Environmental Health Center.
    PARABENS: Preservatives linked to breast cancer, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity, and developmental defects. California Study (10/11) of BPA and methylparaben combination turned healthy cells into cancer cells, and rendered tamoxifin ineffective.
    TRICLOSAN: is the active ingredient in “anti-bacterial” products, is registered with the government as a pesticide, and is a known endocrine disruptor. Triclosan is believed to disrupt thyroid function and contribute to liver and inhalation toxicity.
    OXYBENZONE and OCTINOXATE: (and other chemical sunscreen “active ingredients”) are UV ray filters that are also known endocrine disruptors.
    PETROLATUM & TETROLEUM INGREDIENTS: endocrine disruptors and carcinogens.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL SIX OF THE ABOVE ARE “ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS” and are in many products that you use daily – and some will have multiples! They are important to avoid, because the endocrine system regulates ALL biological processes in the body: development of the brain and nervous system, growth and function of the reproduction system, metabolism and blood sugar levels, ovaries, testes, pituitary, thyroid and the adrenal glands. (Natural News)

The World Health Organization and the UN recently released a report that called endocrine disruptors a “Global Threat.” Small amounts matter, especially to the developing fetus.

PEG’s (polyethylene glycol) are petroleum byproducts. During manufacturing process carcinogenic contamination is created: 1,4 dioxane, which is a known human carcinogen, with liver and kidney effects.
    SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are considered carcinogens. SLES is something contaminated with 1,4 dioxane. You will never see 1,4 dioxane on a label, as companies are not required to list carcinogenic contaminants.
    INGREDIENT THAT ENDS IN “-eth”: like ceteareth, triceteareth, etc. Also carry the contamination concern for 1,4 dioxane.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: all THREE of the above ingredients carry carcinogenic contaminant concerns created during manufacturing of 1,4 dioxane. The government allows 10 ppm (parts per million) in any one products, but no one is testing. 1,4 dioxane can be stripped for pennies, and must be done for any product exported to EU.

RETINYL PALMITATE: in the presence of sunlight enhances skin cancer lesions by 21% (FDA, 2011 Report). It is in many sunscreens and moisturizers.
    NANOPARTICLES: can cross the cell barrier and drive into organs, including the brain in humans. There is no way of knowing particle size, unless stated on the label. EU manufacturers must list any nanoparticles.
    ALUMINUM and metals: these are bio-accumulative, meaning they store in your fat cells and accumulate, and are very hard to get rid of, in many deodorants.
    DIETHANOLOMINE (DEA) and COCAMIDE DEA, LAURAMIDE DEA: DEA reacts with other ingredients to become the extremely carcinogenic nitrosodiethanolamine. Beware of other ethanolamines like triethanolamine (TEA) and monoethamolamine (MEA).
    FORMALDEHYDE RELEASERS – DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, DMDM HYDANTOIN, QUATERNIUM: found in most personal care products. Formalydehyde can cause allergic reaction, dermatitis, join pains and headaches, cancer and immune dysfunction.
    SYNTHETIC COLOR/DYES: made from coal tar, which is a mixture of many chemicals, derived from petroleum. These colors may be contaminated with low levels of heavy metals and some are combined with aluminum substrate. Aluminum compounds and many heavy metals are toxic to the brain. ie. FD&C Blue 1, Green 3, Yellow 5 & 6, Red 33.
    GLYCOL (propylene, butylenes, etc): synthetic petrochemical mix known to cause allergic and toxic reactions. Has been linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive issues, neurotoxicity and endocrine disruption.
    MINERAL OIL: a petroleum ingredient that coats the skin like plastic wrap, disrupting the natural immune barrier, inhibitin its ability to breathe and absorb natural moisture and nutrition, and its ability to release toxins, which can promote acne and other disorders. The process slows down skin function and normal cell development causing premature aging.
    TALC: in the same family as asbestos, talc is dangerous to inhale and has been linked to ovarian cancer.
    SILOXANES: cyclomethicone and ingredients ending in “siloxane” (e.g., cyclopentasiloxane) are toxic, persistent, and have the potential to bioaccumulate. The EU classifies some as endocrine disruptors and possible reproductive toxicant that may impair fertility. Research shows some to cause uterine tumors and harm to the reproductive and immune systems. Some siloxanes can also influence neurotransmitters in the nervous system. Cyclomethicone is a mixture of three siloxanes.

35. Lenny Corso (to Amber)

I have been using Kiss My Face for years…..the only deodorant that doesn’t irritate my skin.

Also, I use Thieves toothpaste. As far as I can see, it doesn’t contain anything gnarly. Tom’s on the other hand has carrageenan as a listed ingredient.

Oh, different subject, check sushi ingredients. YUMMY contains aspartame. What the hell!