Don’t Poison Santa! {Make This Healthy Sugar Cookie Recipe Instead}

I posted this photo below on facebook the other day and it caused quite a stir!

Don't Poison Santa

Don’t poison santa (and yourself) with these cookie brands with terrible ingredients… whether you choose Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Nestle or store brands like Great Value – you can almost be guaranteed they have GMOs linked to infertility, allergies, and cancer, trans fats that cause 8,000 deaths per year and 20,000 heart attacks, aluminum linked to Alzheimer’s disease, and/or very controversial artificial ingredients made from petroleum that are contaminated with carcinogens.

Sugar Cookie Roundup

Luckily you don’t need to buy these ingredients or brands to have fun this season. This healthy sugar cookie recipe below will get you through the holidays! You can roll out the dough and make shapes or just simple round cookies, it’s totally up to you.

If you decide to decorate your cookies be sure to choose ingredients that do not contain artificial food dyes linked to hyperactivity, allergies and asthma. Dyes from India Tree work great to color cookies and icing. You can get it at natural food stores (like Whole Foods) and on amazon here.

These cookies come out crisp and a bit chewy inside – the perfect consistency! I use almond flour because it’s naturally a bit sweeter than whole wheat flour and tastes amazing! The last batch I made went quick. So you might want to double your batter if you’ve got a lot of mouths to feed.

SugarCookies

4.4 from 15 reviews
Healthy Sugar Cookies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 12
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix all wet ingredients together and combine well
  3. Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well
  4. Drop a tablespoon of dough on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
  5. Bake cookies for 8-10 mins (until edges are golden brown)
  6. As cookies are cooling, sprinkle with a little coconut sugar after baking if desired
  7. Cool cookies for at least 5 mins before serving
  8. (Alternatively, if you are cutting out shapes, refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour and then roll out using a rolling pin and additional almond flour and bake the same way)
Notes
***Please use all organic ingredients if possible***

IMG_9529

IMG_9530

IMG_9532

Thank goodness it only takes 15 mins to keep Santa and ourselves a little healthier this season. If you know someone who could revamp their sugar cookies recipe or buying habits, please share this post with them. We don’t want anyone poisoning Santa!

Happy Holidays,

SugarCookiesTree

112 Responses to “Don’t Poison Santa! {Make This Healthy Sugar Cookie Recipe Instead}”

1. Michaela

I made these the other day and they were SO delicious, I couldn’t stop eating them! Thank you for this healthy and delicious cookie recipe to satisfy my sugar craving! I may have to make these again very soon….

• cookies (to Michaela)

Hi,

I was wondering if you followed the recipe exactly? I did everything it said but the dough stayed exactly the way I dropped it onto the sheet and they just did not expand at all.

• Michaela (to cookies)

Hi, I did follow the recipe except the almond flour I used was not blanched. I think that is what makes the difference, my almond flour was more course and I had the same problem, my cookies did not expand. To fix that, just pat them out flatter before baking. Or buy the blanched flour, if you do did not use it the first time. They were still delicious though, I loved them!

2. Jaclyn

These are so tasty!! Thanks for the healthy and simple recipe. I’m a huge fan of coconut oil and absolutely loved the flavor of all these hearty ingredients combined.

3. LeanChick Uses Coconut Oil

4. Dennis

I have read some studies about Almond Flour being unhealthy when cooked due to the way it changes it chemically. They claim coconut flour to be a better choice and better calorie wise.

5. Wendy

What can I use instead of coconut palm sugar. I don’t have any.

6. Sophie

Great, simple recipe and I love coconut sugar but will never buy it again since finding out that it’s unsustainable – http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_palm_sugar.htm Vani I know that you are trying to be ethical and so maybe this is not something to promote the use of. Although campaigning for sustainable coconut sugar is!

7. Katie

My mom and I have a traditions of making sugar cookies for holidays (i.e. Christmas, Valentine’s day, Easter, etc…) We are definitely going to switch up the tradition by making these! Is there a way to shape these delicious treats into something more festive?

8. doris

I would like to know the calories,fats carbs, and protein make-up of your recipes. It will be a great help for me ,in keeping my weight loss under control. Thanks

9. Julie

We have nut allergies in my house. What’s another type of flour I could use instead of almond? Thanks.

10. debi

if a vegetarian … can you use tofu instead of eggs or something else, just NOT eggs?
    just checking …. thanks

11. Michelle

Hi! I used Namaste Foods Perfect Flour Blend (Gluten free) and noticed that once all ingredients were combined, it wasn’t anywhere near what the picture looked like so I added more coconut oil. When I pulled them out of the oven, they literally crumble in my hands. Any ideas why? Is it the flour I’m using? I went to the store yesterday to buy the blanched almond flour listed in the ingredients, but it was $10 for a bag that will probably only last me through this recipe (I need to make two batches). That’s too expensive for me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to make a healthy cookie for my son’s class for St. Patty’s Day tomorrow.

12. Victor

Michelle I had a similar problem. When I mixed the wet and dry the consistency was no where near the picture so I added two more eggs. They’re in the oven right now.

• sara (to Victor)

same thing happened…followed the recipe exactly and the dough didnt look like the picture and the cookies did not turn out thin and crispy from the outside

13. Victor

Well, lesson one read the entire thread. I used coconut flour and not good for this recipe. Darn it, I was looking forward to these cookies. Oh well!

14. Normandy

How many calories are this delicious cookies Food Babe? Thanks.

15. Tammy

LOVED them. My kids added the extra Sun Drop candies as an extra treat. It’s nice knowing I can feed them special treats that won’t cause unnecessary health issues. Thanks Foodbabe!

16. TJ

These cookies are wonderful! I like a crispy cookie so I cooled the dough in the fridge then placed 1 TBS in plastic wrap and flattened it out. Baked them for a shorter amount of time… and it’s a great little crisp ( healthy ) cookie. :-)
    Thank you Food Babe!