Two reasons not to get your cranberry sauce out of a can:
- It might contain Bisphenol A (Other wise known as BPA), which is a known carcinogen that has been proven to cause birth defects, cancers, and neurological disorders. This substance isn’t banned in the United States but is in Canada. We must speak up by voting with our dollars. We should only support companies that eliminate BPA from their can production so government supported BIG FOOD companies will realize we won’t stand for this toxic junk!
- It will most definitely contain too much sugar and probably the worst kind of sugar that is man made, genetically modified and toxic to your body. The majority of canned cranberry products contain GMO sugar beets, GMO high fructose corn syrup, GMO corn syrup, etc. Just check out the label for Ocean Spray Jellied or Sauce (it’s the same for both).
Ok enough said … here’s a recipe for homemade version that can be made in a matter of minutes. Hope you enjoy this flavorful & delicious cranberry sauce, your health will thank you for it!
- 21 ounces or 3 cartons of cranberries cleaned and drained
- 1 and ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 and ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 and ½ tsp fresh ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup honey or coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup fresh pineapple diced small
- Bring orange juice, orange zest, ginger, and cinnamon to a boil in a large bot
- Add cranberries to mixture, reduce heat and cook 10 mins
- Add pineapple and honey, mix to combine and remove from heat
- Serve immediately or allow to cool before storing for later use
Want more holiday recipes like this? They’re inside the Food Babe Healthy Holiday Guide.
It includes over 100 pages of incredible holiday recipes (appetizers, main entrees, sides and desserts) and tips, along with 7 delicious holiday menus to choose from. All the upcoming holidays are planned out for you – Thanksgiving, to Christmas, to New Years.
GET THE GUIDE: Order my new cookbook, Food Babe Kitchen, and I will email you the Healthy Holiday Guide today as a FREE Gift!
So what am I going to put cranberry sauce on this Thanksgiving? Organic Turkey, of course. More on how to choose the best turkey here.
If you know someone who still buys the can cranberry stuff or supporting Ocean Spray, please share this post with them, I know they will love this recipe.
P.S. This is a great recipe to make in advance, so you are not rushing around on turkey day.