I’ve been craving Chinese food all week. My craving started last week when I ran into my neighbor on the elevator carrying Chinese take out. The MSG I ate decades ago is probably still in my body, I could literally taste the food from the radiating smell coming out of the bag. That’s what MSG does – it creates that familiar taste and smell that captures all your senses. All the fast food chains – McDonalds, Chickfila, etc use it because they know people will keep coming back. It’s also a way for them to trick us into overeating. And MSG does TERRIBLE things to your body. What A-holes.
Then I got a postcard from Hong Kong from our good friend Hutto. It was a sign – I had to eat something Asian quick. Our weekly box of organic farm goods was delivered the day before and we had to make something with all the asparagus and corn we received. So I got creative and sent my husband to the grill while I got busy in the kitchen!
This dish turned out so incredible. Food Babe really surprised herself this time. The combination of the asparagus and the corn was brilliant – all the flavors from the grill and the eggs and the seasonings made this seriously gourmet – this is something I would pay top dollar for in a restaurant. All I need to do next time is serve it in one of those iron rice pots and then TA DAAAA!
But there is no need to pay top dollar for this dish. Here’s the recipe, it’s so easy.
Warning: this is so you good you may want to double the recipe in advance so you have lots of left overs 🙂
Food Babe’s Hong Kong Quinoa
- 1 cup dry uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 bunch of asparagus (about 20 spears)
- 3 ears of fresh corn
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp ponzu sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
***Please note all ingredients are organic***
- Make quinoa to package instructions, replacing half the water with broth
- Lightly spray or coat asparagus and corn with sesame oil and grill until cooked
- Chop grilled asparagus into small pieces and cut the corn off the cobb, place into a bowl and set aside
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine eggs and salt and pepper and whisk and set aside
- Next heat 1 tsp sesame oil in a large skillet on medium heat
- Once oil has heated for 2 mins, add onions, cook onions for about 5-7 min
- Add garlic and cook another 2 mins
- Next create a space in the middle of the pan by pushing onions and garlic to sides and pour egg mixture in the center
- Once eggs start to cook, start to break up the mixture with a spatula into pieces mixing with the onions and garlic
- Once eggs have cooked all the way through (golden yellow color), add cooked quinoa, grilled aparagus, corn kernals, tamari and ponzu to skillet
- Stir until well combined and everything is heated through
- Top with toasted sesame seeds and serve
Makes 4 servings
Thank you so much for inspiring this dish Hutto! We had the best time at your birthday party last week! Here’s some highlights for ya!