This Mexican Lentil Tortilla Soup is an absolute favorite at my house these days. I make a huge pot of it at the beginning of the week, and it lasts me a couple of days. It makes the perfect lunch when it’s reheated and topped off with half an avocado. I love how simple and easy it is to make too – it’s fast on the stove or works in a slow cooker very effortlessly.
Utilizing filling ingredients such as lentils, that are packed with fiber and protein is a great way to lose excess pounds. Also, soups are super nourishing but easy on the waistline because they naturally help you eat less (if the soup doesn’t have hidden MSG which can make you eat more! – so watch out for that – see video below for more details). I made this soup on NBC’s Charlotte Today – which is always fun to do on live TV.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup lentils rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) jar crushed tomatoes
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, more as needed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 sprouted corn tortillas, cut in ½ inch wide pieces
- sliced avocado
- goat cheese
- a squeeze of fresh lime
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the lentils, vegetable broth, tomatoes, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cilantro and tortilla strips. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- To serve, place some of the soup in a bowl and top with the sliced avocado and goat cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be used in a slow cooker, just throw all ingredients into the pot, and cook on high for 4-6 hours
If you want to make this soup (or any soup for that matter) in a slow cooker, you’ve got to check out my partner VitaClay – they are giving the entire Food Babe Army 10% off right now with code: FOODBABE on their website here. They have one of the safest slow cookers on the market because their pot is made out of clay! It’s non-stick chemical-free and perfect for health-conscious living. I have one and love it.
Hope you enjoy this recipe with friends and family – it’s a crowd pleaser, those melted tortillas get them every time.