Kickin’ Kale Juice

Kale is one of the most powerful plant foods in the world. Its one of the things I would take with me on a deserted island. 1 cup of kale contains 190% of your Vitamin A, 90% of your Vitamin C, mega does of B6, Manganese, Calcium, Copper, and Potassium. Kale protects your eyes from the sun, preventing cataracts. The enzymes released from kale go in to your liver and trigger cancer fighting chemicals that literally dissolve unhealthy cells throughout your body. Animals with tumors are given a diet of kale and their tumors actually shrink. These are just some of the benefits!

Juicing kale unlocks even more power because your body is able to absorb the live enzymes and nutrients immediately without having to digest it.

So here it is – This is my everyday recipe for kale juice – I drink some combination of this on most days of the week – frequently switching out different types of kale. The fresh ginger adds a nice kick!

Hope you enjoy this and make it a habit that will bring radiant & wonderful health to you and your family!

Kickin Kale Juice
4.8 from 15 reviews
Food Babe's Kickin' Kale Juice

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 1 bunch dark lacinato kale or curly kale
  • ½ bunch celery
  • ½ bunch cilantro or parsley
  • 1 cucumber with ends removed
  • 1 lemon with peel removed
  • 2 inches of fresh ginger root
  • 1 green apple (optional for added sweetness)
Instructions
  1. Wash all vegetables thoroughly and place into a large bowl
  2. Juice each vegetable in this order – kale, cilantro/parsley, celery, ginger, cucumber, lemon
  3. Stir mixture before serving
  4. Clean juicer immediately
Notes
Makes two 15 ounce servings – Sip slowly and drink with intention immediately after juicing. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 12 hours (Some live enzymes will be lost). ***Please buy all organic ingredients if possible***

IMG 0145

If you like this recipe and want to see more – Like my Fan Page!

XOXO,

, , ,

134 Responses to “Kickin’ Kale Juice”

1. JBP

I drank a green juice with kale and/or spinach in it every day for 40 consecutive days when I did a juice fast two years ago. Also had juiced broccoli on occasion. I had been on a fairly high dose of Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism for 4 years prior to my juice fast. Within 2 weeks of starting the juice fast I had to have my Levo dose lowered, within 21 days I was off the medication completely. My thyroid began functioning normally. I have been doing labs regularly, monitoring my thyroid function over the past 2 years and it is still functioning normally. In my case, the kale didn’t hurt my thyroid, it helped it.

• mary (to JBP)

I too have a hypothyroidism issue…I hope it will work the same for me. I’ve been feeling tired n sluggish lately. I’m ready to start feeling better. One question did a regular dr remove you from the meds or did u see a holistic one for that? Thx Mary

2. Dave

I started juicing using my blender, because I wanted all the pulp included , and using kale has cleared up my eyes ! it’s amazing!

3. Annette Petryshen

I was reading and someone said if you have thyroid problems that you should not juice kale. Why? and what else can you juice that will give alot of liquid. Have been juicing since mid August and love it. I add a medium size lime i prefer it to lemon.

• LaManoBlanco (to Annette Petryshen)

These guys have a ton of great info/research on why it’s smart to change up the greens we use in our juices : http://www.rawfamily.com and they have a ton of yummy recipes too, just like food babe.

4. juiceaday

Hi Food Babe,
    Could you estimate how much juice would come from the kale as compared to the celery? Will the goodness of the juice be affected if I use too much of something.
    And do you recommend using the leaves of the celery as well?

5. carrie

How do i get the most out of kale and spinach? I roll it up in a ball but i feel like i lose most of it to the pulp basket. I have the Breville…what do you suggest?

• Jesse (to carrie)

I have a Hurom juicer. It’s a slow juicer but when I had a Cuisinart juicer, I’d ball up leafy greens

• candy (to carrie)

I bought the Blendtec blender is the best one for juicing

6. Fran

Hi All,
    I have a kitchen aid blender, & my favourite smoothie is 1 pear, a bunch of baby kale/spinach, sometimes celery & cuke, and coconut water. It is really good, and I hope I’m getting some benefit out of it. I suffer with osteoarthritis in one hip and knees, so any additions you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

7. John K

I have a Nutribullet that I got from Macy’s. This thing will turn anything into juice. $100.00. I have to try your recipe. I usually put spinach or kale, a banana or avocado, blueberries, maybe blackberries or strawberries, flax or sunflower seeds and then add some water and in less than a minute it’s all done, all juice. Sometimes thick but no real pulp to speak of.

• Kathy (to John K)

John K, what wattage Nutribullet did you buy? I have seen several with different watts and didn’t know which one to go with.

• John K (to Kathy)

600watt motor, The same one you see on late night TV. It has a gray and silver base. It comes with 2 short and 1 tall cup, handles and lids, power base (motor) extractor and milling blades, nutrition guide and recipe book. I love it! Check here http://www.nutribullet.com

8. Larry

Can I put kale in a jack lalane juicer? Or will it just pulverize it? Sounds good anyway. Thanks

Larry Wheatley

• Mrs. Curry Jr. (to Larry)

Yes, you can! I have one and I juice kale all the time :-)

9. Kathy

I use my vitamix. You need a little pure water or organic apple juice say 1/4-1/2 cup and blend till smooth

10. Stephanie

Celery-flavor overload! Did I not use enough of something? Used chopped, bagged kale so I could only best-guess what a “bunch” was.

11. Shannon

Hi Food Babe,
    I have a question for you :)
    Is it ok to do your juice cleanse right after a surgery (partial Hysterectomy)?
    I’m a member and downloaded your plan but I’m not sure if I should do it before or after. Thanks for all you do!

12. http://bestacnetreatmentproducts54.xtgem.com/

Excellent post, i surely enjoy this fabulous website, keep posting.

• Assistant to Food Babe (Madeline) (to http://bestacnetreatmentproducts54.xtgem.com/)

• Lyzzy (to Assistant to Food Babe (Madeline))

I juiced with my Vita Mix. Really liked a recipe of ice first, my handful of spinace, several leaves of kale and a banana.
        Are bananas healthy? Or added frozen strawberries (so they are readily available and don’t spoil.) I should go back to this juice. Unfortunately my recipe book did not interest me. Well, the ice cream did! Cut the sugar down 3/4 (could I use raw sugar OR Trivia? & how much Trivia?) powdered milk, 2% milk vanila,. Have also used chocolate soy milk. Like to put nuts when it is blended.
        Thank you and God bless you. Lyzzy

13. jerseyvic22

Works great in my Nutri Bullet love that little guy. Add some pineapple an extra digestive boost!!!

14. Assistant to Food Babe (Madeline)

Thanks! I know Vani appreciates that. She has been blogging since April of 2011.

15. Brenda peters

I make this juice and sometimes add one green chilli , which gives it a great kick .
    I juice the kale first , then take that pulp out before juicing the rest of the stuff . I then boil some lentils and put the kale pulp in that and have it for lunch . Absolutely super . Love this site

16. Rose Hatzis

Hi. Can I use the Nutribullett to make this recipe? Cheers.

17. JimM

I love your reports and recipes. I also add turmeric root to my juice along with ginger root for the health benefits. I understand that turmeric root has cancer fighting qualities among other benefits. Keep up the good work.

18. Maria

Instead of juicing, would this work as a smoothie in a Vitamix? Thanks

19. Elle

I too would like answers to all those questions about whether using a blender gives the same benefits, as from what I’ve learned, the point of juicing is to break down cell walls of food.

Now, I’m one of the few who appreciate that a blog is a LOT of work, but someone over there is asleep at the switch. I can’t fathom why no one has deleted the obvious spam comments; they’re months old. What a travesty of a really great blog feature! Grrrr…. I don’t suppose there’s a filter to reject any post that doesn’t use the word “juice/ing/er”…?

20. Mark

Like the looks of this recipe. I have been juicing for the past few months using a Vitamix blender and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I believe using the entire vegetable including fiber is more filling and nutritious, and also easier to clean.

Food babe – like your site and was especially interested in your article about the hidden ingredients in beer. Have not seen this content anywhere else

21. Amanda

I don’t have a juicer can I make it in a vitamix?