Good Morning! I’m all packed and ready to go to Expo West, one of the largest organic & natural food shows. I leave in a few hours for the airport – I can’t wait to get on that plane so I can just zone out and R-E-L-A-X a bit before all the organic and natural food craziness I am about to experience begins.
There’s been a lot of recent news on the use of artificial coloring in processed foods and the determinital health consequences of consuming it. You know I am a “NO FAKE COLOR” kinda girl. I don’t let the food industry
fool me with their dirty tricks. Yes – I gave up Runts, Skittles, Starbursts, M&Ms, you name it, years ago. I haven’t touched something with coloring in it for quite sometime. (Yes, dear cousin – I didn’t eat your BRIGHT red velvet cake at your wedding last year either. I’m so sorry.) Just knowing about what this stuff does to you and where it comes from (petroleum, carcinogens) is enough for me to find alternatives.
If you haven’t read about it yet, Nestle is officially eliminating all it’s artificial coloring from their products in the U.K. (not here yet… sadly). And the same Caramel Coloring they put in soda, which goes in those Sugar Babies to color them “brown” is again studied & proven to be linked to cancer….Now do see why I won’t buy Laffy Taffy and Now and Laters at the checkout stand? (Those have every artificial color under the sun + caramel coloring – A DOUBLE WHAMMY!)
So…. what happens when I am out traveling and I see all those little shops and newsstands peddling snickers and sour patch kids? What if I’m feeling like I want some candy for old times sake? Well… all I have to do is reach into my stash of travel candy…. I don’t leave home without. My friends have a running joke about how I always carry candy with me. It’s kinda funny, because sometimes it just gets old in purse. I normally don’t “crave” candy – but not having the option to have some while traveling drives me bonkers! This is why I stash away a few little baggies of my favorite FREE from artificial coloring and preservative candy….
Check my stash for this trip:
- Panda Licorice – Twizzlers won’t stand a chance
- Golden Berries- Nature’s sour patch kids
- Sesame Candy – Like peanut brittle but better for you
- Green and Black’s Organic White Chocolate – Decadent, sinful with real flakes of vanilla and is not made up of trans fat like most white chocolates
- Seintenbacher Alligator Gummies – Because alligator is my favorite animal and they are nice and chewy (Have I told you I used to have one as a pet?)
- Yummy Earth Butterscotch Candies – Sometimes you need that “just pulled out of grandma’s purse” comforting candy from the past…
- Righteously Raw Bar – Hard core 90% cacao that will satisfy any chocolate craving (Oh and you can win one too! You have until 3/12 to enter here!)
READER QUESTION: So how do you get your candy fix?
For a comprehensive guide on what food coloring can do to you and your body – click here.
Read up and stay color freeeeeee!
See you on the flip side!