Making these turkey meatballs with spaghetti squash is so EASY. It’s one of my husband’s all time favorites too! This meal is hearty without being too indulgent, and is also super healthy when made with organic ingredients. The best part? It can be on your table in less than an hour. My favorite time-saving trick is to use a really good jar of tomato sauce like Yellow Barn. It’s organic, biodynamic and tastes so good you could eat right out of the jar by the spoon! (Video is below to see how I do it! – I had so much fun making this live on NBC’s Charlotte Today)
I ALWAYS buy turkey meat that is not raised with antibiotics and from humane farms – if it isn’t available at the market I’m at, I don’t buy it and choose something else eat. The amount of antibiotics used to raise animals is a huge concern because it’s causing superbugs in our ecosystem. These superbugs are resistant to lifesaving antibiotics and threaten the entire human population. In 2011, 30 million pounds of antibiotics were sold to the farming industry—nearly four times more than were sold to treat people!
If you’ve been watching the news, you might have seen that the FDA has announced a new recommendation regarding the use of antibiotics in livestock. I’m glad they are finally waking up, but the measure is weak because it is completely voluntary. It puts the onus on the pharmaceutical industry to initiate the changes. This is like asking Phillip Morris to voluntarily reduce the use of nicotine in cigarettes. Yeah right.
So what do we need to do? This announcement does little to change the status quo – make sure you are choosing poultry labeled “raised without antibiotics” at the grocery store and at restaurants to stay safe.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 jar of your favorite organic tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded raw parmesan cheese (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice spaghetti squash in half and remove all seeds with spoon
- Place spaghetti squash face down on large baking sheet, add ½ cup water and cover with foil
- Cook spaghetti squash for 45 mins
- While spaghetti squash is cooking, mix together remaining ingredients (except cheese) in a large bowl
- Make 2 tbsp size meatballs with hands and place on a greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 20 mins (along side the spaghetti squash) (turning half way through)
- Remove turkey meatballs from oven, and place into a pan with sauce, warm sauce thoroughly
- Remove spaghetti squash and scrap insides
- Place spaghetti squash in a bowl and pour sauce and meatballs on top
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Now it’s time to watch me make this dish on live TV: (Big thanks to my teammate Krista and Whole Foods Charlotte for providing all the ingredients!) I love how the hostess Ramona Holloway knows how I feel about GMOs :)
- It may take a few seconds for the video to start.
- If the video player has a black bar covering up part of the screen hit the little “CC” button at the bottom right to turn off closed captioning before you play the video (if you like).
What’s your guy or gal’s favorite “healthy” meal. I would love to know.