There is a way to treat yourself without poisoning your body with refined sugar, processed flours, corn syrup and other nasty ingredients found in most desserts! In all honesty, you can avoid these ingredients for the rest of your life and still enjoy eating delicious sweet treats – and it all comes down to the ingredients!
Simply choose desserts that are made from ingredients like nuts, dates, and maple syrup, which are full of vitamins and minerals that provide nutrition to the body. At the same time avoid processed cane, corn, or beet sugars and flours that have been chemically stripped of nutrition. When you indulge in these types of ingredients, they don’t do your body any favors! You also make your body more acidic, because sugars devoid of minerals are acid-forming – and we know that it’s better to eat mostly alkaline foods if we want to avoid disease.
That’s not to say that you should go crazy and eat an entire pan of almond butter brownies… but if you are going to treat yourself this is the way to do it!
Today, I’m going to show you how to make this delicious spread of healthy desserts without even turning on your oven! Yum!
1. BLUEBERRY “CHEESECAKE” BARS
These bars are made without any dairy at all but taste like cheesecake! They are cool and refreshing and make a fantastic summer treat!
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- ⅓ cup raw honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups walnuts
- 10-12 medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Pinch sea salt
- To make the filling, place the cashews, honey, coconut oil, cinnamon, lemon juice and blueberries in a blender and blend until smooth.
- To make the crust, place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the dates and salt and pulse until well combined. Add coconut oil and pulse once more.
- To assemble, line a 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Firmly press the crust into the pan to create an even layer. Add the filling and spread evenly over the crust. Place in the freezer for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, cut the “cheesecake” into squares and serve with fresh berries, if desired. Enjoy!
2. SALTED CARAMEL BROWNIES
You can make an amazing “caramel sauce” with just almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. And it tastes so delicious drizzled over these refrigerator brownies!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 10-12 dates
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1-2 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Place the walnuts and almonds in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the cacao and salt and pulse to combine. With the food processor running, add the dates, one at a time until they are all combined. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Line a 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and place the brownie mix in the pan. Press down to form an even layer.
- To make the caramel topping, whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle some of the caramel topping over the brownies and place the pan in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to set. Cut into squares and enjoy!
3. STRAWBERRY CHIA JAM WITH YOGURT AND PISTACHIO CRISP
The pistachio crisp on this treat is the bomb! It’s like a crunchy, sweet and nutty candy that goes perfect with chia jam and yogurt. This dessert is sweet and creamy, and makes a nice alternative to ice cream!
- 16 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh strawberry, hulled
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- honey or maple syrup, to sweeten if desired
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- To make the chia jam, place the strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the chia seeds, orange juice and sweetener, if using. Blend to combine. Place in a glass jar in the refrigerator to allow the chia seeds to expand, at least 1 hour.
- To make the pistachio crisp, Place a saute pan over medium heat. Add the pistachios, chia seeds and sesame seeds and toast lightly, 1-2 minutes. Drizzle the honey over the nuts and seeds and stir so they begin to form clumps. Take off the heat and let cool.
- To serve, place 8 ounces of yogurt in a bowl and top with 1-2 tablespoons of chia jam and some of the pistachio crisp. Enjoy!
Check out my yogurt buying tips here.
If you know someone who is tired of the summer heat and would love to cool down with some delicious no-bake treats like these, please share this post with them!