If given the choice between a muffin and a scone, I’ll take the scone every single time. I’ve even been known to eat scones for dessert (instead of breakfast) on more than one occasion. There’s something about that dry, flaky texture that I love. For some reason, however, I haven’t made scones that often until now. Living an organic, non-GMO lifestyle doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite foods. You just need to know how to make them with the cleanest ingredients. This recipe for blueberry lemon scones is fantastic and super easy. The scones are perfect for a weekend brunch, a treat or to make ahead and freeze for later.
There are two special ingredients in this recipe. The first ingredient is Nutiva’s new organic vegan superfood shortening blend. This shortening replaces the “Crisco” (that’s full of heart clogging trans fat and GMOs) that most scone recipes call for. Nutiva’s shortening is a blend of organic coconut oil and red palm oil (not to be confused with the palm oil that is harvested unsustainably and destroying animals habitats). Nutiva’s commitment to obtaining red palm oil through sustainable practices makes it one of the most unique products available on the market. Whole Foods is now carrying this product, and you’ll find it in the baking supplies section of the store because it doesn’t need to be refrigerated.
The second ingredient is coconut palm sugar. This type of sugar is a perfect 1 to 1 substitute for any recipe that calls for regular old sugar. One of the big pluses of coconut palm sugar – it’s completely unrefined and not bleached like typical refined white sugar, helping to preserve all of its teeming vitamins and minerals. It is naturally high in amino acids – has 10,000 times more potassium, 20 times more magnesium and 20 times more iron than conventional sugar. Converting to this type of sugar could also lower your risk of developing diabetes because its glycemic index is half of that compared to sugar.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl place the shortening in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the shortening with the back of a fork or pastry cutter until the size of a pea.
- Add the lemon zest and blueberries and mix gently to combine.
- In a small bowl mix the egg and the coconut milk together. Add to the dry ingredients and mix only until combined.
- Roll the dough out on a floured cutting board until it is 1'' thick. Cut the scones into your desired shape and put on a baking sheet. Brush with the 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- While baking make the lemon glaze by combining the coconut palm nectar with the lemon juice.
- Drizzle on top of each scone when they first come out of the oven.
Nutiva has kindly offered to give away a package of coconut palm sugar and a tub of their organic vegan superfood shortening to 10 members of the Food Babe Army!
To Enter The Giveaway, Follow These 3 Simple Steps:
- Sign up for Food Babe Updates. Remember to click the link in the first confirmation email and add me to your address book so you will be eligible.
- AND leave a comment below.
- BONUS – If you Like My Facebook Fan Page, Follow Me on Twitter, Pinterest and Subscribe to my You Tube channel – your entry will count times two!
- Please enter by 6/1 Midnight PST.
If you don’t want to enter the giveaway, you can purchase Nutiva shortening and coconut palm sugar here or at Whole Foods.
Don’t forget to spread the word about this giveaway to your friends and family, if they win, they might make you some scones!
Good luck, hope you enjoy the recipe.