Not only is this Tabbouleh full of flavor and delicious, but it is filled with ingredients that help to detox your body!
If you’ve heard that “detoxing is a myth”, then you have to read this post where I share the science behind detoxing. The truth is that our bodies are working overtime every day to process all of the substances that come in and to expel toxins – but they are being pushed to the brink. When our organs are overtaxed and overburdened with toxins, symptoms can creep up such as fatigue, digestion problems, bloating, weight gain and muscle aches. When these symptoms go unchecked and our bodies are not able to detox optimally, we are at risk for greater health problems down the road.
Dr. Mark Hyman, M.D. (a member of my advisory counsel and a trusted mentor) says that detoxification starts in the diet. Dr. Hyman is a huge advocate of supporting the natural detoxification processes in the body with specific foods, such as lemons, garlic, and cruciferous vegetables.
Here’s how these specific ingredients in this recipe helps your body detox:
- Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that boosts our liver’s own detoxifying enzymes.
- Scallions and broccoli are both high in sulfur, which is a compound that helps your body detox and can prevent kidney damage from exposure to heavy metals.
- Parsley has a diuretic affect on the body and has been shown to help protect the liver from damage (your body’s main detox organ).
- Pumpkin seeds have more chlorophyll than any other nut or seed and is packed with antioxidants that protect cells from free radical damage.
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more as needed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped mint
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Place the broccoli in a food processor and pulse until a rice like consistency has formed. Pour into a bowl along with the remaining ingredients. Mix to combine.
- To serve, place half on the tabbouleh on a plate and top with half of the pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
Share this recipe with all of your friends and family who need a tasty recipe and a little detoxing in their life!