Two reasons not to get your cranberry sauce out of a can.
1. It might contain Bisphenol A - Other wise known as BPA – which is a known carcinogen that has been proven to cause birth defects, cancers, and neurological disorders. This substance isn’t banned in the United States – but is in Canada. We must speak up by voting with our dollars. We should only support companies that eliminate BPA from their can production so government supported BIG FOOD companies will realize we won’t stand for this SHIT!
2. It will most definitely contain too much sugar and probably the worst kind of sugar that is man made, genetically modified and toxic to your body. The majority of canned cranberry products contain – GMO sugar beets, GMO high fructose corn syrup, GMO corn syrup, etc. Just check out the label for Ocean Spray Jellied or Sauce (it’s the same for both).
Ingredients: Cranberries, high fructose corn syrup, water, corn syrup
Ok enough said …
So what am I going to put cranberry sauce on this Thanksgiving? Turkey, of course. I plan on making
Alton Brown’s Recipe with one exception – I won’t be using a microwave to warm up the aromatics and all of my ingredients will be organic of course. If you have never used this recipe before – I really believe it is one of the absolute best and my family enjoys this delicious, juicy, organic bird year after year with no complaints – which is a BIG DEAL!
- 21 ounces or 3 cartons of cranberries cleaned and drained
- 1 and ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 and ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 and ½ tsp fresh ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 cup fresh pineapple diced small
- Bring orange juice, orange zest, ginger, and cinnamon to a boil in a large bot
- Add cranberries to mixture, reduce heat and cook 10 mins
- Add pineapple and honey, mix to combine and remove from heat
- Serve immediately or allow to cool before storing for later use
Hope you enjoy this flavorful & delicious cranberry sauce – your health will thank you for it!
If you have any questions or comments – you know where to find me! Please leave a comment here or on my Facebook Wall!