Two reasons not to get your cranberry sauce out of a can.
1. It might contain Bisphenol A (Other wise known as BPA), which is a known carcinogen that has been proven to cause birth defects, cancers, and neurological disorders. This substance isn’t banned in the United States but is in Canada. We must speak up by voting with our dollars. We should only support companies that eliminate BPA from their can production so government supported BIG FOOD companies will realize we won’t stand for this SHIT! (excuse my language – can you tell I’m fired up today?)
2. It will most definitely contain too much sugar and probably the worst kind of sugar that is man made, genetically modified and toxic to your body. The majority of canned cranberry products contain GMO sugar beets, GMO high fructose corn syrup, GMO corn syrup, etc. Just check out the label for Ocean Spray Jellied or Sauce (it’s the same for both).
Ok enough said … here’s a recipe for homemade version that can be made in a matter of minutes. Hope you enjoy this flavorful & delicious cranberry sauce, your health will thank you for it!
- 21 ounces or 3 cartons of cranberries cleaned and drained
- 1 and ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 and ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 and ½ tsp fresh ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup honey or coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup fresh pineapple diced small
- Bring orange juice, orange zest, ginger, and cinnamon to a boil in a large bot
- Add cranberries to mixture, reduce heat and cook 10 mins
- Add pineapple and honey, mix to combine and remove from heat
- Serve immediately or allow to cool before storing for later use
So what am I going to put cranberry sauce on this Thanksgiving? Organic Turkey, of course. I plan on making
Alton Brown’s Recipe with a couple of exceptions. I won’t be using a microwave to warm up the aromatics, I will be replacing the canola oil with coconut oil and all of my ingredients will be organic of course. If you have never used this recipe before, I really believe it is one of the absolute best and my family enjoys this delicious, juicy, organic bird year after year with no complaints, which is a SUPER BIG DEAL!
If you know someone who still buys the can cranberry stuff or supporting Ocean Spray, please share this post with them, I know they will love this recipe.