How many of us eat a healthy diet but still run by a coffee shop to pick up a latte on the way to work or reward ourselves with a mocha in the afternoon? Of course we know these coffee drinks contain sugar – but do we really think about how much and how that sugar is affecting our bodies? We might think twice about all the sugar in a donut or a candy bar, but what about what’s in your coffee?
As reported by CNN recently:
“A drink you buy at Starbucks could contain up to 25 teaspoons of sugar per serving, according to a new report by British campaign group Action on Sugar. That’s three times the amount of sugar in one can of Coke, and more than three times the maximum adult daily intake recommended by the American Heart Association…. When you are consuming sugar in hot drinks, it’s easy to drink a large volume of liquid in a short time, and any sugar it contains is very rapidly absorbed into the body. It would, for example, be much harder to consume the same amount of sugar if it was in the form of rice. It’s one of the particular problems with sugary hot drinks… “you have a spike in sugar levels in the blood — and as everyone knows, what goes up must come down. The pancreas releases lots of insulin in response. A very high rise and rapid fall of sugar in the bloodstream may be bad for health – it may put you at risk… of laying down of fat under the skin and, more worryingly, in the guts, liver and pancreas.” – Sugar overload: What your hot drink is doing to your body”, CNN
Just think about this next time you have an urge to go on a coffee run: One Starbucks Drink Can = Three Cans of Coke.
I’ve really turned my attention to sugar in the diet lately, and if you subscribe to my email newsletter you’ve been receiving all of my updates on the latest information that I’m uncovering. You’re also sending me stories about your personal struggles with sugar and as you’re paying closer attention to how much sugar is hidden in everyday foods, many of you have been astounded.
I knew that this was a real issue for so many of us, including myself. That’s why I created an innovative new program – The Food Babe 7-Day Sugar Detox Program – which will help us all tame our sugar cravings and will show us how to have a healthier relationship with all of the sugar that is in our lives (you can find all the details about this program here).
I wanted to give you a little preview of the type of information that is included in the 7-Day Sugar Detox Program which also addresses a question that I’ve gotten a lot: What is the best way to sweeten coffee without refined sugar?
Next time you reach for the sugar bowl, try stirring one of these in your coffee instead:
I’ve tried all these substitutes and they work – I haven’t had to put sugar in my coffee since!
- Cinnamon – Adding cinnamon to your coffee adds a hint of sweetness and also provides the immune system with a boost, which we can all use in the morning! I just sprinkle a little bit on top, but some people stir it into the grounds before brewing or stick in a cinnamon stick. If you would like to vary the flavor you can also try nutmeg or cardamom.
- Nut Milk, Coconut Milk, Coconut Cream or Organic Cream – This is a great way to add an instant full bodied feel to your coffee. Coconut is naturally sweet and will sweeten your coffee without refined sugar. What I like to do is add my homemade coconut milk to a milk frother before adding it to my coffee (and then topping it with cinnamon). The frother really helps to add creaminess – you’ll never miss the dairy creamers! For extra flavor, you can add a bit of vanilla extract to the coconut or nut milk to create your own homemade vanilla dairy-free creamer.
- Unsweetened Cocoa or Cocao Powder – The chocolate mixed with the coffee enhances the subtle notes in the beans that you may not have noticed before. Cacao has also been shown to provide important antioxidants which can increase the overall quality of your morning coffee. A small amount can be stirred into the coffee itself or into the grounds before brewing.
- Vanilla Extract or Almond Extract – It’s naturally sweet on its own and is an amazing way to wean yourself off of using added sugar or sweeteners. Just stir in a couple drops.
- Grass-fed butter + Coconut oil – While adding butter to your coffee may sound odd to you, the effect of adding a healthy fat such as coconut oil to your coffee is that it creates a fullness and helps with energy levels. Grass-fed butter and coconut oil will add natural creaminess especially when you blend it into your coffee with a hand blender (don’t just stir it in), and make sure to use organic unsalted grass-fed butter – here are my picks. A tablespoon of coconut oil by itself is also used to fight off cravings, especially for sugar.
- Sea Salt – Seems counter intuitive, but did you know that adding a pinch of sea salt to a pot of coffee can help to enhance the natural sweetness? It’s been shown that salt reduces bitterness, so your coffee will seem sweeter without any sugar. Just be sure to only add a little pinch (either to the grounds before brewing or to the entire pot) and don’t go overboard or your coffee will taste salty! I like to use this along with one of the other options above.
Have you tried any of these in your coffee?
If you are used to the hyper-sweetened drinks from coffee shops these might take a little bit of time to get used to, but I know from personal experience that when you start implementing these healthier substitutes your body will start to crave them – and the cravings for sugar become less and less.
Pretty much everyone can agree that processed food and sugar are diet killers, and do nothing good for the body, yet sugar seems to control our lives and many of us struggle with uncontrollable cravings and mood swings that make it seem impossible to stop.
But it is very possible! Many people have done it and have seen their health soar (and the pounds melt off) as a result! My entire team recently completed the Food Babe 7-Day Sugar Detox Program and all felt amazing positive effects. I want to help you feel your best too, and invite you to join us!
Here’s what you get instantly when you join:
- Intro Guide – I’ll show you how to avoid hidden sugar traps and move forward to a healthy relationship with your body and food cravings. You’ll learn the facts about what sugar does to the body and why this detox is so life-changing.
- 7-Day Sugar Detox Plan – This will break down exactly how you are going to be eating, where to find strategies to reduce your sugar cravings, and where to spot all the hidden sugars that might be lurking in your pantry and life!
- 7-Day Sugar Detox Recipe Guides – Two sets of Sugar Detox recipes for 7 days. Whether you are a vegan, gluten-free, paleo, vegetarian or a meat eater, I’ve got you covered. Delicious real-food breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack recipes that are free of grains and refined sugar, along with shopping lists.
- After Detox Guide – Everything you’ll need to know to carefully adjust your body back to a regular diet and the learn the best way to still enjoy sweets without the sugar highs and lows.
- Weekly Food Journal – The ultimate tool to hold yourself accountable and keep yourself on track.
- Exclusive Instructional Videos – I personally walk you through the program, give you advice for when nighttime sugar cravings hit, and provide info on healthier sugar swaps to make your detox a piece of cake!
- Private Sugar Detox Forum – Interact with other people on the 7 Day Detox plan just like you. This is a place where we can support and cheer each other on! I’ve found that having a community to back you up and help hold you accountable is so valuable to achieving success. I also love that this will be a place where we can privately share our experiences without judgement – since a lot of us are all facing the same type of struggles!
Join us here now! Let’s detox from sugar together.
Hope to see you there.