Happy New Year!!! It’s officially 2015 and I can’t imagine not recapping this past year. It was full of excitement, surprising turns and lots of hard work. A big thank you goes out to my team and you, the Food Babe Army, that made all this possible! Here are my favorite top moments of 2014…
- Finding out McDonalds serves organic milk in Happy Meals in Europe made my head spin – that was just the tip of the iceberg of what I found out about how food companies get away with absolutely unethical behaviors! 22 days after this blog post was published, McDonalds announced that they may start offering organic items in the United States. Go Food Babe Army Go!
- 10 Grocery Store Items To Never Buy Again – This investigation was inspired by you and one of the most popular from the year!
- Pizza! Not only do I love it, I had to find out the truth about all the most popular pizza chains. Don’t worry though, I don’t leave anyone hanging – I also share my favorite at home version that’s simple to make and takes less than 20 mins.
Favorite Speaking Event
I spoke at many places and events this year, but one really stood out. The National Heirloom Expo in Santa Rosa, California was absolutely amazing! This is one of the most inspiring events I have ever been to – imagine hundreds of varieties of heirloom fruits and vegetables, the top food activists and organic farmers in the country all meeting in one place! Not only did I get to eat some of the best organic food all year, I met so many members of The Food Babe Army – you! I also got to meet Percy Schmeiser, a canola farmer from Canada that was sued by Monsanto – his words really made a lasting impact on me.
- My Mom’s Homemade Yogurt. I’ve eaten this recipe as far back as I can remember. Actually learning how to make it with my mom and getting to share it with you was awesome.
- Sunrise Green Smoothie – Watching my friends stay on track while on vacation was such a surprise!
- Creamy Kale & Artichoke Dip – One of the best appetizers to serve while watching the game, for a party or get together!
- See more favorites here..
Favorite Food Babe Army Activism Moments
We had a lot of successes this past year and received a ton of world-wide press (see some of it here)… I am still in awe of what we accomplished and the awakening we continue to have as a nation!
- We petitioned Subway to remove azodicarbonamide (an ingredient banned in other countries linked to health issues) from their bread and gained almost 100,000 signatures! The petition was a success, not only did Subway remove it, almost every major bakery in America in the process of doing it!
- We petitioned to Anheuser Busch and Millercoors to publish ingredients online and received over 60,000 signatures! And then within 24 hours, Anheuser Busch announced they will publish the ingredients for the first time in history!
- We shared an investigation into the artificial additives at Panera Bread so much that they finally announced the removal of all artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners and preservatives from its food by 2016!
- We shared the research from The Cornucopia Institute and the investigation into carrageenan so much, that WhiteWave (who owns Silk and Horizon) announced plans to remove all carrageenan from their products in 2015, due to our concerns!
- Starbucks stated that they are actively looking into phasing caramel coloring out of their drinks and are considering listing ingredients on their website, following an investigation into the Pumpkin Spice Latte that went viral – thanks to the Food Babe Army!
- Chick-Fil-A finally announced they would begin to serve chicken raised without antibiotics within the next five years. Sourcing chicken that wasn’t routinely fed antibiotics was my #1 request of them when they invited me to their headquarters in 2011. This story was featured in several major media outlets, but recently in a front page article in The Wall Street Journal too!
Getting published by the NY Times in “Room For Debate” was pretty cool too!…
Favorite International News
Our work was covered in so many international countries! Here are a few that stood out:
- Toronto Star (Toronto, Canada) – Why Big Food Fears The Food Babe
- El Tiempo FRONT PAGE (Colombia, South America) – Talking with Food Babe, the terror of food manufactures
- POLITIKEN (Denmark, Copenhagen) – Food Babe er general for en hær af amerikanske madaktivister
- The Times of India – The Food Babe Who Has Bite
- Financial Times (London) FRONT PAGE – Food Babe Wins Battle with King of Beers
Favorite Blog Post
I could hardly stop awing and gushing about these sweet thangs sipping on green juice enough to write about it. Your pictures continue to inspire and amaze me – I have a lot of new ones I want to share this year too. Keep sending them!
Favorite TV Moments
- The Doctors – I talked about a popular cake mix, new FDA nutrition labels, something hidden in food that makes you eat more than you should and much more.
- Fox & Friends – Spreading the news about Starbucks’s double standard – not using caramel coloring level IV in Europe and not posting their ingredients online.
- CNN (several appearances) – talking with Sanjay Gupta was surreal! I also enjoyed debating on The Lead with Jake Tapper.
- A Healthy You & Carol Alt – I love Carol Alt. She is one brave woman, and one that motivates me to shoot for the stars every time we talk!
- Home & Family on The Hallmark Channel – Love this set, this show, everything about it! So much fun!
- ABC News & Good Morning America – Watching myself eat a yoga mat on National TV was quite a moment!
- Voted 2014’s Healthiest Facebook Page by The Dr. Oz Show
- Dr. Mark Hyman’s Favorite Facebook Pages
- Charlotte Magazine Best of the Best Awards – Best Blog
I attend many fundraisers each year, but the one I host with my dear friend Max Goldberg (From Living Maxwell and Pressed Juice Directory) has to be my absolute favorite! This tradition to raise funds for GMO-labeling began three years ago. We started with California in 2012, then Washington in 2013, and this past year for Oregon and Colorado. Even though we didn’t win in 2014 (or 2013, or 2012), we are still moving forward! I’m incredibly honored to be a part of the transparency and right to know movement with you. The organic food sector continues to grow each year – giving access to safer food to more people! Thank you to the friends, activists and companies that attend this fundraiser every year!
Turning in the final edits for my upcoming book The Food Babe Way! This is by far, the hardest thing I have ever worked on in my life – I made sure to put thoughtful care into every single page to inspire you, help you and to guide you into not only feeling great, but how to live so you never have to diet again and inspire those around you to be healthy too. I simply can’t wait for you to read it – the new investigations and cutting edge health information in this book will change your life!
What would you like to see happen in 2015? I’d love to know!
See you in the comments… Happy New Year!!!!