Years ago, after I found out that my favorite protein powder was recalled for rat droppings (yuck!), I realized that I needed to be more careful and investigate my supplements – and that included protein powders. Many of the most popular protein powders on the market are filled with highly processed denatured proteins, unnecessary chemicals, preservatives, GMOs and other additives – and I’m here to tell you don’t need to waste your money buying them anymore. There is a much better option!
I created this quick video to show you how easy it is to make a delicious protein shake without any protein powder – just by using REAL food ingredients. It tastes so refreshing and is perfect to make ahead to have after a workout or for breakfast. I also share with you which types of protein powders I avoid at all costs, and why.
Watch me make this here:
Where does the protein in this smoothie come from?
- Hemp seeds: This is my favorite source of protein! It’s a more digestible protein than other sources of protein like meat and dairy, and better for the planet.
- Leafy greens: Depending on the types of greens you use, you can vary the amount of protein in this recipe. If you use kale, it’s got about 8 grams of protein in the 3 cups that go into this recipe. If you use spinach, you’ll get closer to 3 grams in those 3 cups.
- Pumpkin seeds: These seeds are packed with over 5 grams of protein in three tablespoons.
- 3 cups dark leafy greens
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen papaya
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- ½ lime squeezed
- Add the water and leafy greens to a blender and blend well
- Add the remaining ingredients, blend, and serve!
- Optional: Store in fridge up to 48 hours to consume later.
These are the supplies I used in this video:
If you have any additional burning questions about papayas – like how to find non-GMO papayas and what to do with the seeds, I answer it all in this post.
This is just a sneak peak into the types of exclusive videos and recipes that you’ll get if you join the Food Babe Membership Program.
I include smoothie recipes like this as a regular part of this program because it’s one of the best ways to get greens in your diet, provide your body a rich source of chlorophyll on a daily basis, and ultimately is one of the key actions you can take to keep your body in an alkaline state to avoid disease.
When you join, you’ll get hundreds of pages of my tested tricks and tips to making healthy eating mindless, and a monthly meal plan full of Food Babe approved recipes and guidelines. You’ll also get exclusive how-to videos and access to live group check-ins with me, where you can ask me anything.
If you know someone who could upgrade their protein, please share this recipe with them. Who knows, maybe they’ll make you one too!